U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 AM

809 posts, read 2,742,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
Thats good to know, I never have done any research on Kirkland Air Force base, you really never hear anything mentioned about it on a regular bases, but I'm sure they all have their vital contributions to make to keep the free world safe.

Question? how many stack freeways does Albuquerque have?
There are 2 Stack interchanges in Albuquerque, with 1 in the planning stages now at I-25 & Paseo Del Norte which is going to run about 300 million.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM

639 posts, read 858,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
There are 2 Stack interchanges in Albuquerque, with 1 in the planning stages now at I-25 & Paseo Del Norte which is going to run about 300 million.
OK where exactly is the second stack, um, I would assume that it was built after 2004 I did a little google earth and I went up I-25 south to north, saw the big I, then I scaned I-40 from east to west and saw the big I again and how many levels?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 AM

The stack at I-40 & Coors was completed in 2004 & is a 3 level stack. It doesn't show up on any satellite images yet. The Big I is a MASSIVE 5 stack interchange. The stack at I-25 & Paseo Del Norte will be a 3 or 4 stack interchange. The coors interchange is landscaped as you can see in the photos, the Big I is currently being landscaped & the Paseo interchange will be lanscaped when completed.
NOTE: If you do a google earth, try the STREET VIEW feature that the Albuquerque image has.....It's really neat street level views of any street highlighted in blue. You can see the Coors Stack on it.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM

I saw the big I, it looks really big as I stated at the begining of my thread, I also notice that El Paso has two additional stacks that no one ever mentions, where the patriot freeway merges with the border freeway and delta street thats a good size three level stack, and theres also another three level stack close to Fort Bliss a bit smaller.

And there three more stacks coming to a freeway near you in El Paso, Americas at I10 and two more on the new inner loop freeway, it's gonna look like LA before long, I think they should built interstate 25 into El Paso running parralle and west of I10 and connect it to the border freeway via Paisano.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:12 PM

Actually stack interchanges are not very eye appealing, so landscaping does wonders for these concrete giants. Albuquerque nor El Paso will never have the freeways or stack interchanges that LA has. I think as these cities grow, alternative transportation methods will be used.
I'm not sure what constitutes a STACK INTERCHANGE.....might be the amount of connecting ramps, or something else. Because the Texas freeway web sight only lists one stack in El Paso, so not too sure why the don't list the ones you mentioned.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Well take a look for yourself, check out google earth, go to El Paso's spaghetti bowl and just south and not very far from and there you have a three level stack, go in the opposit direction and you'll see the other smaller one.

I always thought that stacks were cookoo in la cabeza for anyone to figure their way in and out and them,I know that stacks are maybe not very appealing pending how they are built and what they might look like thereafter, like say Albuquerques, they planed it right, yet I did some exploring and theres seems to be several streets below the over passes that deem unusefulness, yet I give you credit for the landscaping it inhances it alot plus the southwestern pastel colors, it looks nice.

Oh and that guy that did the report on Texas freeways website, I dont have kind words for him after what he said about El Paso.....never mind.

Would'nt stack interchange consist of three or more roads atop one another forming a stack it only makes sense?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:37 AM

I'm not arguing with you about those two other stacks, I just said the Texas freeway web sight doesn't have them listed.
The roads under the Big I are not useless, they are frontage roads that connect Lomas, Menaul & University BLVDS. which are major streets that are too close to have their own ramps, so the frontage roads connect them to other ramps down the road. They actually work very well.
As for what is considered a Stack Interchange....I don't know, It looks like junctions that have several ramps and roadways that cross over each other.
Here is a site that explains a STACK!

Stack interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by observe; 05-24-2008 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-24-2008, 10:50 AM

Here's a little more info on the Big I

Big I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Nope, I'm not arguing I'm curious as to why they would'nt list them that way, maybe there just an extension of the spaghetti bowl I dont know and nothing worth arguing over.

I just want to compliment Albuquerque as I ventured into wiki I saw this cool aerial photo of downtown with the big I and the Rio Grande in the background, I think it has a geographical advantage over El Paso, thats what propels it's commerce, (location).

Old 05-24-2008, 01:44 PM

43 posts, read 163,235 times
too bad wiki doesn't have an entry for El Paso's Spaghetti Bowl, i guess it's not special enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso