U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 PM

870 posts, read 904,093 times

Advertisements

<left>I was born in Puerto Rico and lived in Chicago among Cubans and Mexicans for three years. On first arrival there I was unaware of any type of animosity existing between the two groups. However, the animosity became evident when I began attending a church where Mexican Americans predominated. Of course I attributed it to personality quirks or perhaps my unintentional projection of some disagreeable quality. But then after hearing negative comments it gradually dawned on me that the animosity was based on ethnic differences. Especially when the same reaction was repeated at places of employment where my presence imediately became a major issue among Mexican workers. At church of course it was isolation. But at the job it was outright harassment. In fact, whenever I think about living among Mexicans again I imagine the same garbage starting gain and change my mind.</left>
Rate this post positively

Old 01-29-2011, 06:08 PM

206 posts, read 487,315 times
I thought only White people were bigoted.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
Default Prospective student athlete

'm a student - athlete (baseball) from Puerto Rico who is considering to study and be part of the baseball team in El Paso CC. I also have other college options; but so far, everything that I read and saw in Internet is very positive about the city of El Paso; and also about the community college.

Please tell me anything (advise, facts, details) that you think are important for me to consider and to help me make my mind. THANK YOU!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 9,078 times
I am Mexican American, and as sad as it is, my family is racist. Especially towards Puerto Ricans. We were taught that they were lower class, dirty people, and they hated mexicans. It was really ignorant of my family but I couldn't help the way I was raised. It wasn't until I was an adult I met a sweet woman and later discovered she was puerto rican. It first shocked me, destroying all prior misconceptions of them, and then caused me to befriend her. Making me want to learn more about what true Puerto Ricans are like. So, personally, I was raised to hate them for reasons my family had. That's what racism truly is, ignorance.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 AM

404 posts, read 792,232 times
In every race and culture there is both good and bad people regardless of what one might think; People will either continue to get along or they will continue to half their prejudice Hangups. I'd much rather get along with all people then not to get along at all, but some people can never change their evil ways, so I'll take the High Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso