Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
The Bennigan's restaurant in El Paso and one in Las Cruces and the Steak & Ale restaurant in El Paso closed Tuesday after the restaurant chain's owner filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation.

Say bye bye too two more bar Restaurants in El Paso.
Bennigan's closed here in Mpls./St. Paul too. A friend of my brother worked at one of them and he said corporate called them at midnight and told them to close up and that they no longer had jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,425 times
Yup, almost all of the Bennigans and Steak and Ales restaurants around the country have closed down.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
More trivia

Did you know that El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:40 PM

200 posts, read 610,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
More trivia

Did you know that El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston?
Yes, could make it there in 6 hrs, if I didn't stop.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Bennigan's closed here in Mpls./St. Paul too. A friend of my brother worked at one of them and he said corporate called them at midnight and told them to close up and that they no longer had jobs.
Say it isn't so...Steak & Ale was always this trusty mainstay (& nostalgic) w/it's retro 70's/80's decor. I guess that place had seen better days & died a long overdue slow death...but I will miss seeing it while driving on I-10 in one of my most favorite areas of town.

Last edited by anelizk; 08-07-2008 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 PM

195 posts, read 657,960 times
Did you guys know that Biggs Army Air Field was an Air Force Base(Biggs Air Force Base) from 1948 to 1966?

Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM

415 posts, read 2,334,295 times
Default I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
do any of you remember the great gatsby or the caravan east ,the ratskeller I have very faint memories of them and where they were

I remember Caravan East, my mother taught dance lessons there back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Growing up I used to frequent a shopping center on Rushing called I think Rushfair.

Now I live in Columbia SC and love to come to the forum adn read about El Paso, Maybe Some day I can come home

Old 08-08-2008, 10:12 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default V2 rockets landed in Juarez and El Paso...

This may be common knowledge, I'm not sure, but for those who don't know... V2 rockets landed in El Paso!

My father worked at White Sands, and McGregor Range most of his career, and when I was a teenager, he told me about some rockets that went off course and landed in El Paso, and Juarez. One landed in that cemetary off I-10 and the Patriot Freeway? The spagetti bowl. He said others landed in Juarez as well, and caused damage to homes, and I think one death.

I knew I read about it several years ago, but I could not find the articles I read, but did come across anoter site that is abut UFO's, but mentions some of the stray rockets landing in Fabens.

These were the rockets designed by the engineer who designed rockets for Hitler before coming to White Sands, Dr Werner Von Braun!

http://www.project1947.com/gr/oct47mystcrash.htm

My father also used to give me and my bothers these very cool looking rocket models. Even as a kid I knew these were not ordinary models, they were large, heavy, made of metal, not plastic, and detailed, and came apart! I wonder how much those would be worth today. It was not until I was an adult, after college when I realized what we had were models of ballistic missles, and/or the Saturn rockets which sent the first men to the moon. If I'm not mistaken, the Saturn rockets were based upon defensive intercontinental ballistic missles. In the early 70s, I also remember him bringing home a cool gadget that allowed one to see things at night! Little did I know as a kid that my father did some cool work!

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 08-08-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
do any of you remember the great gatsby or the caravan east ,the ratskeller I have very faint memories of them and where they were

I remember both places, never went, but remember the advertisements for them both. Hey, does anyone remember what the name of the restaurant that is now Prince Machiavelli's? Remember this restaurant called Applegate's Landing?

Last edited by anelizk; 08-08-2008 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Fragmented paragraph.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:25 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times
prince machiavelli's used to be the iron tender some of my friends worked there now I'm craving steak soup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso