Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
yea well I guess im just scared! he he. Well, if you look up the BAH rates, for our rank and dependents it has Fort Bliss at 1054. Im *hoping* thats right, but all the other rates are right too so I don't know why Bliss would be the only one incorrect. I was surprised too at the difference in housing, but my husband also got promoted since then ~ so that could be part of it.

I didn't know Fort Bliss was considered a backwards post lol. Course I don't ever hear ANYTHING about it, and if it was a great one, like Lewis, or Carson, then I suppose I would have heard about it.

Im still nervous and scared. No one wants to know that where they are going is a horrible place ~ and thats the "feeling" I get from posters. So I really like reading the positive ones LOL.

thanks again ~

mrsrobinson.....unless you really hate the desert.......no need to be scared of el paso. Just keep in mind it's a city in the desert just like tucson or phoenix, arizona. It gets little rain and humidity and for some that's a problem especially from the east coast or the deep south as i can totally understand as all my family are from south carolina and georgia so i know the ocean and swamps well .

But many also like not seeing rain and drizzle and/or snow as the sky is always sunny and blue as that allows many to enjoy the outdoors whether it's swimming in pools, biking, hiking or enjoying time at the parks.

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,412 times
May I ask where are u coming from?
I think that also matters alot of the time.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:03 AM

479 posts, read 1,293,826 times
Well, we are at this moment in Germany ~ but I hail from the pacific northwest. Lots of rain, low humidity and lots of green trees, rivers and grass he he. How ever, I was born and raised in Alamogordo for the first half of my life ~ so I am no stranger to the desert. I prefer the redwoods of northern california ~ so yes I think that its going to be an "adjustment' for me ~ but my BFF lives in cloudcroft ~ so atleast I can escape to the mountains when i need to.

I just get this depressed feeling hearing sooo many negatives about El Paso. Granted its mostly from the same people ~ and it seems people are clearly diveded on the issue. But as one who has lived in MANY MANY PLACES over my life, its intriguing to me that everywhere i've EVER lived, some people hate that place and have nothing but negative things to say about it. Some people love it. So, I know that some people are not going to like El Paso :0) But it appears that some really do.

What im really interested in, is if were going to have a "decent" level of life ~ being in the military and having a military income and all. Thanks so much for the Info guys :0) Keep it comin

Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 AM

Muhnay ~~ did you have a chance to dispute me on the BAH rates for El Paso yet? Im just curiuos b/c as far as i can tell, I was correct about that. But if I'm wrong I want to know! Since I am trying to plan as much as possible.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 AM

What is your rank?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 AM

LOL I had to go ask him.......he's an E6 with 15 years in service

Old 01-21-2009, 11:30 AM

270 posts, read 626,234 times
Mrs Robinson, dont let all this discussion about El Paso cause you any hesitation. FT Bliss has a lot for the families to do and is very family friendly. And El Paso has its own uniqueness. Visit the FT Bliss MWR site. Coming from Germany, I would think you would welcome some warmth! Had two tours there myself and I wish someone had told me about FT Bliss. I am retired military, I moved here because of the military and VA facilities, weather, cost of living, food and taxes, although rising, are low. New military housing being built, however, civilian housing is much cheaper than most places. I think your husband will enjoy his assignment, you and the children will love the year round summer. Invest in a good grill and more summer clothing.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Don't get me wrong. El Paso is not all bad, and you have no reason to fear a transfer here. In many ways with all the changes, you should be more excited to be coming here.

Only fear I have now is Mexico, and its Collapse. But hey we have a military base with many armed troops. They will make short work of any dumb-ass Cartel who tries to make El Paso its new stomping ground.

I have not had a chance yet. I would trust your source for now, and let us know when you get here. I have been wrong before.. and if I am, I am glad in this case. Because the cost of living here is rather low, but rents have gone way up with the many greedy landlords trying to cash in on the big move in troops to Fort Bliss. You will need the higher BAH to help rent off post. But with all the new homes, and only E6 you may get lucky and find a nice house on post... even though I always hated living on post. =)

Welcome to Fort Bliss. Its is a changing, many new things being added.. it is an exciting time to be a soldier at Fort Bliss.. or so the sign tells me. DONT FEAR IT! Enjoy it.. after all its an adventure. =)

Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Muhnay.......will they build enough housing and barracks out on Bliss for all the new troops coming in over the next several years or will they take all the apts around town etc...

Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM

If you are a E6,you should be able to find a nice place to live.
The have some new homes on post that are nice plus you do not have to worry about tra.
I do not know what the waiting list is right now for E6.

We live on biggs field in new housing been here a year and it is not to bad.

Bliss is not the best base there is but I have seen much worse.
same goes for el paso.

People are nice for the most part if you smile at them,they smile back.
Ilove the food but a year later that gets old.
I want seafood but that is noone fault.

I do not like wbmc it takes like a week to get in to see a dr. and most of them suck.

I like water so el paso is not the place I would want to retire but if you are here for only a couple of years than everything should be ok.

you should be fine.good luck and keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso