Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:52 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,187,897 times

Advertisements

I still see it, but not as much as i used to, women are more independent nowadays, and they aint taking no crap from anybody, in my eyes they give up too fast, but thats another subject...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,186,711 times
I do not live there anymore, but I do recall the macho factor. When I was in my early teens living in El Paso, it was the late seventies. What was big then was the Cholo factor. Are they still around in large numbers?

They were the 'cool' crowd, but always looked like trouble to me. When I started high school, there were none that I noticed. However, that quickly changed by the time I was a sophomore; the Cholo craze hit the school.

I had a wimpy friend since elementary school, junior high, and high school. This cat was a wimp, skinny as a toothpick, we called him Palo. Well, Palo disappeared one week, we did not hear from him for over a year.

Low and behold, he showed up almost two years later, I was a junior by this time, and the stick came back from California, or Cali as he corrected me. He came back all Chuco. Complete with the kaki pants, white t-shirt, and one button flannel shirt. He did not put on the bandana, but I'm sure when we weren't around, he did, probably in front of a mirror.

The guy was an idiot before he left, everyone always picked on him, sometimes me too because he was my friend. But he came back with a poisoned attitude. The same stick thought he was a big stick, acting tough, giving mean looks, but I still knew inside he was the same old guy I knew since elementary school.

Long story short, Palo ended up in prison, as did many of the guys I went to school with. So much for the Cholo coolness, I guess he is now macho in Huntsville State Prison.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 10-04-2008 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-05-2008, 02:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
I think you can see it in the drinking and driving especially driving very fast when drunk, and it's a factor in the gang problems, when someone pulls out a gun and kills someone who dissed him. Domestic abuse is fairly high, and of course the road rage incidents. Even some of the women have a very macho attitude, I've seen women fighting over who gets the last beer in a keg running dry.

I don't know if it's really all that bad here compared with other places because the murder rate here is lower than many big cities. Road rage is probably worse in other cities. Domestic abuse -- I'm not sure how we rank on that.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:32 AM

729 posts, read 2,058,343 times
If they are still around you can see them on the EPPD website. If you ask me they are a bunch of cry baby losers who think everybody owes them something. The best thing for ELP is for all of them to leave. They are the major factor bringing ELP down and keeping it down.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM

447 posts, read 1,573,278 times
Yes they are still around, I meet them all the time at work. And I agree with smooth that they whine, think they are king and that you should serve them instantly. Bastards.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:57 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,478,449 times
Cholos are an endangered species around here - I rarely see them, even in ghetto areas. I think they all went to Las Cruces.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM

I think they all went to Las Cruces.

hell yeah, just got to the enchilada festival aka "encholada festival" theirs thousands of them in las cruces and albuquerque!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,186,711 times
How nice... seeing Cholos go to a festival, eating funnel cake, doing the chicken dance, and cake walk!

The thing the Cholos, and Cholas, need to understand is that being Cholo should be a phase of style, not a life style. When I see C.O.P.S and see Mexicans, they are usually Cholos... with some heavy bling I might add. The local TV stations there need to do one of those VH1 specials.... 'Where are they now?'. Show what happens to Cholos when they go down the Cholo path.

Horale ese. Quieres mas, o quieres un huevo?! Pongalo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqsrq34qDyk

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 10-07-2008 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 PM

879 posts, read 3,026,764 times
El Paso's gang problem pales in comparison to other cities gang problems around the country. We do have some gang members, but its not nearly as bad as some may think it is for this border city.

I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's when the gang membership and violence was on the rise, where El Paso had like 50 murders a year.. but now its not anything like that. Mostly wannabe's are what rule El Paso these days.. which is good.

Gang activity down - El Paso Times

Old 10-07-2008, 01:58 PM

Yes it was really bad in the late 80s, early 90s, i remember wheh all these gangs came from l.a., white fence, hazard, and f troop, the first week, hazard came to el paso, i beleive they murdered 6 people like in a 2 week period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso