Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:49 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I think the best advice is Just dont go.. you can get what ever you need in DownTown El paso.. and heck its just like Juarez.. so you wont be missing anything. Just a lot safer... because your technically in America still.
LOL! That is good advice too.
Man o man I can't wait for downtown to get redeveloped..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,383,318 times
I have visited Juarez at least 100 times and never had any problems.
Just like El Paso, it really needs more attractions

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 PM

639 posts, read 1,042,697 times
If I had out of town guest, my worst fear is if they ask me to take them to Juarez!!!
I think it's anyones business if they go there or not, but I guess if even now the very same people that one use to fear the most (Juarez cops) are telling people that it's a no mans land, that means they lost their own grip on power of abuse.

Times have really changed that even the better Juarez restaurants have opened up in El Paso and Homeland Security which dont understand border issues has made it even tougher to come back across the border not to mention that the drug cartels have made it tougher to want to visit Juarez.

Not until Mexico cleans up it's act, I recomend to Google Earth Juarez instead, it's alot safer than going there.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
I think it's still okay to park your car on this side, walk over the downtown bridges -- just down a block or two or maybe to the central market or cathedral -- in the day or early evening. There are a number of shops and dining places.

But it's true that El Paso is so much like Mexico in many parts there's really no more need to ever go to Mexico.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 PM

You need to be more specific when you say El Paso is much like Mexico, I would say that maybe almost everything south of interstate 10 resembles parts of Mexico since it is right on the border with it, but you look at the Northeast side the Westside, East El Paso and far East El Paso they all look pretty American to me, as in culture and influence it is and always will be dominated by the Mexicans of either side of the border, so people will have to adjust to it or move on, on the political front it dont matter who you are and of what enicity, people will still vote for you regardless, their are no racial barriers there until you reach city hall politics.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
as in culture and influence it is and always will be dominated by the Mexicans of either side of the border, so people will have to adjust to it or move on,
To be more specific -- exactly what you said. This is a Mexican town. So much so that there really isn't much need anymore in taking people to Juarez.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:46 AM

People still want to go to Juarez regardless, because they want to say afterwards,( I WENT TO MEXICO) this is mostly out of towners and or tourist that have that desire to set foot in a foreign land.

As for a Mexican town: YOU BET! better a Mexican town than a African town for all I care, I once was told that a great percentage of people from Juarez moved right accross the border into El Paso, and that their absense from Juarez was replaced by people from the interior of Mexico and from Cental America.

Also Mexicans on both sides of the border are busy breeders, some for the better and others for the worst.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 PM

91 posts, read 389,475 times
I recall many years ago when I was stationed there, in the Air Force, we were bar hopping in Juarez, and one of my fellow airman decided to leap-frog over a parking meter
and the police grabbed him and told him what he did was illegal, and was going to haul him to jail,(you do not want to go to jail in Juarez). The police offiicer said there is jail time plus a fine, if you pay me xx amount i will let you go. It was a scarry time, he gave the police officer all the money he had, and we had to kick in some also. We did have a great time up to that incident. Listen to EnjoyEp you will be o.k. I live in MN now and like that area so much, my wife and I are retiring in the EP area. laplander

Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM

I guess they dont pratice that "mordida" (bribe) stuff anymore Juarez cops are busy looking over their shoulders nowadays due to heavily armed drug cartells that they probably forgot about the trade of the bribes.

When we got into trouble there we offer them more money than what they had already fined us, turns out we came out short so they wanted to book everybody instead, but we droped to our knees and pleaded for mercy of the law.

It worked,they actually let us go.......

Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,407 times
I think that most people are to caustious about it. But that being said here is my stupid teenage decision. I was 18 and stupid, got drunk in the bars, got lost, and some mexican school teacher gave us a ride back to el paso at 2am. I look back at that night an wonder how i didnt get murdered that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso