Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:18 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the poster in another forum who brought this to my attention:

World's largest U.S. consulate opens across border from Fort Bliss

Quote:
The new $66 million, four-story facility will employ about 300 people. It includes 109 service windows where Mexican immigrant visas and American border crossing cards and travel documents will be processed. It is the largest U.S. consulate in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Good luck, even I won't play russian roulet and go to Juarez. And a 4 story builing at 66 million seems a bit steep considering the cheap labor.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:53 PM

49 posts, read 313,441 times
Ya know, it's funny....but I hear all these folks proclaiming loudly that they wouldn't visit Juarez today for any reason....and yet it STILL took me over an hour to come over the free bridge today. Maybe half the cars had Chih plates...the rest were TX & NM. SOMEBODY besides me is still going over to Juarez.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:19 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizlefrak View Post
Ya know, it's funny....but I hear all these folks proclaiming loudly that they wouldn't visit Juarez today for any reason....and yet it STILL took me over an hour to come over the free bridge today. Maybe half the cars had Chih plates...the rest were TX & NM. SOMEBODY besides me is still going over to Juarez.

I've heard from people at work (most are spanish) that even they stay away from there. So I figure being a redhead with freckles that maybe even I should stay away. But my boss who is white, his wife is an engineer for the auto industry and works in Juarez.

So go figure. I'd rather not just go over and find out and have my wife be husbandless with a mountain of bills to pay.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
I was born in Juarez, and I got to tell everyone that unless you got some business down there, STAY AWAY. I still have few (not much left) family there but I do not visit them at all when I am in EP, I just tell them to come visit me instead. When your long time Juarez friends you grew up with tell you that it's just not worth it anymore I listen.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Yeah but when I tell you, I get grief. Now look at off of you.. maybe Muhnay has an idea of what he is talking about after all.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:56 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
The new consulate isn't easy to get to - it's way out near Las Misiones mall.

las misiones mall, ciudad juarez, mexico - Google Maps

Old 12-06-2008, 11:54 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yeah but when I tell you, I get grief. Now look at off of you.. maybe Muhnay has an idea of what he is talking about after all.
Well I had never seen the level and type of violence that it's happening now. Juarez always had violent crime, but it used to be limited to drug activity, so if you were not in the business nobody messed with you (usually). Now I know that carjackings, robberies, kidnapings are increasing and becoming common place. Everyone is a potential victim/target now, since people know that they can Jack you and face little to no consequences because of the inept/corrupt police forces, and the broken justice system in Mexico.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 22,340 times
I understand, but what about driving through to go deeper into to chihuahua, would you go see your family if they we're further in and all you had to do was drive through Juarez? do you know of anyone who has been carjacked?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Well I had never seen the level and type of violence that it's happening now. Juarez always had violent crime, but it used to be limited to drug activity, so if you were not in the business nobody messed with you (usually). Now I know that carjackings, robberies, kidnapings are increasing and becoming common place. Everyone is a potential victim/target now, since people know that they can Jack you and face little to no consequences because of the inept/corrupt police forces, and the broken justice system in Mexico.
Did you read that they kidnapped the kidnapping expert from the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso