Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,860 times

Advertisements

Hi! i just want to ask if someone knows does el paso community college provide student visa. i am a tourist here and would like to apply for student visa before my visa expire. can anyone tell me what are their procedures? THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 07:10 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,183,395 times
Default Not that easy...

Supermommy, obtaining an F-1, or an M-1 visa is not an easy thing to do. By your own admission, you've already made it more difficult by being here as a tourist. You would fair better if you were in your country of residence, and applied from there; the US immigration authorities are suspicious when someone already in the US goes the route you are considering, but this can be overlooked if you have a sponsor.

Also, I'm guessing you have sufficient funds to be considered, and that would include the cost of tuition for a full year, plus the cost of health insurance, plus living expenses (room and board, food). You would need bank records to prove this. The school would need this information as they would be your sponsor (assuming EPCC even does this).

Or if you have someone in El Paso to sponsor you, they could fill these requirements on your behalf. Having a sponsor makes it easier, else, if you don't, you have to compete with the thousands of foreigners that try to come into the US each year using this route, and there are quotas.

'Sorry, don't mean to burst your bubble, or discourage you, but I'm just stating the facts for you, or for anyone who may read this thread who has the same questions.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:50 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,421,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Supermommy, obtaining an F-1, or an M-1 visa is not an easy thing to do. By your own admission, you've already made it more difficult by being here as a tourist. You would fair better if you were in your country of residence, and applied from there; the US immigration authorities are suspicious when someone already in the US goes the route you are considering, but this can be overlooked if you have a sponsor.

Also, I'm guessing you have sufficient funds to be considered, and that would include the cost of tuition for a full year, plus the cost of health insurance, plus living expenses (room and board, food). You would need bank records to prove this. The school would need this information as they would be your sponsor (assuming EPCC even does this).

Or if you have someone in El Paso to sponsor you, they could fill these requirements on your behalf. Having a sponsor makes it easier, else, if you don't, you have to compete with the thousands of foreigners that try to come into the US each year using this route, and there are quotas.

'Sorry, don't mean to burst your bubble, or discourage you, but I'm just stating the facts for you, or for anyone who may read this thread who has the same questions.

I agree, her chances are slim to none.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:23 PM

730 posts, read 1,885,393 times
Default Exactly

Hook is right on.....Almost sounds like he's worked with international students

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

Last edited by Caltep; 10-16-2008 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM

507 posts, read 2,053,937 times
Oh, the old [intentionally]-overstay-your-tourist-visa-and-find-a-way-to-stay-in-U.S. trick. A common scheme in Florida when I lived there. Don't see it too much around here, though. I really hope ICE catches up to you.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM

And...once you start onto that path, you will definitely start damaging any chance of gaining permanent residency let alone citizenship. Should have done it the other way around...at least with a student visa you would have up to seven years to start on residency process. Tourist visa? Kinda messed up on that.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
Hook is right on.....Almost sounds like he's worked with international students
Not exactly, however, my wife is from Spain (Barcelona), and I know all about the various visas, and the effort to get them. She happened to be a student when I met her. My wife is not a US citizen, however, she is a Green Card holder, permanent resident, has an SSN and pays taxes like everyone else. She cannot vote, or be on jury duty. She immigrated to the US legally with her family, they waited their turn, three years from applying in person in Madrid.

Ironically, it truly is a hassle/nightmare dealing with the immigration office if you follow the rules, I don't advocate it, but I can see why people choose to do things illegally, it's easier, and the chances of getting caught, especially in a sanctuary city like Houston, are almost nill.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:19 PM

I am familiar with the woes of INS...it was worse befoe you could do some of it on line. Back in the day, I remember getting to the INS for a number at 6:30am with no guarantee of actually seeing an officer. Yes, doing it illegally seems rather appealing, but as Hook's wife experienced, in the long run doing it the right way ensures your stay here.

Last edited by Caltep; 10-17-2008 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-16-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
I am familiar with the woes of INS...it was worse befoe you could do some of it on line. Back in the day, I remember gettinng to the INS for a number at 6:30am with no guarantee of actually seeing an officer. Yes, doing it illegally seems rather appealing, but as Hook's wife experienced, in the long run doing it the right way ensures your stay here.
You aren't kidding. My wife used to dread having to wakeup at 05:30 so she could be at the INS office at 07:30, to wait until 09:00 for them to open. Then, as you duly noted, had to wait behind the other people who were already there before her and not knowing exactly when she would see an agent! Her record was 9 hours there.

I'm sorry to say, but too many idiots who are given the rules, but do not follow them, like the most basic, which is 'Have all your paper work completed, and copies before you get in line'. This is what makes those waits so long, people don't have their SHT in order!

Okay... I'm done.

PS... This was before the INS changed the rules on the green cards, before the change, my wife, and her entire family, had to each schedule a visit to the INS office to renew the cards. Three of her siblings became naturalized, so that ended the ordeal for them. As for my wife, the rule change allowed her to get a green card that does not have to be renewed; i.e., all green cards now do not have an expiration date on them.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 10-17-2008 at 12:05 AM..

Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 AM

And sometimes you are made to feel like you just came from 4th class steerage on the Titanic. Over and out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: