Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 04:06 PM

146 posts, read 520,365 times

Advertisements

With all the new troops coming to Fort Bliss do you think that the economy will boom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times
Yes, I think the economy here will be booming within the next few years. Many projections expect major growth in El Paso's economy, primarily because of the huge Ft. Bliss expansion.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:47 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
FT Bliss is in the northeast part of town and most soldiers seem to stay in that area. They will receive the major economic effects.

I think El Paso has a good future but too much growth will give it the problems too many other cities have. Right now traffic is near its limit of what EP can handle, enjoy it it like it is rather than hope for more.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
With all the new troops coming to Fort Bliss do you think that the economy will boom
I think it will stay like it is. The troops coming only keep us from economic collapse because we've lost most of our industries. It brings a whole bunch of federal dollars into this city.

What happens though if the new administration in Washington DC decides to cut military spending because the government is out of money?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 PM

729 posts, read 2,066,634 times
I think with all the new troops ELP's Democratic stronghold will be loosened by the conservative minded military way of life and thinking. I sure would hope so. So many decades of Dem's has gotten ELP in the self inflicted "hole" that Muhnay best described awhile back.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Boom depends on next president...

'Not to start a political war here, however, one candidate has made it clear that he would cut military and defense spending, even eliminate some defense systems. It's all out there on Youtube, and Google, you can search it if you care to.

The point is, one candidate will increase spending, ensure the boom continues, the other will cut, or reduce spending. White Sands, and Ft Bliss would be negatively affected if programs are cut, or eliminated.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
'Not to start a political war here, however, one candidate has made it clear that he would cut military and defense spending, even eliminate some defense systems. It's all out there on Youtube, and Google, you can search it if you care to.

The point is, one candidate will increase spending, ensure the boom continues, the other will cut, or reduce spending. White Sands, and Ft Bliss would be negatively affected if programs are cut, or eliminated.
I don't mind having my own personal economy kept going but I don't think it's wise to have all our eggs in one basket. Right now the only thing bringing in money is Fort Bliss.

I think it was better when we had Mountain Pass or Old El Paso, Levi's Farah's, plastic molding and other manufacturing. Just like BRAC meant hardship for other cities with bases that were closing or being cut, at some point in the future the same military cuts can be made that will hurt us. The candidate promising to slash the military is ahead in the polls I believe.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 AM

729 posts, read 2,066,634 times
How can the ELP economy be booming if the jobless rate is up?

El Paso jobless rate hits highest level in '08 - El Paso Times

Old 09-20-2008, 11:08 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Thats a good question Smooth. I also think with this many people moving here your going to see it decline.. not go up. People just don't understand.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 AM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times
I don't think people are saying that it is booming right now, in fact they are saying if it will boom when all the troops start arriving.

The whole country isn't booming right now, the whole country is going through a rough stage at the moment.. not just El Paso. Hopefully in the next few years thing will get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso