U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,193 times

Advertisements

I was listening to the radio today and they said that HEB is conducting a feasibility study in El Paso... Does anyone know more information? HEB is a grocery chain based out of SA I think... It would be nice if we can get something other than Wal-Mart here lol...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,654,648 times
I hope it goes well, because Super HEB's make Wal*Mart look like second hand stores. I like HEB.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,808,272 times
Y'all don't have United Supermarkets in El Paso? I thought United was a West Texas staple! United includes stores called United (duh, LOL), Market Street, and Amigos. Market Street is the upscale regular United and it's an incredible store! I've been to the one in Lubbock; wish they'd build one in Abilene!

I like United better than HEB -- we have both here in Abilene. HEB seems geared toward Hispanic customers -- they don't carry a good selection of the types of meat and things I like.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 AM

5,752 posts, read 13,544,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Y'all don't have United Supermarkets in El Paso? I thought United was a West Texas staple! United includes stores called United (duh, LOL), Market Street, and Amigos. Market Street is the upscale regular United and it's an incredible store! I've been to the one in Lubbock; wish they'd build one in Abilene!

I like United better than HEB -- we have both here in Abilene. HEB seems geared toward Hispanic customers -- they don't carry a good selection of the types of meat and things I like.
'Sounds like HEB is targeting Hispanics if that is what the HEB looks like to you. Here in Houston where we have dozens of them, they are very nice stores, and they vary in their styles. I've never seen one to target any ethnic group. We have grocery stores called Fiesta that do target Asian, Middle Eastern and Hispanics.

We have the HEB Central Market, very upscale, urban, very nice. Then we have HEB Plus, again, very nice, upscale, but suburban feel, but still very nice, and bigger than Market. Then we have the regular HEBs, not so nice, then the bottom of the line HEB Pantry, warehouse looking. In fact, I think Houston does not have anymore Pantrys.

Just ask anyone in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Dallas, they are great stores. We still go to Walmart for staples like milk where our kids go through a gallon a day, diapers, juices, etc., but for other groceries, good beer and wine selections, HEB is great.

I hope El Paso gets a couple. 'Not too sure a Central Market would do well in El Paso, but the Plus for sure. Keep us informed.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:32 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,654,648 times
Fiesta Mart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first time I drove though Houston and saw these all lit up and sparkly off the freeway, I did not know they were a food chain. I figures they were geared toward the Hispanic population when I checked one out while in Galveston.. and we drove into Houston.

Nope no United Stores here at all.. I sure do hope we get a few HEB's they can place on here on Fairbanks, right up the street from me.. I will shop there for sure.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:44 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,808,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
'Sounds like HEB is targeting Hispanics if that is what the HEB looks like to you. Here in Houston where we have dozens of them, they are very nice stores, and they vary in their styles. I've never seen one to target any ethnic group. We have grocery stores called Fiesta that do target Asian, Middle Eastern and Hispanics.

We have the HEB Central Market, very upscale, urban, very nice. Then we have HEB Plus, again, very nice, upscale, but suburban feel, but still very nice, and bigger than Market. Then we have the regular HEBs, not so nice, then the bottom of the line HEB Pantry, warehouse looking. In fact, I think Houston does not have anymore Pantrys.

Just ask anyone in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Dallas, they are great stores. We still go to Walmart for staples like milk where our kids go through a gallon a day, diapers, juices, etc., but for other groceries, good beer and wine selections, HEB is great.

I hope El Paso gets a couple. 'Not too sure a Central Market would do well in El Paso, but the Plus for sure. Keep us informed.
Dang, I never knew there were so many kinds of HEBs! I've never seen anything but a regular HEB, even when I used to live in Brownsville. There were 6 or 7 of them -- and nothing else except Walmart Supercenter. Weird.

Abilene's smaller than Brownsville by about 50,000 people but we have a couple of Uniteds, one regular HEB, Albertson's, Save-a-Lot, a local store called Lawrence Bros., and two Walmart Supercenters. (Oh, and both cities have Sam's Club.) I like having a choice and some variety!

United way outdoes a regular HEB in the selection of all sorts of organics and gluten-free foods, specialty foods, and meats.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 AM

195 posts, read 606,566 times
I remember going to Krogers and Fiesta Mart when i lived in H-town. But an HEB or a United would be pretty cool!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:05 AM

729 posts, read 1,893,577 times
HEB rocks. Maybe all the mexican "visitors" will stay at Wallymart and everybody else will shop at HEB. Good prices good deals. Have you heard the phrase..."Come home a hero"?? That is one of their catch phrases.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 38,004,547 times
Please come to Alamogordo as we need more than one grocery store. Had 4 in the 1980's so maybe i'll E-mail them to think about us in Alamo.....

Old 07-04-2008, 11:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,080,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19911004 View Post
I was listening to the radio today and they said that HEB is conducting a feasibility study in El Paso... Does anyone know more information? HEB is a grocery chain based out of SA I think... It would be nice if we can get something other than Wal-Mart here lol...
OMG!!!!! What fantastic news!!! I LOVE HEB, and it would be worth driving 80 miles to shop there. I wrote them an email last year (along with some others), asking if they would consider an EP location.

It's one of the things I really miss about WT and Texas in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso