Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieN View Post
Let me ask this question to all of you.

If you had a beautiful 17 year old very blonde daughter who is dating a mexican from Juarez, would you let her go to Juarez with him for Christmas??? My brother and sister in law have lost their minds I think. My husband and I are very afraid for our niece.

We live in Colorado.
Carrie
I wouldn't let a 17 year old daughter travel with a boyfriend to any place.

So my answer is no -- otherwise it would depend on what part of Juarez, what the boy's family is like, if adults would be present at all times.

It's certainly not a place for a naive young girl to be going -- but if she's never alone, never out walking around or driving around alone it's not as bad. I have friends from Juarez that live here and they absolutely do not let their kids go to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
I'm with malamute..

By the way it maybe a crime. She is a minor traversing over state, heck country lines with a male.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,201 times
I completely agree with you. The boy is really a man at 20, however, his mother is supposed to be going with them. I don't think it matters about crossing country lines if she has parental permission.

Thanks for replying
Carrie

Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Well there is a crime right there. 17 year old girl 20 year old man. Allowing a man to date your daughter is a case of neglect in my eyes... and allowing her to go into a 3rd world country where Kidnapping is big business is child endangerment, as far as I see it. With all the fighting and criminal acts and girls being murdered over there.. I fear for the worse for this girl.. but what can anyone do? Just hope for the best.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Well there is a crime right there. 17 year old girl 20 year old man. Allowing a man to date your daughter is a case of neglect in my eyes... and allowing her to go into a 3rd world country where Kidnapping is big business is child endangerment, as far as I see it. With all the fighting and criminal acts and girls being murdered over there.. I fear for the worse for this girl.. but what can anyone do? Just hope for the best.
That's only a 3 year age gap. If it's just dating -- then it wouldn't be a crime.

Depending on how well the mother chaperones -- it could certainly be safer for the girl than a wild spring break vacation in Florida or Padre Island -- another thing I wouldn't let a daughter of mine do -- but some people are pretty liberal about that kind of thing.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 AM

She is a Minor. He is an Adult. Period in the eyes of the Law.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 AM

Even if they're only dating and not where it gets into the statutory rape?

I didn't know that. The more I think about this case the worse an idea it is -- however we don't know all the details. What would be the purpose in such a trip? What kind of mother would want to have the responsibility of traveling with someone else's minor child? You have to wonder about the motives.

And more -- what part of Juarez will they be visiting? A relatively safe area? Anapra?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 8,201 times
Default RE: 17 year old going to Juarez for Christmas

Just wanted to update information.

The 17 year old girl has decided not to go, with some guidance from her 18 year old cousin, my son. Come to find out, she really was afraid to go, but didn't want to tell her parents. This really kind of makes me sick, but at least she made the right decision.
Carrie N

Old 12-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieN View Post
Just wanted to update information.

The 17 year old girl has decided not to go, with some guidance from her 18 year old cousin, my son. Come to find out, she really was afraid to go, but didn't want to tell her parents. This really kind of makes me sick, but at least she made the right decision.
Carrie N

Good -- she should trust her instincts -- sounds like her instincts are sharp.

You have to wonder why they wanted to take her to Juarez -- I wouldn't feel comfortable taking anyone's minor child out of the state much less the country. Even if well-intentioned, it's too much responsibility -- so I would wonder about the boy's parents for that reason.

Certainly not all areas of Juarez are bad but parts of it are very bad.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:26 PM

385 posts, read 1,555,723 times
I don't even think one parent can legally take their child out of the country without the other parent's written permission. My 25 year old friend can really tell some horror stories about Juarez and how quickly one can just get whisked into circumstances they cannot get out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso