Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 AM

730 posts, read 1,894,896 times

Advertisements

Yes, it can be. But homes on the Westside cost the same or more. Even though homes in Kern can be smaller, they have more curb appeal and are not subdivision looking. We actually looked to buy a home there, but couldn't find one when we moved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
Kern place must be on the pricey side then? Thanks for the tip I'm going to see if i can find out about on average how much the homes there are costing. Thanks again for all the help/replies!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 03:30 PM

479 posts, read 1,293,826 times
Thanks for the tip Caltep. From what I hear Kern Place sounds like what I'm looking for ~ ofcourse I prolly can't afford it :0) But I am not a huge fan of subdivisions......... thanks for the info!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 AM

28 posts, read 92,736 times
Quote:
wouldn't the additional troops help boost the economy even just a little? I mean, that many troops are going to need places to live, stores to shop at, and mexican food to buy??? Especially troops coming from Germany as there is NO shopping here at all and believe me the woman are just ready to shop at walmart, target, and MALLS.............. would that not help the economy at all?
I am a military wife as well (12 yrs) and I am also from El Paso. I read your past posts about El Paso. Well as far as BAH you are pretty correct on the amount and it is a good amount for El Paso. We came in 2002 and ended up buying a new home and our mortgage is a little over $900. But if your looking to rent you can find a nice home for under $1000 depending on size, and my home is a four bedroom. I chose to live on the far eastside which I love. Fort Bliss is a good post, compared to past post we have been at. It is growing like crazy, but I must say I mostly shop in El Paso for a better selection. El Paso is not a bad city, people either love it or hate it it seems. The job market is not the greatest but right now I am a full time student and I do not work at the moment so that has not been as issue for me. My husbands income is quite good for El Paso and we live well. I do agree with all the families coming to El Paso it will help keep the economy going. Many families are buying homes here, which are not priced too high and are easy to qualify for being military with the VA loan. But overall do not be scared it is not so bad. I spent three years in Alaska and that was quite an experience. There are many places to shop and even an Outlet Mall, love the Coach store by the way. As you arrive you will see the expansion of the new East Fort Bliss in progress.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 29,551 times
Mrs. Robinson,

Welcome to El Paso. I don't read the post alot about here because it's truly what you make of it. We are in the desert, with that being said it is extremely hot here during the summer. In most cases it can easily get up to 100 + degrees. The good thing is that there is little to no humidty so you don't having to worry about sweating too much here.

We are far from many things that you may be used to but that is what road trips are for or airplanes. I have been here for 5 yrs and I really like it. I didn't like it at first and yes it will be an extremely culture shock. I would not recommend going to Mexico right now because of all the fighting but can't wait until that is over.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 AM

thanks so much for posting ladies! What you have to say is really encouraging. I know it will be a culture shock, but, I think we will like it. We've lived in Alamogordo NM before and it can't be much different other than a lot bigger. THANKS for the kind words, I can't wait to get there!!!!! Were house shopping now, and its so exciting!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:33 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,362 times
Quote:
yea well I guess im just scared! he he. Well, if you look up the BAH rates, for our rank and dependents it has Fort Bliss at 1054. Im *hoping* thats right, but all the other rates are right too so I don't know why Bliss would be the only one incorrect. I was surprised too at the difference in housing, but my husband also got promoted since then ~ so that could be part of it.

I didn't know Fort Bliss was considered a backwards post lol. Course I don't ever hear ANYTHING about it, and if it was a great one, like Lewis, or Carson, then I suppose I would have heard about it.

Im still nervous and scared. No one wants to know that where they are going is a horrible place ~ and thats the "feeling" I get from posters. So I really like reading the positive ones LOL.

thanks again ~
Stop whining....El Paso is a hometown...all of my immediate family lives there and I can NT wait to visit again...IT is a great place to live..and I envy anyone that will live there anytime soon!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM

730 posts, read 1,894,896 times
Default Why?

Why do you need to throw in some asinine comments like "Stop whining". Your ELP pride/attitude gets in the way of any positive thing you may have to say about this city. Geez, the person hasn't even lived here yet and you're going after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
Stop whining....El Paso is a hometown...all of my immediate family lives there and I can NT wait to visit again...IT is a great place to live..and I envy anyone that will live there anytime soon!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,412 times
Lol:d:d:d

Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM

270 posts, read 626,234 times
Mrs Robinson, My father was career and so was I. I was never stationed at FT Bliss, now that I have seen it, it is much better than many posts and wish I had come sooner. It's really about what you like in a town. Heck if I had been stationed in Alaska, I probably wouldnt have liked it and some people just LOVE it. Could FT Bliss use some improvements, what military installation couldnt. I found over the years that people that hate a particular post, hated their hometown and still hate wherever they go. The last duty station was always better, I know you have run into those types. You will enjoy this place, my son is in the Wounded Warrior unit and they take good care of him. Does he run into bumps, of course, nothing is perfect. Judge for yourself and stay away from the complainers, as the saying goes, misery loves company.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
Im not whining. I have asked valid questions, thank you very much But go ahead and envy me since i'll be living there soon

caltep and luplor ~ thanks :0) Im actually getting really excited and we are already searching for houses! Its just hard b/c we are overseas right now and I will have to fly to el paso to come buy a house while DH stays here with the kids..............so im doing my homework and trying to get ALL my ducks in a row.

Can anyone tell me.....................is Horizon a bad area? A lot of the houses my realtor is sending are from that area, and look nice on the pictures, but im not familiar with that area. Im only going to have about 3 or 4 days tops to come put in an offer on a house (and thats flying from germany too ugh not lookin foward to that) and i want to have a better idea of what area to concentrate on.

Im going to ask my agent too, but im not sure they are allowed to tell you the "good parts" or what ever.................as in their opinons

THANKS ALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso