Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM

26 posts, read 87,639 times

Advertisements

I've been following the news about Southwest's new code share agreement with Volaris, a low fare Mexican airline. I was just wondering if anyone had ever flown Volaris or if any of the El Paso locals had heard about Volaris possibly starting new service at ELP?

I've looked at Volaris' route map and EP/Juarez seems like the largest metro they don't already fly to. After reading statements made by SWA officials, it seems that Volaris would be opening new routes to cities up here in the States that already offer decent coverage from Southwest to effectuate the ability for the two to code share.

I know El Paso isn't as big a hub for Southwest as Las Vegas, Phoenix, or San Antonio, but I would think El Paso would be seriously considered since it is such a large area that is currently unserved. Anyway, it'd be nice to have the option of driving over to ELP and hoping on a cheap flight to head somewhere south....

Last edited by Bo; 01-12-2009 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Updated title to keep the thread focused on El Paso. Start a thread in the Texas forum to discuss other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
No Tiger I have not.. sorry. The Air Port here was loosing some carriers due to the high price of fuel. SouthWest is one of the staples of our Air Port.. so I would guess they would get some also considering we are right next to the country.

But our Air Port is expanding and building onto its self. SO thats good news.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Thumbs up Good news

Volaris is somewhat the equivalent of Southwest Airlines in Mexico, however, it is not independent, it is the low fare airline of Mexicana Airlines, it's parent company. Southwest has fired a shot across the bow of Continental Airlines who to this day has a stranglehold on the market share for Latin America.

Though I am a loyal Platinum frequent flyer with Continental, I welcome the competition into Mexico, which is what Southwest is attempting to do. Continental has been good, but over the last few years has become arrogant of it's position into Latin America, especially Mexico. Sometimes their fares did not make sense other than to say to customers 'if you don't like it, drive'.

I expect to see price wars once service is fully operational, look for cheap fares from hub cities, we shall benefit greatly. Especially here in Houston.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,269 times
It's just not practical for Mexican airlines to serve ELP. Juarez's airport serves most of the major airlines in Mexico and is only about 15 miles or less from El Paso intl. That is why Aerolitoral discontinued service.
I see Volaris serving Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Tucson, Phoenix, LAX, and Juarez before they serve El Paso

Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
AFAIK El Paso International Airport has no international passenger flights. Adding a flight direct from Mexico would require CBP agents posted in the terminal to screen arrivals. It wouldn't be very cost effecttive for only a couple of flights per day.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
AFAIK El Paso International Airport has no international passenger flights. Adding a flight direct from Mexico would require CBP agents posted in the terminal to screen arrivals. It wouldn't be very cost effecttive for only a couple of flights per day.
The El Paso Airport in fact has several international flights, you just are not aware of them, they are not advertised, and some are private jets. And there are Immigration and Customs agents at the airport; they may not be present all day, but someone is usually there, or on call, it is a requirement. Usually the FBO, or pilot will have made their flight plans known, and the airport knows when the agents need to be present.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
CBP agents are at the airport 24/7, not because of commercial service, but because of private planes coming internationally, so CBP would not be a problem.
This is true in every Airport with an International title, including Las Cruces International Airport

Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Are they based in the passenger terminal or are they based by the air cargo buildings ...or by the general aviation hangars along Montana?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Are they based in the passenger terminal or are they based by the air cargo buildings ...or by the general aviation hangars along Montana?
There is a US Customs building by the NASA Hangars and another Customs station in the actual Terminal for Gates A3 and A4

Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM

26 posts, read 87,639 times
The Volaris/Southwest agreement basically says that Volaris would be the airline expanding its service into the other country by introducing service to cities already serviced by Southwest. So if Volaris comes to the Borderland, it'll be at ELP and not Juarez.

Obviously its still probably a longshot, but it wouldn't make sense for them to introduce service to Juarez and then have to deal with buses to charter any "through" passengers over to ELP to hop on a connecting Southwest flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso