Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,325 times

Advertisements

My husband has received a job offer in NE EP. We'll be making our final decision soon, but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some specific neighborhoods to look in (or avoid completely!) for someone who will be working in the Diana at Dyer area? We really need at least 3 bedrooms (3 kids, 11, 3 and 3) and really don't want to pay more than $800 or so on a rental in case we decide to try to save up to buy a home.

Any recommendations for how to look for housing (rental, not apartments) in those areas? I'd prefer to be closer to work rather than farther, as we'll only have one vehicle to start when we move, and it's looking like EP doesn't have the best public transportation set up? I have looked for rentals through hotpads.com, where you can pull up a map, but since I'm not sure of neighborhoods (and it's possible that the properties there are more expensive than the rest of the area? That seems true when I look at our own current city and other areas I know well) it doesn't really help me. I know that his business would be close to what I've seen you guys call the Devil's Triangle, and I'm thinking that probably isn't where we want to be.

I'll say hello, and I'll have several more questions, I'm sure, but they're so different than this, I'll probably go with a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 AM

507 posts, read 1,659,684 times
The only neighvorhood i advise you to stay out of in NE El Paso is the Devil's triangle, which is the neighborhood bordered by Hondo Pass Dr, Dyer St, and US-54. Other than that i forsee no problem staying anywhere else.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Not sure who else is from NE El Paso since i don't see muhnay on here so i'll give it a shot.

Cajungrl....the devils triangle is basically around the Dyer st and the Patriot freeway area as i'd stay away from there. Also not far from where you'll work at Diana and Dyer the Northpark Mall and Irvin high area is also not great from when i lived there.

You might want to explore the Raintree apts on 9550 Dyer as i checked them out in august 08 and i'd classify them as ''middle in the road'' as not high class but not low income either.

There''s also apartment complexes on Transmountain Rd, Fairbanks Dr and McCombs St. in northeast and also there is an apartment building boom all over northeast because of the Ft. Bliss expansion.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,339,691 times
Between Hondo Pass and Diana is a neighborhood called Castner Heights. It a very good neighborhood. The elementary school (Whitaker) is smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood and is excellent! In the neighborhood, just avoid living on Maureen Circle or Gabriel. All other streets are good. Especially all those on the other side of Stahala and also those on the other side of Rutherford. I pay $800 for my house in that area.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Castner Heights is good.

North Hills is good.

There are new houses being built near the Angora Loop area (called the Mesquites).

You really can't go wrong with anything north of Transmountain as well.

Are you moving from another town? You really do not have to live in the NE just because your husband works there.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,325 times
Thanks for the info so far!

I'd have never thought to look at the Castner Heights because of its proximity to Devil's Triangle. Thanks for the info!!

Yes, we would actually be moving from Louisiana; neither of us has ever been to El Paso. So we're really, REALLY swinging blind here. And because of the nature of my husband's work, and the fact that we have one vehicle, it's probably best that we're as close to work as possible. Not next door or anything, but within 10-15 minutes (even in traffic, which from what I understand, pretty much cuts out the west side and probably central, correct?)

Old 01-28-2009, 02:09 PM

430 posts, read 1,339,691 times
Although it is close to the the Triangle, Castner Heights is a world of it's own. The residents have made sure that there is a separation and there hasn't been any problems. I've lived there for over 20 years. And part of those years were the gang years where drive-by's were rampant and schools were always on lock down. The neighborhood didn't have any problems. The Neighborhood Association is pretty active. The have meetings and BBQ's so you can meet your neighbors. There is quite a bit of military, FD, and PD in the neighborhood.
I hear that North Hills is nice too! I figured if I left Castners then I would head over there.

My mom had told me a story that when my dad got stationed here they were flying in from N.C. and she looked out the window and hit him. She asked "Where the hell have you brought me." Granted back then there was pretty much only desert.

Last edited by alucard; 01-28-2009 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post

There are new houses being built near the Angora Loop area (called the Mesquites).
Where about is this at Mista......

Old 01-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Between Hondo Pass and Diana is a neighborhood called Castner Heights. It a very good neighborhood. The elementary school (Whitaker) is smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood and is excellent! In the neighborhood, just avoid living on Maureen Circle or Gabriel. All other streets are good. Especially all those on the other side of Stahala and also those on the other side of Rutherford. I pay $800 for my house in that area.
Alucard.....have they started the new hotel over in that area i think by Hondo Pass and the Patriot?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:02 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Where about is this at Mista......
North past Angora Loop and Tiger Eye. The Mesquites are directly off Dyer. They just paved a road, Mesquite Hills I believe, that connects that neighborhood to US54.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso