Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 05:16 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times

Advertisements

For years now, the back yard at my grandmothers house has been a dirt pit.. it used to be full of grass, and fruit trees and flowers and all sorts of pretty things. Well after she died she left the house to me.. I was never planning on staying long enough to care to fix it up.. but since I seem to be stuck here for a few years, I thought I better get crack'en and bring this yard back to life.

I tore down the old dog run that ran the length of the back edge of the yard, as well as an old shed. I put in an arbor and planted the grapes my wife has been wanting to have since we left the ones we had in Boise many years ago. We also planted Strawberries, and a blue berry bush. We have also put up new Lattice on the porch and reattached the star jasmine to it. and were starting to see the grass come back after reseeding it.

I am building a place to hold my grill, and adding a new stone path to the arbor, I also plan to place bricks under the arbor as well, and expand it later this summer.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far... this is still a work in progress so don't judge it too badly.

Shared with Flock - The Social Web Browser
Flock Browser - The Social Web Browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Looks good!

One of the best things about El Paso is how outdoors space can merge with indoors space. One thing kind of interesting about EL Paso is often the front yard is plain and simple, xeriscape or stones, and the backyard is a lush green garden area.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
For years now, the back yard at my grandmothers house has been a dirt pit.. it used to be full of grass, and fruit trees and flowers and all sorts of pretty things. Well after she died she left the house to me.. I was never planning on staying long enough to care to fix it up.. but since I seem to be stuck here for a few years, I thought I better get crack'en and bring this yard back to life.

I tore down the old dog run that ran the length of the back edge of the yard, as well as an old shed. I put in an arbor and planted the grapes my wife has been wanting to have since we left the ones we had in Boise many years ago. We also planted Strawberries, and a blue berry bush. We have also put up new Lattice on the porch and reattached the star jasmine to it. and were starting to see the grass come back after reseeding it.

I am building a place to hold my grill, and adding a new stone path to the arbor, I also plan to place bricks under the arbor as well, and expand it later this summer.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far... this is still a work in progress so don't judge it too badly.
Good for you! I've been researching blueberries, as I had thought about putting in a couple of bushes, as well as an apricot tree.

You'll most likely need to acidify the soil......blueberries don't seem to like our highly alkaline soils out here at all...and a little peat moss might help, too... Midland has highly alkaline soils, as does Alamogordo, so I suspect that EP probably does also!

http://www.gardenersnet.com/fruit/blueberry.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: