Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:24 AM

340 posts, read 605,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
If you live in a city where there is a good sized number of people that are transplants from elsewhere, your "opinions" (veiled or open criticisms?) will be well received. Everyone has something to point out here that is different from where they came from. If there are enough similar ears and mouths, these kinds of conversations will flow and you will describe the place as "open minded". Places like Austin, TX or Portland, OR or Boise, ID or Asheville, NC come to mind.

If, however, you come from elsewhere and you are in the minority an you open your mouth full of "this is how we do it back where I am from" and someone puts you back in your place - well, the city must be full of closed minded minions, no?
Oh, give me a freakin' break! You haven't even moved to this city yet, and you do NOT know me. Talk about making assumptions! Hate to break it to you, but this place ain't perfect - and my critism was a perfectly valid one. And I NEVER go around with some holier-than-thou, "well, this is how WE do it" attitude. I am actually a respectful person who (unlike you, evidently) tries to see things from other people's perspectives, so I have never needed to be "put in my place". I am just tired of living somewhere that is so narrow minded. Sorry that is so difficult for you to comprehend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 12:31 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,609,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Oh, give me a freakin' break! You haven't even moved to this city yet, and you do NOT know me. Talk about making assumptions! Hate to break it to you, but this place ain't perfect - and my critism was a perfectly valid one. And I NEVER go around with some holier-than-thou, "well, this is how WE do it" attitude. I am actually a respectful person who (unlike you, evidently) tries to see things from other people's perspectives, so I have never needed to be "put in my place". I am just tired of living somewhere that is so narrow minded. Sorry that is so difficult for you to comprehend.
I think this post kind of goes against everything you think you are (I mean, what you wrote about yourself). I wasn't making assumptions about you per se, I was writing from my own personal experience. Usually cities that have large populations of transplants (esp. well to do ones) make it much easier for the said transplants to communicate, criticize (pardon, offer opinions and experiences about) the place etc. If you come into a place that is pretty cohesive, your criticisms (pardon, your worldly opinions and experiences) may not be so well received and you may (or may not) experience being put in your place (depends on who you are talking to and their level). That is all I meant. I have lived in several different countries (Europe and North America) and in various states in USA (including a place as small as 3,000 people south of Austin as well as a city such as New York city). And no, I am not low level military who was stationed in Germany, I am a professional and my wife is a professional. Both our parents were professionals too (doctors, engineers, lawyers etc.). I understand when people complain about dirty streets or neighbors whose dogs run around the neighborhood un-neutered/un-spayed etc. etc. I also understand that some criticisms are well places while others come from holier-than-thou pompous folks and are/or are received as such (I am not saying you are of the latter kind, I don't know you).

Old 03-19-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I think this post kind of goes against everything you think you are (I mean, what you wrote about yourself).
It really doesn't though, as your post was completely rude and presumptuous, nevermind the fact that you couldn't possibly know what you are talking about since YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE!!
Quote:
I wasn't making assumptions about you per se, I was writing from my own personal experience. Usually cities that have large populations of transplants (esp. well to do ones) make it much easier for the said transplants to communicate, criticize (pardon, offer opinions and experiences about) the place etc. If you come into a place that is pretty cohesive, your criticisms (pardon, your worldly opinions and experiences) may not be so well received and you may (or may not) experience being put in your place (depends on who you are talking to and their level). That is all I meant. I have lived in several different countries (Europe and North America) and in various states in USA (including a place as small as 3,000 people south of Austin as well as a city such as New York city). And no, I am not low level military who was stationed in Germany, I am a professional and my wife is a professional. Both our parents were professionals too (doctors, engineers, lawyers etc.). I understand when people complain about dirty streets or neighbors whose dogs run around the neighborhood un-neutered/un-spayed etc. etc. I also understand that some criticisms are well places while others come from holier-than-thou pompous folks and are/or are received as such (I am not saying you are of the latter kind, I don't know you).
Oh, okay, I see, you were just stereotyping someone you've never met based on your experiences in other places. Well, that is so much different isn't it? And you just continue on insinuating that I must just be an arrogant person who acts like I am so much better than people here... Obviously that is the only interpretation of my posts that you are open to, so I am not going to bother arguing with you. I will just say that your experience in other places is irrelevant, as we are not talking about any of those places...

Last edited by unnativeelpasoan; 03-19-2016 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
It really doesn't though, as your post was completely rude and presumptuous, nevermind the fact that you couldn't possibly know what you are talking about since YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE!!

Oh, okay, I see, you were just stereotyping someone you've never met based on your experiences in other places. Well, that is so much different isn't it? And you just continue on insinuating that I must just be an arrogant person who acts like I am so much better than people here... Obviously that is the only interpretation of my posts that you are open to, so I am not going to bother arguing with you. I will just say that your experience in other places is irrelevant, as we are not talking about any of those places...
But you are - you are comparing your life's experiences elsewhere to what you are experiencing in El Paso. I don't live here but I have been here for weeks now and I will be happy to relocate since I really love it. Are there things that are annoying? Sure. Are there things that are annoying in Austin? Sure too. You are the sum of your life's experiences is all - mine are different than yours. It is also what you are looking for - I want to be in a place where I can be on top of a mountain in 15 minutes. Check. Can be in a national forest within 2 hours. Check. Can be in a national park within 2 hours. Check. Can go out to a good restaurant and be surrounded by people. Check. Can go out and see nobody within a hour's drive. Check. Can do all the shopping a big city offers. Check. Can go to a foreign country within 15 minutes. Check. Can have sunshine year round. Check.

I have lived in South Florida, for example - it is completely ruined by rich New Yorkers - everything is paved over, densely populated, expensive, no nature left. I have lived in places overrun by people from California too and all their money and "let's change this, let's pave that, let's get a Starbucks here, let's raise taxes there to provide services" kind of attitude. I hated both. It is refreshing to come to a place that is not run by either of the groups, to be honest.

I don't live here yet but I have been keeping an eye on things for a long time and I think I found my final place. All the places I lived before, I will still not complain about them. They were just not my cup of tea but I will not trash them and generalize about them. It is me who could not make it there and who was not happy there, someone else might be (and is) happy in those places just as they are. I could go and talk to a buddy of mine from Palm Beach, Florida and start telling him about all the things I think are wrong with the county. However, he was born there, is on the beach almost daily, has a boat he takes out to the ocean weekly. He would think I am nuts to criticize his home town...

Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
But you are - you are comparing your life's experiences elsewhere to what you are experiencing in El Paso. I don't live here but I have been here for weeks now and I will be happy to relocate since I really love it. Are there things that are annoying? Sure. Are there things that are annoying in Austin? Sure too. You are the sum of your life's experiences is all - mine are different than yours. It is also what you are looking for - I want to be in a place where I can be on top of a mountain in 15 minutes. Check. Can be in a national forest within 2 hours. Check. Can be in a national park within 2 hours. Check. Can go out to a good restaurant and be surrounded by people. Check. Can go out and see nobody within a hour's drive. Check. Can do all the shopping a big city offers. Check. Can go to a foreign country within 15 minutes. Check. Can have sunshine year round. Check.

I have lived in South Florida, for example - it is completely ruined by rich New Yorkers - everything is paved over, densely populated, expensive, no nature left. I have lived in places overrun by people from California too and all their money and "let's change this, let's pave that, let's get a Starbucks here, let's raise taxes there to provide services" kind of attitude. I hated both. It is refreshing to come to a place that is not run by either of the groups, to be honest.

I don't live here yet but I have been keeping an eye on things for a long time and I think I found my final place. All the places I lived before, I will still not complain about them. They were just not my cup of tea but I will not trash them and generalize about them. It is me who could not make it there and who was not happy there, someone else might be (and is) happy in those places just as they are. I could go and talk to a buddy of mine from Palm Beach, Florida and start telling him about all the things I think are wrong with the county. However, he was born there, is on the beach almost daily, has a boat he takes out to the ocean weekly. He would think I am nuts to criticize his home town...
Wow, you just wrote three paragraphs that have NOTHING to do with my post. I made some fair critisms of things that can really be an issue for some in this city. I did not "trash" El Paso. Sorry, NOT sorry that you can't deal with any critism of a place where you don't even live yet.

Have a nice day.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Wow, you just wrote three paragraphs that have NOTHING to do with my post. I made some fair critisms of things that can really be an issue for some in this city. I did not "trash" El Paso. Sorry, NOT sorry that you can't deal with any critism of a place where you don't even live yet.

Have a nice day.
Sure.

Here is a post from you in this thread. I think it sounds pretty pompous and holier than thou. In it basically you say what I said you have run into - that if you are from somewhere else of have traveled locals will not be interested in your experiences. Then you go further and call that a "narrow minded mentality" and "small town attitude". I noticed that pompousness and I am not even local....

You keep complaining about the place all the time. Every time I come to the forum it is more of the same. I listed a bunch of things that I found attractive about the place and I acknowledge that there are problems that even I noticed being here for a few weeks.

Quote:
This is a really good post! Complacent is actually a great word to describe the El Paso mentality, couldn't have said it better myself. I have also found it to be very true that if you aren't the right type of person, you just will NOT fit in here, period! And people will treat you like you don't fit too. And, heaven forbid that, because you've lived elsewhere or traveled a bit, you have an even slightly different perspective. Most people here are really NOT interested in any other perspectives than the one they've known their whole lives. For the most part, it is a very narrow minded mentality in this city, akin to a very small, isolated town. It's really frustrating. And it's also true about people with power abusing the system, a lot of corruption. Sure, to some degree that is true everywhere, it just seems more evident and widespread here. What is strange to me is that many El Pasoans reaction to that sort of thing tends to be just to shrug one's shoulders and say, "Oh, well, that's just the way it goes". Again, complacency. It's hard for me to understand...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you find happiness and fulfillment wherever you are headed.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Sure.
Here is a post from you in this thread. I think it sounds pretty pompous and holier than thou. In it basically you say what I said you have run into - that if you are from somewhere else of have traveled locals will not be interested in your experiences. Then you go further and call that a "narrow minded mentality" and "small town attitude". I noticed that pompousness and I am not even local....
You've actually already made it perfectly clear that you believe me to be arrogant, pompous, etc. No need to be redundant.

Quote:
You keep complaining about the place all the time. Every time I come to the forum it is more of the same. I listed a bunch of things that I found attractive about the place and I acknowledge that there are problems that even I noticed being here for a few weeks.
Well, you have an, um, interesting definition of "all the time", but perhaps if you dislike my posts so much you should just ignore them and stop reading them.

Anyway, have a great day.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You've actually already made it perfectly clear that you believe me to be arrogant, pompous, etc. No need to be redundant.
Well, you are the one who said: "Most people here are really NOT interested in any other perspectives than the one they've known their whole lives. For the most part, it is a very narrow minded mentality in this city, akin to a very small, isolated town. It's really frustrating"

Some folks would find that generalization offensive and the person making it, well....you tell me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso