Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Cold & dreary!!! Well the sun shines almost everyday, sure we've had an interesting winter to say the least. I still think Albuquerque's weather is not bad, as a matter of fact i'll go on to say the summers here are better than El Paso's meaning not as hot! The one thing about Albuquerque is the weather can change at the drop of a dime which is crazy. Hopefully the hit in the pocket book won't hurt that much as the average wages in El Paso are significantly lower than Albuquerque.
Good luck Harry o!
The average wages in El Paso are not that much lower than ABQ's, especially not if you are a skilled worker. If he has experience with skills and credentials, then he can make as much as he does in ABQ. The average lower wages here are due to the many unskilled jobs that are located here. But if you have the degrees or certificates for the job that you want then you can get a job that pays similar or more than a job that is located in ABQ.
Plus the much lower cost of living here makes up a lot for the wage deficit.

The sun shines 305 days per year on average in the Sun City. (ABQ is not far behind I believe)
And as for the hot summers, believe me since I have a pool in the backyard, they are fine by me. I'd take a hot summer over a blistering cold winter easily.

The average temperature for El Paso in:
June - 81
July - 83
The average high for El Paso in:
June - 96
July - 95

The average temperature for ABQ in:
June - 75
July - 79
The average high for ABQ in:
June - 90
July - 92

Those temperatures seem pretty close to me, plus ABQ also gets into the 100's, maybe not as much as El Paso, but it gets there every year also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Just today its in the 20's and the wind is blowing as i'm working outside my fingers are numb and burning and my face is numb can barely talk. Maybe its the high altitude at 5,000 ft (fla is sea level) so thats just me as i hate the cold and love the heat but i understand those that have been exposed to harsh winters would find ABQ attractive so there are trade offs on both sides. One last note is at the apartment complex where i live has two large huge ponds with goldfish and they have been frozen solid for two months now...
In the 20's? Ouch, I feel cold just thinking about it.

We are in the upper 40's right now and the high is expected in the low 50's. I guess ABQ can get quite a bit colder in the winters.

The Highs here are expected to reach the 60's by Sunday and be in the upper 60's by next Tuesday, I can't wait.

Last edited by Chuco; 02-02-2007 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
The sun shines 305 days per year on average in the Sun City. (ABQ is not far behind I believe)
And as for the hot summers, believe me since I have a pool in the backyard, they are fine by me. I'd take a hot summer over a blistering cold winter easily.

The average temperature for El Paso in:
June - 81
July - 83
The average high for El Paso in:
June - 96
July - 95

The average temperature for ABQ in:
June - 75
July - 79
The average high for ABQ in:
June - 90
July - 92

Those temperatures seem pretty close to me, plus ABQ also gets into the 100's, maybe not as much as El Paso, but it gets there every year also.

Yeah, you are absolutely right-on with your stats/figures Chuco...I never have quite understood why everyone seems to regard El Paso's summers as blistering hot, yet ABQ's as so mild and moderate. Frankly, while ABQ's are a hare cooler and a hare more pleasant than EP's - the difference is somewhat minute, truly, most days in the summer there isn't a great deal of difference between the temps in the two cities. You are right...Albuquerque can get quite hot, but like El Paso, it by no means is an unbearable heat like that of the Phoenix's, Tucson's, etc., of the world in either city.

But yeah, Albuquerque typically averages for highs about 3 or 4 degrees cooler than El Paso in the summer, which while helpful, is by no means the wide disparity that some folks seem to think there is. Albuquerque does get typically a hare of a better cool-down at night in the summers than El Paso does, and tends to be a bit less humid (not that El Paso is anything near humid either).

Bottom line is that El Paso is hotter than ABQ in the summer, but not by a great deal.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
In the 20's? Ouch, I feel cold just thinking about it.

We are in the upper 40's right now and the high is expected in the low 50's. I guess ABQ can get quite a bit colder in the winters.

The Highs here are expected to reach the 60's by Sunday and be in the upper 60's by next Tuesday, I can't wait.
Well, on particular days, Albuquerque can be colder than EP in the winter, but I wouldn't say that is the average or the norm by any means...don't get me wrong, EP is nicer than ABQ in the winter, warmth-wise, however, generally the difference isn't enormous.

While it is true that today - Friday [2.2] - is a particularly cold day here in ABQ by our standards - we've had a rare amount of them this winter - the highs are ranging from 38-to-40 only, when El Paso gets into the 60s, starting Sunday, we'll be getting into the high 50s every day...and as every El Pasoan can attest, high 50s with strong sun = very nice weather. In fact, starting Sunday, no day is predicted to be lower than the 50s for a high.

Here are the averages in winter between Albuquerque and El Paso, according to the Weather Channel [average HIGH temps listed first / average LOW temps listed second]:

NOV: 57 / 32
DEC: 48 / 24
JAN: 48 / 24
FEB: 55 / 28
MAR: 62 / 34

NOV: 66 / 40
DEC: 57 / 33
JAN: 57 / 33
FEB: 63 / 38
MAR: 70 / 44

*So typically, temps range from between 8-to-10 degrees - on average - in the winter months between El Paso and Albuquerque. So yes, El Paso is warmer in the winter than ABQ, however, I wouldn't say that these temps are hugely overwhelming, or that Albuquerque is bitterly cold in comparison. Some days (like today) we can be 15 degrees colder than EP, but then some days we can be about the same temp. On average, we are 8-to-10 degrees cooler.

But the nice thing is that in the summer when it is hot, ABQ is only 3 or 4 degrees on average cooler, so EP doesn't get as scorching hot as Phoenix / Tucson / etc.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Well, on particular days, Albuquerque can be colder than EP in the winter, but I wouldn't say that is the average or the norm by any means...don't get me wrong, EP is nicer than ABQ in the winter, warmth-wise, however, generally the difference isn't enormous.

While it is true that today - Friday [2.2] - is a particularly cold day here in ABQ by our standards - we've had a rare amount of them this winter - the highs are ranging from 38-to-40 only, when El Paso gets into the 60s, starting Sunday, we'll be getting into the high 50s every day...and as every El Pasoan can attest, high 50s with strong sun = very nice weather. In fact, starting Sunday, no day is predicted to be lower than the 50s for a high.

Here are the averages in winter between Albuquerque and El Paso, according to the Weather Channel [average HIGH temps listed first / average LOW temps listed second]:

NOV: 57 / 32
DEC: 48 / 24
JAN: 48 / 24
FEB: 55 / 28
MAR: 62 / 34

NOV: 66 / 40
DEC: 57 / 33
JAN: 57 / 33
FEB: 63 / 38
MAR: 70 / 44

*So typically, temps range from between 8-to-10 degrees - on average - in the winter months between El Paso and Albuquerque. So yes, El Paso is warmer in the winter than ABQ, however, I wouldn't say that these temps are hugely overwhelming, or that Albuquerque is bitterly cold in comparison. Some days (like today) we can be 15 degrees colder than EP, but then some days we can be about the same temp. On average, we are 8-to-10 degrees cooler.

But the nice thing is that in the summer when it is hot, ABQ is only 3 or 4 degrees on average cooler, so EP doesn't get as scorching hot as Phoenix / Tucson / etc.
Ahh thats good to hear EnjoyEP, I'm glad to hear that ABQ will get into the 50's next week. I just like the warm weather, I used to like snow and winters when I was younger, but now that I'm in my 30's I tend to enjoy the warmer parts of the year a lot more. Hot climates don't bother me one bit, but cold winters I don't seem to like anymore. I really think El Paso's weather is almost perfect for me.

The only really true hot large cities that I consider "hot" cities are Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas, now those cities get into the 107+ temperatures almost every day in the summers, El Paso and ABQ, don't get that hot, and if they do its only for a few days.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Ahh thats good to hear EnjoyEP, I'm glad to hear that ABQ will get into the 50's next week. I just like the warm weather, I used to like snow and winters when I was younger, but now that I'm in my 30's I tend to enjoy the warmer parts of the year a lot more. Hot climates don't bother me one bit, but cold winters I don't seem to like anymore. I really think El Paso's weather is almost perfect for me.

The only really true hot large cities that I consider "hot" cities are Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas, now those cities get into the 107+ temperatures almost every day in the summers, El Paso and ABQ, don't get that hot, and if they do its only for a few days.
Yep, I hear you Chuco. I have spent time in Las Vegas, NV in the summer...now THAT is hot! To me, El Paso and Albuquerque are very hot but "livable" outdoors in the summer...Las Vegas (and PHX and Tucson) are not.

But I am with you - I prefer warmer weather. It is just that for me, in hailing from the Midwest, it is hard to call weather down here in ABQ in the winter "cold"...today is - with a stiff wind - up here one of the coldest days in ABQ I have ever experienced. However, although it is only in the mid-30s with a good wind (and yes, cold), I see up in Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc., they are in the single-digits with lows tonight well below zero! Yikes! That is COLD!!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Hang in there, Harry O (Week Forecast Ahead)

Well, I have no idea how this thread got turned into "Meteorology Hour", but since we are talking weather, and I am a self-professed weather fanatic (or my wife my term "weather geek"), here is some heartening news for you, Harry O.

After today's cold day in ABQ, and tomorrow's brisk day, look at the weather ahead - this is according to the Weather Channel - predicted highs:

ALBUQUERQUE
FRI: High - 39
SAT: High - 45
SUN: High - 52
MON: High - 57
TUES: High - 59
WED: High - 57
THURS: High - 57
FRI: High - 55
SAT: High - 54
SUN: High - 53

So hang in there...the cold isn't sticking around!

Old 02-02-2007, 04:10 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Thanks EnjoyEP for posting the upcoming temps as that has me feeling good as ''your good people''. You ought to apply at the State Dept of Tourism as you'd do well in representing NM or EP. Thanks again bud.........

Old 02-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks EnjoyEP for posting the upcoming temps as that has me feeling good as ''your good people''.
No problem whatsoever - I thought that might make you feel a bit warmer with a long stretch of warmth ahead! (You were right...I was outside today for a long run at lunch, and it WAS frigid...one of the colder days I have felt in Albuquerque truly ever in the daytime. I think the kicker today was that stiff breeze out of the west...it made it feel much colder even than it was.

Quote:
You ought to apply at the State Dept of Tourism as you'd do well in representing NM or EP. Thanks again bud.......
You got a big chuckle out of me, as a few other folks from time-to-time have told me I should work for the Tourism Board in ABQ or EP...truth be told, I wouldn't mind doing it at all if I didn't have a job that I currently enjoy! It is true though...I really just am that enthused by the Rio Grande Valley cities. I love the culture and I love the weather and I love the food, and I love the golfing, the list goes on...just much different than what I was used to in the upper midwest. My wife's grandma, who resides in El Paso, is in her upper 80s, is a native of Mexico (although a legal U.S. citizen for years) - she speaks only Spanish - and she told me a year or two ago that she had never seen a gringo who liked El Paso as much as I did! And it is true...I would recommend ABQ or EP to anyone if they have an open mind to the desert and a different pace of life!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Quote:
I hear you dude....I left in 1990 as back then i was unskilled so the only job i found was working at the ''Good Time'' store when i left EP. I went to Jacksonville, Fla for 5 years and now up here in Abq for 12 years . I 'm going to transfer to Tucson, AZ as i will have a chance to perfect my HVAC skills so i can move back to the El Paso/Alamogordo area in the future. You gotta have some type of Skill to make a good living there I.E. Auto/Diesel Mechanics, Journeyman Plumber, Electrician or HVAC like i'm in... etc...

I admit i hate northern NM (sorry EnjoyEP and Observe)as its to cold and dreary in the winter months as i get the ''SAD Disorder'' unless i see the hot sunshine year around. I'd could never live in the northwest (seattle) or the deep south (atlanta) as its always overcast and raining in these places and also the plains (oklahoma) are always getting blizzards so very few places left for me. So Tucson. Az here i come and unless i madly fall in love with the area i'm coming back home to El Paso or Alamogordo and work in Air Conditioning/Refrigeration to make my living there. My dream before i die is to buy a cabin in Cloudcroft or a place in La Luz Canyon.. later !!

You should look at Alamagordo, with the space port, and all that its an up and coming area to be. besides you like sun shine, and easy access to mountains and what not, then I know you'll love it there. A bit on the small side, but it has grown a lot recently. And hey they need HVAC as well. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso