Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:36 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think I'll abstain from commenting for now because I just got back from some where else that wasn't third world at all, no graffitti, people all speaking English, not mobs of people shoving carts at everyone at the Walmart, store announcements in English, clean well maintained spacious green yards around neat tidy paint-not-peeling off homes. I'm having that typical cultural shock at the news of gang deaths, kids killing each with rocks and the sight of iron bars everywhere and graffitti and trash everywhere.

I haven't seen most of the places listed as choices so I wouldn't know if they look more third world than here or not.
Make this fun, malamute, give us hints and we'll try to guess where you were at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 12:52 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think I'll abstain from commenting for now because I just got back from some where else that wasn't third world at all, no graffitti, people all speaking English, not mobs of people shoving carts at everyone at the Walmart, store announcements in English, clean well maintained spacious green yards around neat tidy paint-not-peeling off homes. I'm having that typical cultural shock at the news of gang deaths, kids killing each with rocks and the sight of iron bars everywhere and graffitti and trash everywhere.

I haven't seen most of the places listed as choices so I wouldn't know if they look more third world than here or not.
MAL stop making stuff up, there is no place like that in the USA anymore.. right? Send me a DM where you were, so we don't alert everyone else to move there.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Sorry that your city is being bashed. I've never been there so I can't comment at all.

UMMMM, if you can stand our winters, you can join me up here. We don't have iron bars or junky yards or graffitti on our buildings, and everything is in English. I just dare you to survive our winters though.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:44 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Sorry that your city is being bashed. I've never been there so I can't comment at all.

UMMMM, if you can stand our winters, you can join me up here. We don't have iron bars or junky yards or graffitti on our buildings, and everything is in English. I just dare you to survive our winters though.
I know this is not the Soth Dakota forums but everything i hear about it are great except the winter weather up there Jammie. Always rated with North Dakota, Vermont, New Hampshire ....Lowest top 5 in crime and poverty. Top 5in raising a kid and longevity.

Just those winters.....

Old 07-20-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I know this is not the Soth Dakota forums but everything i hear about it are great except the winter weather up there Jammie. Always rated with North Dakota, Vermont, New Hampshire ....Lowest top 5 in crime and poverty. Top 5in raising a kid and longevity.

Just those winters.....
Do you have a beach any where? If So, I may brave the winters to enjoy the summers. =)

Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 PM

Oh, that's ok. We can wander a bit off topic until you get your permanent mod. As long as we treat each other respectfully and don't advertise, we can be relaxed in El Paso. Oh yea, and we also have to be sure that new people get their questions answered.

You're right~low crime, a very low unemployment rate, reasonable cost of housing, etc. MOST of the people here are pretty honest and helpful. There are still many that have a good work ethic and just good ethics in general. Over 80% of the population in my town claim an affiliation with Christianity, but very few Bible thumpers here.

We started locking our doors about 10 years ago, but we probably are just being overly cautious. Fifteen years ago, I started taking the keys out of the ignition of my car because people who were passing by on the interstate were starting to steal vehicles. There is a bit of crime, but since I don't frequent the hangouts late at night, I feel totally safe. We have a few young people who are "wannabe gang members" so they do a bit of vandalizing now and then. The most recent crime is someone vandalizing and tipping over the flower pots on Main Street. Just crime that make you disappointed in people is mostly what we have here. We also have a few people who are drug users/pushers, but it's not a good state to be in if you're caught having drugs.

Seeing shows on tv where people have bars across their windows is just scary and foreign to us.

But I've gotta tell you~winter can be very rough and very long.

We have several beaches up here. There's one over in the Chamberlain/Oacoma area, one by Yankton, etc. Several towns have their own lake with a beach to swim in. The town I lived in has one and so does my present town. (They're a whole 12 miles apart.) I don't especially like our Lake, but we have a very nice new aquatic center and spray park. The only problem is we can only swim about four months a year and that's sometimes pushing it. Our town lake isn't the cleanest. Our lakes and rivers up here are generally very clean and clear because they haven't had a chance to be polluted YET.

The Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore are a half day drive for me. It's like a totally different world over there~the mountains are beautiful~waterfalls, clear mountain streams, etc.

But anyway, thanks for asking and if anyone is interested, we have a "Pic thread" that's a sticky on the So. Dak. forum. Come on over and browse through it. OH yea, I kinda got off topic~back to El Paso.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks for that report Jammie and i'll check out the photo's .

Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh, that's ok. We can wander a bit off topic until you get your permanent mod. As long as we treat each other respectfully and don't advertise, we can be relaxed in El Paso. Oh yea, and we also have to be sure that new people get their questions answered. OH yea, I kinda got off topic~back to El Paso.
I like that attitude.. I would want to have the El Paso Forums stay like that.. kinda loose as long as the people are helpful and answer questions. Being a military town, we have people from all over, and they like to compare where they came from to where they are at.. and by having the attitude you do.. it lets people be more relaxed and share info on a more relaxed and friendly nature. I hope I get the MOD job.. I have met many of you in recent times that impress me with your style and friendliness.

I will have to go check the photos as well. Thanks for the info and attitude... its a nice change.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Hmmm, I think I like it here in El Paso. You seem to be a nice bunch of people.

OK, now I'm wondering if I was just really not observant before or what happened. I now see that there is a sticky with pics and a chat thread in El Paso. Oh my!! I need more rest.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:01 AM

I just read a post from the poster ''bradly'' from albuquerque who comes on here and pretends to be cool with us and yet put down el paso in that same thread of third worlld cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: