Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM

14 posts, read 31,255 times

Advertisements

i got accepted to UTEP(which is seemingly easy)for the spring and i was wondering is El paso a good college town like austin is because i noticed they are almost the same size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 PM

729 posts, read 2,060,227 times
UTEP is way different than UT. ATX is a college town. UTEP is a commuter school. But I hear it is changing to a more college town. Someone that goes there can fill better than I can. I graduated in 1999 so I may be alittle out of touch.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,899,785 times
El Paso is nothing like Austin. I dont think we have the same college vibe UT Austin does.. but UTEP is on the rise and many changes are taking place.. and the schools campus is awesome.. so are the buildings. If your looking for a Party School, UTEP is not it.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,194,947 times
In the last game against Texas, El Paso had a real college town feel to it, the whole community was amped up for the game, houses all around utep, were waving their utep flags proudly! Its not up to par, with the big universitys yet, but its improving, alot of students are taking advantage of campus housing.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 31,255 times
so there are not alot of parties at UTEP

Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,899,785 times
There are a few.. when I was in high school we used to go to Frat Parties, but that was back in the 80's.. so yeah I am a bit outta touch with all that now.

An Example, Austin has 6th street.. El Paso doesn't.. it does have Juarez.. but things are a bit unstable over there... and the law has cracked down on students crossing.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:57 PM

730 posts, read 1,888,308 times
But ELP has Cincinnati Street/zone. I think it depends on what you are looking for in a"College Town". We are not a residential campus, so parties are not as evident as UTA. ELP definitely supports UTEP, more than any town/gown relationship I have seen (and yes, Saturday's atmosphere was awesome). We will never compete with Univ of Florida or UTA for Playboy's Top Party Schools, but I think if you get involved in campus you can always have a good experience.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:24 PM

729 posts, read 2,060,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceton View Post
so there are not alot of parties at UTEP

Dude..are you gonna party or study? I think you can do both if you have a balance and control of the two.

Its really easy to f-up that GPA. You will be ok here.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:37 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,593,923 times
yeah are you gonna study or party ,dont get caught up with the party crowd or before you know it 10 years will go by

Old 09-11-2008, 04:33 PM

105 posts, read 492,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryceton View Post
i got accepted to UTEP(which is seemingly easy)for the spring and i was wondering is El paso a good college town like austin is because i noticed they are almost the same size
UTEP accept anything with a pulse anymore. Sorry to be so negative, but it's true. If I were you, I would consider a different university for now (at least until the university president, Diana Natalicio, leaves). If you can, go to UT-Austin, Texas Tech, or Texas A&M.

As far as El Paso being a college town--nope. UTEP is a commuter college. Most students leave campus as soon as classes are over, mainly because many students work part- or full-time. So the city just doesn't have the "college town" feel of, say Austin or even Tucson. Yeah, there's a tiny area near campus that has that "college-type" feel to it, but it's just a handful of buildings.

El Paso and Austin are roughly the same size, but they're worlds apart in terms of economic opportunity, political power, and entertainment choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso