Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times

Advertisements

Black widows usually hide in dark cool places. Just dont go sticking your hand in places where you should not. If you go hiking...watch where your step.

We used catch the black widows and find a mound of black or red ants. We would drop that b**tch in there and watch a small scale battle of the titans. She would take out some ants but eventually would get overrun. All we needed to complete the moment was to hear the music from "Platoon"...you know when that guy was trying to get to the helicopter while being chased by the Viet Cong.

Last summer in my drive way I saw a some fire ants attack some carpenter ants. It was the coolest thing ever. Those little fire ants took out those bigger ants in a few seconds. They left those guys twitching and running in circles until they died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:25 AM

756 posts, read 2,000,031 times
I do not think you have to worry about anything in your home.
I have had my home and yard sprayed 3 times since I was bite and not once was there anything in the house.
He found some spiders under my porch in my back yard.
he also found a huge one in the front but nothing in the home.

so I think the kids will be fine on the floor.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
The probability and danger is about the same or less as getting stung by a bee.

You shouldn't worry about your kids playing on the floor.
You will get more problems the closer to the desert or higher up the mountain you go. Older neighborhoods have fewer problems & you're not likely to see any rattlesnakes. We had the occasional scorpion in the house until we started spraying, inside and out, about 3 times a year. In 4 years I have only seen 2 tarantulas & 2 centipedes - outside at night.

We do have 'carpenter' bees - big black bumble bees that drill holes in trees to lay their eggs. They look aggressive but have never bothered me. The female does all the work and has a stinger while the male is harmless but flies around acting macho and tough.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
We have our home sprayed about every six weeks...we have found some scorpions in the house, tarantula and centipedes outside. But I understand scorpions are all over TX including Dallas (saw that on TXCN). Haven't seen a scorpion in a long time and most have been pretty small. Whoever said if you have a dog or cat and they willl sense it first is right...our dog would follow them across the kitchen. Then BANG! Flip-flop scorpion road kill.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 PM

479 posts, read 1,294,445 times
Quote:
The probability and danger is about the same or less as getting stung by a bee.
eeks I hope its more like less! Bee stings aren't that rare. Atleast not where I'm at, maybe they are less rare in El Paso? If so thats a good thing.

Thank you ALL for being so helpful! I just wanted to know what to expect. thanks again!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Their is black widows,scorpions,centipedes, alot of daddy longlegs spiders, i remember in chaparral one year, we were popping fireworks and their was like 20 to 30 tarantulas all over my uncles house, i guess they got scared because of all the loud bangs!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:40 PM

479 posts, read 1,294,445 times
IN HIS HOUSE? OR OUTSIDE? AND WOW 20 - 30 THAT HAD TO BE A SIGHT TO SEE! wowsa!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Outside coming out of from the ground and the bushes, my grandpa got like 10 of them and was tying black jacks to them and blowing them up, not proud of that, but it was funny, you could actually hear them "cry" or ""scream" when they would blow up!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:42 PM

430 posts, read 1,339,932 times
Be wary of Brown Recluse Spiders. Those are nasty. If bit seek care. I have seen the damage that has been done and how the skin just died and left a huge hole. Not pretty.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:07 AM

51 posts, read 134,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Be wary of Brown Recluse Spiders. Those are nasty. If bit seek care. I have seen the damage that has been done and how the skin just died and left a huge hole. Not pretty.
Are the Brown Recluse really active in EP? Is a Tarantula dangerous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso