Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 PM

730 posts, read 1,894,752 times

Advertisements

Heard being in G & T programs in EPSID is no big deal. Maybe more homework.We got tired of waiting for our kid to be tested for it and I think she is gifted and talented without the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "Pediatric" dentist here. Where I moved from they were very common. There is a level of ineptness that exists here where basic common sense and logic escapes many. Case in point was with my last visit to the dentist. Scheduled two simultaneous appointments for two kids. One would assume that an appointment would INCLUDE an exam AND cleaning. Um, nope, not here in the specialness that is El Paso. They could only schedule an "exam" for two kids - took my kids out of school for the appointment only to find out that I need to schedule a "cleaning appointment" too. Insipid doesn't quite cover that one. An exam should follow a thorough cleaning - idiots. Why they chose not to tell me that they could only do half a proper appointment is a mystery; why they think it is okay not to clean teeth before examining is concerning. We could have looked at ANOTHER date instead of the SOONEST available had I been told exactly what I was signing up for. Apparently way too complex for the person scheduling.

When dealing with anyone here, do not assume higher degrees of intelligence - ever - not even from a professional medical office. You have to be very clear, very instructive about what you need them to do as well as how you want them to do it.

For accelerated anything in El Paso, I wish you the best of luck. Seriously, EPISD is probably not a good option for you if you are looking for anything - at all - extra for your child. Advanced or special services, much like proper gymnasiums, art and music, are non existent in the EPISD. I can not speak to other districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 AM

271 posts, read 809,516 times
Meredith
My 11 yr old son has multiple health issues and when we moved here last year we ended up with Dr. Mendoza 915-857-6390 as our pediatrician and are very happy with the level of care our son receives. Our daughter is in all accelerated classes as she was where we came from and she feels it's just as challenging here. We live on the far east side in the Tierras off Joe Battle and we have no complaints about the SISD. The east side is growing rapidly and has virtually everything you will need. No matter where you live getting around isn't difficult.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:09 PM

44 posts, read 156,119 times
The houses we have looked at (on the internet so far) have been on the west side 79912 area because I was told it was a nice side with good schools. But someone else told me to look at the Sierra Vista area because you have bigger lots and lots of younger families with children are moving there. Yet ANOTHER suggestion was the East side, the far east side? (not sure what that means).
I am leaning more towards the West side because I was told it was 40 minutes to Las Cruces where one of my husbands stores will be. The East side is an additional 25 minutes or so? Is that true? What about the North and South Sides? Or does El Paso not really have those?
I will be there around Xmas time unless my house sells before that and I can actually come down and close on a house. Don't want to get into, (nor can I afford) multiple mortgages.
I have been writing all the M.D.s you have suggested so I can check them out.
Please keep responding with suggestions, I have until the first of the year to figure out where to live!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM

44 posts, read 156,119 times
Oh, and I am glad to hear that the Gifted Talented programs are still challenging. That is one of my biggest fears, that we will move and they will be bored with school.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,255 times
There is a northwest and northeast but no north side. If you are going to be travelling to Las Cruces a lot, the west side is definitely for you.

As long as you are involved in your children's education, you will probably not have a problem with the school's here.

Welcome to El Paso. Make sure to go to a Miner Basketball game as soon as you get here!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:52 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,487 times
On the westside the attendance zone lines between the Franklin & Canutillo High School zones are not obvious. Even houses side-by-side on the same street may in different attendance zones. Don't trust your real estate agent. Be sure to check your address at
Elementary Schools

If you are commuting to Las Cruces it's better to be on the westside so you don't ge caught up in eastside I-10 rush hour traffic jams.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:28 AM

730 posts, read 1,894,752 times
Default True

If you buy a house just so far over the line, you will be in the Canutillo dstrict. I don't know much about Canutillo, so I am not dissing on it, but if your intent is EPISD, you should really pay attention becsuse I have realtor listings even get this wrong. The zone you really need to look out for is anything west of Helen of Troy because the new development off of Resler, not even 1/2 mile from helen of Troy is Canutillo district. Ther is a new development on Resler (the Gallery of Homes is what their sign says) taht is not EPISD and some of the developements heading to the outlet mall.

I like the westside. I don't get to see the far east side much but it appeared to be so crowded (homes bunched closely together). Only cautions I give you if you choose westside-make sure you are not in the direct path of any down hill water run off. If you are perpendicular to a down sloping street you will be OK (at least we were in 2006). Westside, because it is very hilly, will get flooding. Also, I would not buy a house with a hillside in the backyard, even though the hill is covered in cement and rocks.....it looks secure but you will risk the rocks and hill side coming down. That happened a lot around our neighborhood in 2006. This is a dry area, but the last couple of summers have brought some pretty bad heavy rains. This is a buyers market, so you can be pretty picky right now.

In regard to schools, check out the zones for Tippin, Kohlberg, and Polk if you are looking for schools rated pretty well. And as I said before, a new elementary and middle school are being built in the area serving parts of Ridgeview Estates and Park Hills neighborhoods at the top of High Ridge Street. All of the schools mentioned here are in the Franklin feeder pattern..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
On the westside the attendance zone lines between the Franklin & Canutillo High School zones are not obvious. Even houses side-by-side on the same street may in different attendance zones. Don't trust your real estate agent. Be sure to check your address at
Elementary Schools

If you are commuting to Las Cruces it's better to be on the westside so you don't ge caught up in eastside I-10 rush hour traffic jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso