Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 01:06 PM

106 posts, read 245,369 times

Advertisements

I currently live in LA, and thinking of moving to EL Paso, especially because it's more affordable to buy a house or an apartment and it seems like it's more slow paced over there. My main concern is regarding crime and guns; coming from California, (Burbank-Glendale area) where it is really safe in terms of crime, although the traffic, and the driving in Glendale is crazy.

How is exactly the gun culture there? Do you see people with guns in public places? Is it the same as in other big cities in Texas, like Houston, Austin, etc. or is it a little more liberal since there are a lot of hispanics?

Also, how safe is the city in general regarding to crime? Can you walk at night and feel safe? I've seen some statistics and it looks that it's a safe place although you never know how accurate those are.

Here is one from Areavibes comparing Los Angeles, El Paso and Burbank:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I like the Mexican and hispanic culture, but I don't feel comfortable seeing guns or knowing that most of the people can carry one.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Yac; 05-18-2021 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 01:13 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
I spend 3 days there as a visitor from Seattle. I was there strictly to see if relocation was a possibility due to the lower housing costs later on. I can only speak for the traffic and driving around aspect. It is NOT slow paced whatsoever. I dreaded trips on the main freeway I10. I thought the city 4 hours north Albuquerque is slower paced and more enjoyable to live.

Last edited by 87112; 05-14-2021 at 01:32 PM..

Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 AM

45 posts, read 102,426 times
The traffic in El Paso must be beyond horrible if "87112" says it is. I say this not to be sarcastic. I live in a little town way north of Seattle, and if I need to drive on I-5 through Seattle it's always so stressful.

I think when you are a visitor in a city and you're learning your way around, that creates stress and you might think the traffic is bad. It's not. It's just you trying not to get lost.

I am very interested in retiring in El Paso due to being one of the safest cities. As the OP indicated, I also have a fear of the gun culture. You can mock that as you will, but that's just the way it is. I would want to live in a part of El Paso that did not require a lot of driving on I-10 and could walk to stores as needed.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:12 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/op...der/732292002/

It's awful driving there. A couple of merges and exits on I10 on Gateway east and west will have you wanting to take the bus. Shortest merge area I have ever encountered on any freeway in America. See it for yourself.

If you want to walk everywhere and leave the car behind. I suggest staying at this Airbnb where I was at, everything is within a short bike ride away. You could probably just buy a moped and sell the car if you move to that area. Pretty good neighborhood, quiet felt very middle class.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4557869...sts=1&adults=1

Last edited by 87112; 05-15-2021 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 01:31 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Traffic isnt that bad here. Worse on the east side than rest of city.
Very safe city. Ranked one of the top 3 safest cities of it's size in the country every year for last 5 yrs. There is a section in ne part of town that has some problems, but in general very safe.
If guns bother you stay in ca. I haven't seen people walking around with guns here, but with recent legislation being voted on, you may see it more. And that's ok. Most Texans are very comfortable handling guns safely. It puts you in less danger than the illegal guns on the street in CA that you don't see. We don't want more liberals looking to califorize our state.
Its liberal policies that have caused high prices, high taxes, homeless problems and crime in liberal states. It makes no sense to try to move to get away from that and then vote for the same policies that ruined the last state you left.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:00 AM

344 posts, read 416,816 times
I’ve been year for all but one of the last six years. Never felt safer. Never seen anyone with a gun in public, never considered carrying concealed. Crimes from strangers (carjacking, home invasions, even armed robbery) very rare. I’m retired so I don’t drive in rush hour regularly but when I do it isn’t that bad, especially if you’re coming from SoCal. I’ve been to Burbank many times, beautiful climate. Your biggest adjustment may be getting used to living in the middle of a desert. Much hotter than SoCal and very little green.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:24 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
El Paso is a safe city. Don't be afraid of guns. Cities with more legal gun ownership have less crime. It is not the wild west of the past.
Like other cities there are areas that are safer than others.
Traffic is not bad especially if you're coming from SoCal! The neighborhoods are very quiet and have a hometown feel. People are friendly and not so much into themselves as in CA.
IMO the climate is excellent with a taste of winter, very sunny, a small rainy season in the summer and with fantastic fall seasons.
It can get hot and windy but not nearly as hot as in AZ or Palm Springs.
El Paso is a well kept secret.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 05-16-2021 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-16-2021, 10:28 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I thought the city 4 hours north Albuquerque is slower paced and more enjoyable to live.
You need to check out the crime rate in Albuquerque...

Old 05-16-2021, 03:38 PM

271 posts, read 305,657 times
We just returned from El Paso and enjoyed it. Seemed safe- there was a gun shop with an anti Biden sign but aside from that it seemed like a very nice place - fairly diverse and progressive. And great Mexican, steak, and Middle Eastern food at 30% less than Northern California prices.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:59 PM

727 posts, read 304,658 times
I don't mean to come off as rude or snarky. With that being said, guns are definitely part of the Texas culture. I moved here almost a year ago. I am retired Law Enforcement so guns are nothing new to me. Texas takes the second amendment very seriously here. Just because people exercise their constitutional right doesn't make them bad people. I know people of all ages, shapes & sizes that I frequently see at the shooting range. As another person stated, it's not cool to move to a place and try and change the culture because you are intimidated by it or don't agree with it. Try having an open mind. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso