U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:22 AM

639 posts, read 855,333 times

Advertisements

I was googling Albuquerques big I out of curosity so I went and took a closer look at it it looks alot bigger than El Paso's spaghetti bowl but I then investigate to see how they made it look bigger, they have several streets below the interchage running into intersections making it look wider and bigger but most of those streets seem uncessary because I followed the over passes and lower streets and they merge right back into their freeways.

El Paso's freeways dont come without their own flaws, but actually El Paso's spaghetti bowl was perectly planed, the Patriot freeway was made very wide as if massive traffic from NE El Paso was going to overflow and become bumper to bumper traffic, but I think that those gateway blvds give El Paso freeways the edge and the spaghetti bowl a more cosmopolitian feel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 PM

5,696 posts, read 13,501,784 times
One thing I like about Texas is the fact that most of our highways, interstates, etc., have gateways (we call them service, or feeder roads here in Houston). Besides that, we also have the U-turns underneath intersections. Some in El Paso/Texas might not know this, but this is not the norm in most parts of the country.

Most people that come to Texas from out of state at first find it odd, but then realize what they are for. They are very convenient. I can't tell you how many times I've had to drive in California's freeways and have to drive miles just to exit and figure out how to turn around and go back.

Another good thing road planners thought of for Texas!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:59 AM

809 posts, read 2,738,706 times
The Big I is where I-40 & I-25 meet, the roads that you are talking about are frontage roads....what you call gateways. The frontage roads connect roads that are too close to the Big I to have their own on or off ramps. The Big I is currently undergoing a 10 million landscaping project which should be complete next year......so cosmopolitan? Yes you can say that!!
Albuquerque also has the Coors I-40 stack that is already landscaped.

NMDOT Photo Gallery: Coors I40 nterchange reconstruction project completed, including pedestrain bridges (http://nmshtd.state.nm.us/photo_galleries/NMGRIP/Coors_complete/index.htm - broken link)

Landscaping Albuquerque's "Big I" - 4/14/2008 - Rocky Mountain Construction (http://www.acppubs.com/article/CA6548410.html - broken link)

Last edited by observe; 05-18-2008 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-18-2008, 12:47 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,633,771 times
Observe that top link is awesome! The last picture is my favorite. The art on the bridge, the mountain in the background, and then the awesome clouds and sky. Thanks for posting those.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:02 PM

13,279 posts, read 18,097,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
I was googling Albuquerques big I out of curosity so I went and took a closer look at it it looks alot bigger than El Paso's spaghetti bowl but I then investigate to see how they made it look bigger, they have several streets below the interchage running into intersections making it look wider and bigger but most of those streets seem uncessary because I followed the over passes and lower streets and they merge right back into their freeways.
In times past, Albuquerque was well known to only build only a few years into the future and having to go back and rebuild shortly thereafter. It probably comes from the fact that just a few years ago Albuquerque had only 50,000 people. However, I think the City has finally realized they are now a large city and are planning more adequately for growth. One can drive in from the east side on any day ofthe week and find themselves behind three or four U-Hauls with strange-looking licenses plates headed for the City.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:06 PM

You know whats funny about Albuquerque.. they have a nice military base there, and no one ever mentions it. El Paso has Fort Bliss and Biggs field and you hardly ever have a conversation about El Paso that one of these is not mentioned in. Maybe Albuquerque is not as linked or defined by its Military Base, as El Paso is by its Military Base.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:47 PM

13,279 posts, read 18,097,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
You know whats funny about Albuquerque.. they have a nice military base there, and no one ever mentions it. El Paso has Fort Bliss and Biggs field and you hardly ever have a conversation about El Paso that one of these is not mentioned in. Maybe Albuquerque is not as linked or defined by its Military Base, as El Paso is by its Military Base.
As a former serviceman in New Mexico MANY years ago, I think that in recent years Albuquerque has not been defined by the goings on around Kirkland AFB. Clovis, New Mexico on the on the other hand continues to be closely linked to Cannon AFB even though that base has been dramatically down-sized. Maybe it's town size? Albuquerque, which is now booming, probably has outgrown much of its economic ties to Kirkland.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,069,730 times
Quote:
That's because if Ft. Bliss ever closed, El Paso would shrivel up and die!

Old 05-18-2008, 03:01 PM

3,198 posts, read 11,785,008 times
Quote:
Yep, because ABQ's economy is doing so well and has become such a popular growth town in the Sun Belt, I think employment-wise, wage wise, Kirkland, while still obviously very important in ABQ, is not the "be all end all" type of deal to ABQ that Fort Bliss is to EP.

I agree fully with those observations.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Well no need to worry.. Fort Bliss wont be closing, only getting larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso