Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john gunn View Post
Are the illegitimacy and teen pregnancy rates really that high? I don't want to generalize but I thought those of Mexican/Hispanic origins were more family orientated.

BTW: Is there any cultural resistance against interracial (esp White-Latina) dating in El Paso? I'm British but I'm open to dating (and I have dated) to women of all ethnic origins.
Illegitimacy and teen pregnancy rates are very high here, but one thing that happens is that many of the more studious, motivated youth feels it has to move away from El Paso. It's not that El Paso doesn't produce ambitious types because it does but they leave town. Many go away to college or for better paying jobs and never return or they return after they've married.

It's not impossible -- but the chances of finding a professional woman and one without kids are not the highest here.

It's weird because I know of a number of couples who are married to fellow El Pasoans, but ones they met while living away from El Paso. Some come back, some stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
And to your other question, not really. There are some, mostly those from Juarez who don't date too readily outside their group. Otherwise, there isn't too much resistance to interracial/interethnicity dating and marriage. You'll see all kinds of mixed marriages, I think the influence of the military.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Three sightseeing places:

Scenic drive on the mountain. It is good to go at day and night time to see the city and Cd. Juarez. Great for picture taking.

The Tramway: You can see some beautiful sunset and see so far in a clear day. It is a beautiful site. Also great for picture taking.

Along the Rim Road where Brown Steet reaches the top, there is a small park with a rock obelisk. In it there is a marker that indicates that is the end of the Rockies. It is a great place to take pictures with downtown El Paso in the background.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM

11 posts, read 34,630 times
I feel that most newcomers on this forum have an idea or at least 'a clue " of El Paso; we are only asking questions or advice that locals would know more about, not available on wikepedia for example. I do understand it can feel repetitive to answer the same type of questions in the long run... thanks for all the good information

Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 AM

133 posts, read 308,416 times
El paso tx 101

Great post!

I love El Paso!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I'm surprised you didn't mention the crime rate, which is exceptionally low.

Interesting article here: Wall Street Journal - Notable & Quotable - WSJ.com

Quote:
"If the immigrant community represents a large proportion of the population, you're likely in one of the country's safer cities. San Diego, Laredo, El Paso -- these cities are teeming with immigrants, and they're some of the safest places in the country."
Unites States Cities Crime Rates

//www.city-data.com/forum/el-pa...nd-safest.html

Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Is anyone going to go back to ELP for Labor Day..I am..sorry..I could not find the correct thread to post this information on

Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Illegitimacy and teen pregnancy rates are very high here, but one thing that happens is that many of the more studious, motivated youth feels it has to move away from El Paso. It's not that El Paso doesn't produce ambitious types because it does but they leave town. Many go away to college or for better paying jobs and never return or they return after they've married.

It's not impossible -- but the chances of finding a professional woman and one without kids are not the highest here.

It's weird because I know of a number of couples who are married to fellow El Pasoans, but ones they met while living away from El Paso. Some come back, some stay away.

Well this is not entirely true. A kid that comes from a well-heeled family in El Paso may go study at a university out of town and maybe even out of state (NMSU doesn't count) but will come back to manage his/her parents business, take over the estate, etc.

However, your statement's probably true of kids that go to public school. If they're smart and ambitious and come from a modest-income family, their only choice is to leave. Sucks for them, their families AND El Paso.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 12,886 times
Default Used without attribution

FYI, almost the entirety of the original post was from the following site, used without attribution:

El Paso Information and Links

Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Well this is not entirely true. A kid that comes from a well-heeled family in El Paso may go study at a university out of town and maybe even out of state (NMSU doesn't count) but will come back to manage his/her parents business, take over the estate, etc.

However, your statement's probably true of kids that go to public school. If they're smart and ambitious and come from a modest-income family, their only choice is to leave. Sucks for them, their families AND El Paso.

They're likely to leave anyway, being young and restless; I know a guy who graduated Americas High several years ago who went to the other side of the state to go to college. He could have just as easily have gone to UTEP.

But, if you want to go to a local university, you can either go to UTEP or burn up a lot of expensive gas and pay out-of-state tuition going to NMSU (if you don't want to move to Las Cruces or brave the violence in Juarez).

El Paso doesn't have a law school; the medical school's just getting started(does it include a school of dentistry or pharmacy? I don't think it includes a school of veterinary medicine). There's not much of a tech industry. Et cetera. Quite a bit of incentive to leave town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso