U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 60,284 times

Advertisements

Hey Malamute! Isn't it funy that what we have in common and is supossed to join us sparks a fire so heated! Just have a laugh! Nobody is perfect and even the Castillian Spanish is not perfect. Most of the defects in s's, z's, drop of the vowels, or joint of two words, and others arrived to us through the Spaniards that came to America if they were from Islas Canarias, Castilla, Andalucia, if they had arabian influence, if they had french, portuguese or any other language or culture influence affected the way they spoke. Also once they settled in the America's the criollos got mixed with the natives, and the africans that they brought to do the toughest labor. All this mixture makes up what the different latinamerican nations cultures and regionalist differences in languages are today. Again nobody is perfect. We just need to be tolerant and understand that there is more out there than meets the eye. Keep an open mind.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-17-2008, 09:21 AM

2,625 posts, read 10,697,153 times
Funny i used to work w a puerto rican woman at a call center, and she claims that she couldnt pronounce the [r's} when she spoke spanish.For example "gordo" to her it was "goldo" arroz was "ajo" or "alloz", then 1 time she asked for this lady named "ms rodriguez" and she rolled all her [r's], and i was like[ "i thought u were unable to roll your r's] she was like "i can, but i choose not to, even my brother told me that im starting to sound mexican" i was like ooooooh kay....

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM

729 posts, read 1,927,588 times
I have Puerto Rican friends from the east coast...The Bronx!! They swear that they dont but admit other Puerto Ricans hate on Mexicans big time. She does not know why.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM

10 posts, read 37,572 times
Spanish is like English. There is British English (original) and there is American English (the off-shoot). There is Spain Spanish (original) and there is Latin American Spanish (the off-shoot).

In Spain (Castellano or Castilian - Official Spanish) the "c" has a "th" sound. So you will hear "thinco" instead of "cinco". You will also hear the "ll" pronounced with a soft "L" instead of a "y". Cubans (from the isle) sound similar to Spaniards because they hang out in Spain a lot.

Everyone else speaks a regional form of Spanish with indigenous words, various accents, and sounds mixed in.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 37,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
I have Puerto Rican friends from the east coast...The Bronx!! They swear that they dont but admit other Puerto Ricans hate on Mexicans big time. She does not know why.
I think the younger generation having been exposed to so many different types of people get along far better than the older generation who were somewhat separated.

Just think, 50 yrs ago were Salvadorans on the East Coast? No. Were Mexicans in NYC? No.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:49 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
If they are from the bronx they are really Newyoricans. Funny, I know a puerto rican lady from Puerto Rico and she disliked the puertoricans from New York.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,494,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
One big reason for the animosity is the difference in how each speaks Spanish.

I know of a Mexican family where the father had a job transfer to the NE part of the USA, first they were happy to hear they could keep their kids in Spanish classrooms so they would "keep their language", until the kids came home lisping and they discovered the Spanish teacher was Cuban. They yanked those kids out of her class fast and stuck them in English classrooms because that wasn't the Spanish they should be learning.

I wouldn't see any reason for the two groups to be more bonded than either are with other groups such as Polish or Italian. Puerto Rico and Mexico have their own histories, foods, culture. Racially they aren't the same either.
Where in the NE? I know they don't offer Spanish teaching in the Boston metro area.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 AM

47,528 posts, read 65,240,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Where in the NE? I know they don't offer Spanish teaching in the Boston metro area.
In or near New York City.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:45 AM

3,858 posts, read 6,529,693 times
Quote:
For me we are all the same, we were conquered by the freaking Spaniards when they came fom Europe we all have the same language, Spanish!!!
More likely your ancestors were the freaking Spanish or came after the conquest. Puerto Rico is 80% White (Spanish, French..) and 8% Black. Maybe that is source of any animosity. Mexico is 60-75% Mestizo, 12-30% indigenous and 10-15% White.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 PM

71 posts, read 187,066 times
I must be immune to the segregated thought process. I mean I know not all of us are Hispanic, White or Mexican....whatever title you give yourself, but I just don't notice. Not many of my fellow generation peers do....maybe its all the old timers and what they've been through. It hardens the heart....with all due respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso