Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

El Paso, Texas information needed: special needs child school options, school districts, teacher and parent perspective, Mexican culture, restaurants, disability training

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 26,647 times

Advertisements

OK I am looking for information about El Paso. I know that the weather is great, there is wonderful Mexican food, and the job market is not what is should be for the size of city. However I am considering a move there. Why? Cause I am tired to cold weather, and no culture in my life. What am concerned about is the Schools! I have a special needs kid and I don't want him to suffer cause I need something more in my life. Tell me something about the schools there and if there is anybody who has a special needs child in school there your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM

61 posts, read 281,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnuthead View Post
OK I am looking for information about El Paso. I know that the weather is great, there is wonderful Mexican food, and the job market is not what is should be for the size of city. However I am considering a move there. Why? Cause I am tired to cold weather, and no culture in my life. What am concerned about is the Schools! I have a special needs kid and I don't want him to suffer cause I need something more in my life. Tell me something about the schools there and if there is anybody who has a special needs child in school there your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Chestnut,

I can only answer your question in a general sense, as I don't have experience with your particular issue, and I know that the needs of your child might vary from the needs of others.

Generally speaking, the school districts (there are more than one) here are considered up to par with others. I know that El Paso Independent addresses the special needs issues (at least in some cases) by utilizing "inclusion" classes. Depending on your opinion about this pedagogical technique, that may be a plus or a minus.

Some feel that students with special needs should be taught alongside everyone else, while others feel that special attention is warranted. A friend of mine teaches high school here, and if I'm not mistaken her inclusion classes integrate a special needs assistant.

That's all I can say on the matter. Maybe teachers or parents of a student can provide their perspectives. Meanwhile, here are URL's for some local districts:

www.episd.org

www.yisd.net

www.sisd.net

www.canutillo.k12.tx.us (broken link)

Good luck with your decision,
-eplifestyle

Old 03-24-2007, 11:56 PM

13 posts, read 104,752 times
ew, i hate el paso weather. a little heat is fine, but 105 degree weather throughout a greater part of the summer? count me out. oh wait, i CAN'T get out. not until college, which i'm praying won't be UTEP.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 AM
jfe

61 posts, read 283,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky View Post
ew, i hate el paso weather. a little heat is fine, but 105 degree weather throughout a greater part of the summer? count me out. oh wait, i CAN'T get out. not until college, which i'm praying won't be UTEP.
Try spending the winter in Detroit, that will make you appreciate the El Paso weather

I love the weather, but the windy season is nothing compared to the mess that is winter in Detroit

Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Quote:
Lucy -

I have to second what jfe said. I know that you stated in another post you've only lived in El Paso (and are not quite to college)...I know EP's weather isn't perfect, as most places in the world are not, but I am telling you, you have nooooo idea how good you've got it weather-wise in EP.

Yep, it can get a little hot in the summer, however, unlike parts of east and south Texas, at least it cools off somewhat in the evenings due to the altitude and desert clime. Also, while cliched, at least it is a dry heat and EP doesn't suffer from the misery that is humidty, mosquitoes, etc., in the summer. And while toasty for sure, at least it isn't the extremes of heat in Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas NV, etc. (110-115 degrees!).

But even then, the great thing about El Paso is the summer is some of its WORST weather, in my opinion, due to the heat. Springs start very early in EP, and falls go very late. Winters happen, but are mild and brief.

I will give you this example - I was in EP in late February for a few days. Every day I was there, it was between 65 and 75 degrees for highs...in my old homeland of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, it didn't get above ZERO the whole time! So take the heat...believe me...the looonnnggg winters are far worse!

(And EP - the Sun City - how can you beat that sun. So many places in the U.S. get so cloudy and gray for months on end...that sun is not something to take for granted!)...

Old 03-29-2007, 12:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I don't think you can beat the weather of El Paso. The schools leave a lot to be desired -- but I think the needs of special needs children are generally met. If you like Mexican food -- this is a good place to be because that's about all there is -- some fast food places and nothing else but Mexican food.

I've known people who had kids with special needs and they were satisfied -- except they said there's a problem for special needs adults -- so depending on the disability I guess.

The weather is almost second to none I think. Never very cold, and only hot for a short time.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,728 times
I live in el paso now and I am sorry that this was written so long ago. There IS NO REAL inclusion in EPISD. They do NOT want our special needs children in the regular classroom if they need any type of modifications or accommodations. They do NOT comply with IDEA or FAPE, no matter what is stated or said. They will ONLY include if your child needs NO help of any kind. Otherwise, they lump them all into AIM classes, include a little in music or whatever they have to in order to appease parents trying to help their children.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,466 times
Quote:
People like this wouldn't even make it through the winter up in the north where i've been before , This weather is actually pretty good and you can wear anything you want without having to wear a 10 ton winter jacket!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFrenzy View Post
People like this wouldn't even make it through the winter up in the north where i've been before , This weather is actually pretty good and you can wear anything you want without having to wear a 10 ton winter jacket!
You northern people are funny Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Snow is great in my opinion and the cold too. But then again I'm from Puerto Rico where temps below 75 never happens (at and near sea level).

Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 AM

130 posts, read 322,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymomof3 View Post
I live in el paso now and I am sorry that this was written so long ago. There IS NO REAL inclusion in EPISD. They do NOT want our special needs children in the regular classroom if they need any type of modifications or accommodations. They do NOT comply with IDEA or FAPE, no matter what is stated or said. They will ONLY include if your child needs NO help of any kind. Otherwise, they lump them all into AIM classes, include a little in music or whatever they have to in order to appease parents trying to help their children.
Can you clarify what the acronyms are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso