Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM

15 posts, read 39,734 times

Advertisements

I WAS LOOKING AT THE TEAMS THAT MIGHT BE COMING DOWN TO PLAY IN THE SUN BOWL AND ACCORDING TO "THEIR" LOCAL NEWS, NOBODY WANTS TO COME TO THE SUN BOWL. I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NO BCS BOWL AND THAT IF I WERE TO BE A COACH, OBVIOUSLY MY TARGET WOULD BE TO GO TO A "MORE" RECOGNIZED BOWL. WHAT CAN THE SUN BOWL OR THE CITY OF EL PASO DO, TO MAKE IT A BOWL THAT TEAMS WOULD WANT TO COME? IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE?

Last edited by Bo; 12-02-2008 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Updated title to better explain the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,207 times
get out of the contracts they now have and go solo,come on Oregon st again what we need are teams that haven't been here, how many times has purdue been here

Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
think we had this thread. I'd love to see Cal come but they would have had to lose their last game or the next one against Washington ( won't happen).

I hate that all the bowls are now commercially named. The SUN bowl used to mean EL Paso was a sunny place and that would attract people.

I do like the Pac 10 and Big 10 as those schools care about academics even more than sports.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
It is not a slight against the Sun Bowl that the teams coming here are disappointed. With the conferences we are contractually tied to, the teams that end up in the Sun Bowl were sometimes one or two wins away from playing in a big time BCS bowl. Sometimes those losses don't come until the last week of the season. I'm sure they teams don't care which city they actually play in. They just want to be in a BCS bowl rather than a mid major.

As far as not being in a BCS bowl, there is nothing wrong with the Sun Bowl. We are on a network channel and not lost in the cable shuffle. It's usually great weather and always 40K+ fans in the seats. Probably 50K+. Watch some of those other bowls on ESPN. Quite a few are in half empty stadiums.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:57 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
The Sun Bowl is in some ways a consolation prize as it takes the 3rd place team from the Pac-10 and - at best - 2nd pick from the Big East but more often 5th pick. (I'm sooo confused)

Quote:
2008 Brut Sun Bowl - 75th Anniversary - Selection Process

The Brut Sun Bowl Process

The Brut Sun Bowl will match up the Pac-10 Conference versus either the Big 12 Conference, the Big East Conference or the University of Notre Dame.

The Brut Sun Bowl selects the third place team from the Pac-10, who will be the visiting team in 2008.

The Brut Sun Bowl is in an agreement with the Konika Minolta Gator Bowl to alternate picks between the Big 12 and Big East Conferences with each bowl game having a one-time option to select Notre Dame.

If the Gator Bowl selects a Big East Conference school, then the Brut Sun Bowl will have the fifth pick from the Big 12 Conference. If the Gator Bowl selects a Big 12 Conference school, the Brut Sun Bowl has the second pick from the Big East Conference. If Notre Dame is not selected to participate in the Bowl Championship Series, then they would replace a Big East selection by either bowl game if bowl eligible.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshua773 View Post
I WAS LOOKING AT THE TEAMS THAT MIGHT BE COMING DOWN TO PLAY IN THE SUN BOWL AND ACCORDING TO "THEIR" LOCAL NEWS, NOBODY WANTS TO COME TO THE SUN BOWL. I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NO BCS BOWL AND THAT IF I WERE TO BE A COACH, OBVIOUSLY MY TARGET WOULD BE TO GO TO A "MORE" RECOGNIZED BOWL. WHAT CAN THE SUN BOWL OR THE CITY OF EL PASO DO, TO MAKE IT A BOWL THAT TEAMS WOULD WANT TO COME? IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE?
Make Juarez safe again. Who wants to come all the way to El Paso if they can't go to Juarez to see the "real" Mexico?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Players being disappointed that they are going to Sun Bowl has nothing to do with Juarez.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Players being disappointed that they are going to Sun Bowl has nothing to do with Juarez.
I think it does because if the fans would want to come and watch the game, spend a few days here, the players would find it less disappointing.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 AM

The players want to overachieve. Athletes want to play championships. Teams do not care about the local politics in a third place bowl. Whichever team's fans end up traveling to El Paso will already be disappointed before learning anything about the Juarez situation. Those fans wanted to go to a BCS bowl.

Yes, once they learn of the situation in Juarez, they might be disappointed they can't visit Mexico. But that is after the fact. The Juarez situation has absolutely nothing to do with any football team being disappointed they are playing in the Sun Bowl.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:03 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,273 times
Free beer. or maybe chicos tacos from all the hub bub I hear about those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso