Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:13 AM

1 posts, read 12,694 times

Advertisements

we are possibly relocating to El Paso, and I just wanted to know if anybody knows if there are any India groups or people in the city. Since I am from India, I found it to be the easiest way to adjust in a new city is when I find a group like that. It always proves to be a wealth of information, as well as immediate connections. Especially because of my spouse and kids.
Also, I have read in other forums that the schools in El Paso are not supposed to be the most prestine in the Nation. Is that a generalization or truth? Are there any good schools in El Paso, including private ones? Keeping Elimentary schooling , safety and India people as a consideration which place in El Paso is suitable for Living. How is the Income tax and apartment rent in El Paso.I am very appreciative of any information regarding my questions.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 05:34 AM

28 posts, read 92,895 times
Not sure about an Indian Organization, but I know that there is an Indian restaurant and two Indian grocery stores on North Mesa, very close to each other.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
I am sure there is.. anyone with UTEP here? I know there are many India nationals on campus.. and living around the campus. They must have some sorta support group. I'll ask a Professor friend of mine and see what he has to say.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,064 times
I'm not aware of any civic groups catering to the indian community, although the university does indeed have an Indian students association. Typically you will see more diversity on the westside and around the university. A friend of mine who works in the healthcare industry always comments about the amount of diversity in the hospital & medical school setting. More often than not, the westside of town is preferred. As a previous poster has stated, this includes a small community of indians. I'm sure if you were to contact the organization below they would help you to make a better assessment about the community here. Hope it helps..

Indian Students Association - University of Texas at El Paso

Old 03-08-2008, 07:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev View Post
we are possibly relocating to El Paso, and I just wanted to know if anybody knows if there are any India groups or people in the city. Since I am from India, I found it to be the easiest way to adjust in a new city is when I find a group like that. It always proves to be a wealth of information, as well as immediate connections. Especially because of my spouse and kids.
Also, I have read in other forums that the schools in El Paso are not supposed to be the most prestine in the Nation. Is that a generalization or truth? Are there any good schools in El Paso, including private ones? Keeping Elimentary schooling , safety and India people as a consideration which place in El Paso is suitable for Living. How is the Income tax and apartment rent in El Paso.I am very appreciative of any information regarding my questions.
Thanks,
I would suspect there are -- but the Indians here don't broadcast it -- there are many Indian professionals here -- doctors, all kinds of health care workers. I don't think the India immigrants here are all that "tight" with each other --- they seem to be aware of each other. I only realized that when talking to an Indian guy and he was pointing out all the people from India -- asking me if I knew them, but they weren't all friends.

There is some kind of Hindu church in the Upper Valley -- but a lot of the people from India here are Christians.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
My guess is most people from India here live on the West side, from UTEP all the way into the Upper Valley.

Schools here aren't great -- but like anywhere, some kids do pretty well. It's misleading because even if many of the students can't pass TAKS which is a measure of minimal skills, there are plenty of kids who go away to college and have no problem.

I think parents probably need to be more forceful -- when their child has a teacher that isn't good, make sure the child is changed to another. Some teachers here are fine and can motivate their students. Some teachers are not qualified.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,400 times
I know a few Indian couples at church. Real nice people.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 12,602 times
Hi Rajeev, I have relocated to El Paso, TX today. I am also trying to find Indian contacts here. Please email me at [EMAIL="sgudladona@gmail.com"]sgudladona@gmail.com[/EMAIL]
We can rent apartment in same apartment complex.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 PM

730 posts, read 1,894,896 times
I am familiar with UTEP...and yes, the Indian student group is very active. I believe one of the offshoots is the Cricket Club. In recent years this group has always been the top student club at the International Food Fair....really good Tandoori Chicken, etc. I think they are mainly graduate and doctoral students. Contact the Office of International Programs and they may be able to connect you with this group.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,145 times
hi

there is an unversity cricket club for recreation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: