Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
I might add that for the most part, the Franklin Mountains are located in the El Paso Independent School District for the exception of Cathedral Hign School which is a private institute was allowed to place their school letter there.
On the mountains western edge the last high school to place their letter there was Burgess High School, it was the giant letter
B with a horse shoe. The Ysleta School District did not participate in the tagging of the mountain while yet Ysleta High School is one of El Paso's oldest institutes
That's probably because all of Ysleta ISD's high schools are too far away from the Franklin Mountains with the exception of Parkland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm adding to this year-old thread because there was a good article in the El Paso Times this weekend about the origins of the letters on the mountains:

How the letters got on the mountains

Adding to the newspaper account from my own recollections:

I was in the 1953 graduating class at EP High in the days when
it was still traditional to maintain the letters on the mountain, which
at that time included the A, B, C, and E for Austin, Bowie,
Cathedral and El Paso high schools, respectively. Plus the
College of Mines letter "M" for "The Miners."

The letters E and A were made visible on the night of the annual
football game between the two schools by outlining them with
burning smudge pots. More than once the "E" was found to be a
white smear after pranksters from Austin rolled the loose rocks
on which it was painted down the mountainside during the night.
The "A" was painted on more solid rock and could not be similarly besmeared.
Retaliation was therefore in the form an "E" burned into the grass
at the center of the field at Austin High School's stadium prior to
the annual game being played there.

Since the practice of adding letters to the mountain was curtailed
as newer high schools were built around the area, only the Irving High School "I"
and the Austin "A" look as if they're still being whitewashed, with well-defined trails
leading up to each letter.

You mean Irvin.

Thanks for posting this. I don't believe Canutillo High ever had themselves a letter on the mountain (or did they?)

Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
You mean Irvin.

Thanks for posting this. I don't believe Canutillo High ever had themselves a letter on the mountain (or did they?)
My daughter's would kill me if they saw I misspelled the name of their school!

The only C was for Cathedral. Coronado and Canutillo would have had letters on the northwest side if the ban hadn't gone into effect.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The only C was for Cathedral. Coronado and Canutillo would have had letters on the northwest side if the ban hadn't gone into effect.
When did that happen? Was it the early Sixties?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 PM

404 posts, read 860,340 times
Quote:
That's probably because all of Ysleta ISD's high schools are too far away from the Franklin Mountains with the exception of Parkland.
Like I said before, the Franklin Mountains are located in the El Paso Independent School District not the Ysleta Independent School District, and so even Parkland High School would not meet the norms.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
When did that happen? Was it the early Sixties?
I'm not sure. Late 60s or early 70s, I think.

As for the EPISD, I don't think that had any bearing on what school put their letters on Mt. Franklin. The "College of Mines" had the first letter, and Cathedral is a Catholic school not part of the EPISD. I'm trying to remember which schools actually fit into the Ysleta district, and think perhaps Eastwood did, if not also Burgess. Many of El Paso High School's students actually lived in the Canutillo district when I was in school. I presume their parents paid an "out of district fee" to send them to EP High.

There was an El Paso Technical High School at one time, now called the Center for Career and Technical Education but they never attempted to put a letter on the mountain either.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Kitty 98 View Post
Like I said before, the Franklin Mountains are located in the El Paso Independent School District not the Ysleta Independent School District, and so even Parkland High School would not meet the norms.

So there was an agreement between El Paso ISD and UTEP, and whoever owned the land the letters were put on?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 AM

404 posts, read 860,340 times
Quote:
So there was an agreement between El Paso ISD and UTEP, and whoever owned the land the letters were put on?
I really wouldn't know the real answer to that; just that UTEP, Cathedral High School and the EPISD border the Franklin Mountains; and the letters were put on the mountain before my arrival on planet earth.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I haven't a clue who approved what way back then. I never knew the land that faces El Paso was privately owned until I read an article in recent years that dealt with the ongoing lighting of the star. If I recall that article correctly, it stated that EP Elect. Co. had long rented the land the star is on from the owner and some agreement was being worked out after the EP CofC took over paying for the maintenance of the star and its nightly year-around illumination.

Last edited by joqua; 11-08-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure. Late 60s or early 70s, I think.

As for the EPISD, I don't think that had any bearing on what school put their letters on Mt. Franklin. The "College of Mines" had the first letter, and Cathedral is a Catholic school not part of the EPISD. I'm trying to remember which schools actually fit into the Ysleta district, and think perhaps Eastwood did, if not also Burgess. Many of El Paso High School's students actually lived in the Canutillo district when I was in school. I presume their parents paid an "out of district fee" to send them to EP High.

There was an El Paso Technical High School at one time, now called the Center for Career and Technical Education but they never attempted to put a letter on the mountain either.

(nods) El Paso ISD's Career and Technical Education Center shares the lot on Arizona at North Walnut where Technical High School used to be with the School-Age Parenting Center and Armendariz Middle School. I used to go to B-team football games there on Saturdays when I was little.

Eastwood is Ysleta ISD; Burges is El Paso ISD. The boundary between their attendance zones/the school districts that run them (I think) runs down a utility easement south from Montana between the east side of Longhorn Golf Course and Aberdeen Street and then between Backus Street and Catnip Street.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you have to pay an out-of-district fee to go to high school if the school district where you live doesn't operate a high school, if you're going to the designated high school for your district. Like San Vicente ISD in Brewster County only has an elementary school, which graduates its students into Marathon ISD's Marathon High. That setup would be similar to the separate primary-school and high-school districts some places in Arizona and California have. I seem to remember Canutillo ISD wasn't organized until the late 1950s and before that public education in what is now Canutillo ISD was the old El Paso County School District's responsibility. They did send high-school kids from that area to El Paso High, though.

Anyway, Eastwood never put a letter on the mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso