Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,424 times

Advertisements

El paso doesn't compare to any of those cities. I was born in el paso but moved to Leander Texas right away. So i consider Leander my hometown. I am a Texican and familiar with Mexican traditions.. I live in El Paso currently again but it feels like Mexico and no damn Texas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
If I had to choose, I would probably say it's somewhere in between the likes of San Antonio and Laredo. ..with mountains. McAllen and Brownsville seem too tropical/humid. In all honesty, El Paso seems like its own animal, though.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I think most people here identify with San Antonio out of those choices. Lots of similarities in culture and a lot of people seem to have family there. There is also a lot of people who seem as equally drawn to AQB, Phoenix and LA. Moreso than Dallas or Houston IMO.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salazama View Post
I'm originally from EP but have been living in Austin or almost 20 yrs and one thing i notice is how El Paso seems detached from the rest of the state. If you live anywhere in or around the triangle between DFW, SA, and Houston you feel like you have much in common with people from all those cities. We all have that Texan attitude, sometimes brash, full of state pride. I met a couple from Toronto visiting Texas for the first time, the husband asked me If I thought of myself as a Texan or an American first. Odd question to ask to anyone from any other state except Texas. I don't get that sense coming back to El Paso, Don't know if it's the distance thing or what. Sometimes it seems people Identify more with California or Arizona.
Politics wise, El Paso doesn't go the way the rest of the state does either, but than again neither does Austin.
I'm EP born and raised but have been living away for 18 years. I lived 13 of those years in Austin and now live in Houston. I agree very much with your post.

I have to say though, I have found parts of EP in Austin, in Houston, in San Antonio so there's always a little "home" no matter where I am. In fact, when I feel homesick, I drive through those areas of town. I don't really feel like any of the large cities have an entirely EP feel.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:38 PM

433 posts, read 660,654 times
I never understood why so many el Paso residents identify with and love LA/California so much. I guess because its so far from any other TX cities so the TX pride isn't an influence on them. Hell ep is a mystery to most people in other TX cities because you literally have to drive all day to get there

Old 01-11-2014, 05:28 PM

340 posts, read 609,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
I never understood why so many el Paso residents identify with and love LA/California so much. I guess because its so far from any other TX cities so the TX pride isn't an influence on them. Hell ep is a mystery to most people in other TX cities because you literally have to drive all day to get there
It seems to me that a lot of El Pasoans have family in the LA area, so it is probably that. Also, I think LA is closer to EP than Houston - or at least about the same distance.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Also, the border culture is stronger in Southern California where there are lots of seasonal workers in the inland areas....so they do the circuit depending on what crop is in season.

Then for many years, El Paso had KTLA as a UPN tv affiliate I believe, so many people here saw the LA news...that kind of reinforced the connection....sports teams...awareness, etc. Plus, Socal has been more Hispanic dominated for a longer time tan DFW or Houston I believe, which EP can readily identify with.

Then there is the plain and simple geography...EP is reminiscento of LA from it's night time views in Sunset Heights and Scenic Drive. The weather is more desert SW than plains or gulf coast...

I think all these factors play a role. But I also think EP is evenly divided by other SW cities and TX cities. There isn't a clear winner IMO. LA is just one of several.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
It seems to me that a lot of El Pasoans have family in the LA area, so it is probably that. Also, I think LA is closer to EP than Houston - or at least about the same distance.
I also grew up in EP and about 80% of my mom's side of the family lives in and around southern California. We always vacationed there growing up and my sister even moved there after college. I am the odd man out that moved to Houston area and the rest of my family was like WTF???? why you going there?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
El Paso's history with Juarez makes it unlike any other city in the country. It seems like a shared city between Texas, New Mexico and Chihuahua. There's no place like it on earth.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso