Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 PM

37 posts, read 69,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Apparently the appeal prevents the city from collecting the judgement but does not dispute that she owes the money.

City opinion: Rep. Castro cannot take office if elected - Newspaper Tree El Paso

http://newspapertree.com/system/news...lity_Issue.pdf
Per your referenced article:

The City Charter, section 2.2 (B), states:
B. Indebtedness: Financial Disclosure.
1. No person shall be eligible for any elective office who, at the time of taking office, whether by virtue of election or appointment, is indebted to the City in any sum of money on judgment, contract or valid tax levy or assessment.

Chris Borunda, a lawyer who is representing the city, said "the judgment is still the judgment -- that (City Charter) is an issue that would have to be resolved."
Luther Jones, who has served as one of Castro's lawyers in the case -- her lead lawyer is John Mobbs, and Doris Sipes also has signed motions on her behalf -- said he thinks the appeal suspends the judgment as applied to the City Charter provision.
"Ms. Castro is not presently indebted to the City of El Paso in any amount," he said. "The Judgment for Attorney fees is on appeal and therefore not enforceable at the present time, thus Ms. Castro is not presently indebted to the City and therefore the Charter provision you have cited is not applicable to this present set of circumstances."
Borunda said a party with standing -- such as an opposing candidate or one of her constituents -- would have to pursue the issue.
As for Castro's appeal, Borunda said the parties still are waiting for an appeal court to set a date for oral arguments.
Until the final ruling, she is not indebted to the city and is in no way a crook.Legalities are legalities any way you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:06 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,967,321 times
The section in red above is a comment by Castro's lawyer - not a ruling.
I am not a lawyer but the city attorney cites case law to support his position in the PDF I referenced above.
I'll let the high priced talent battle it out and add to city expenditures & my taxes.
Popcorn?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C. View Post
Per your referenced article:

The City Charter, section 2.2 (B), states:
B. Indebtedness: Financial Disclosure.
1. No person shall be eligible for any elective office who, at the time of taking office, whether by virtue of election or appointment, is indebted to the City in any sum of money on judgment, contract or valid tax levy or assessment.

Chris Borunda, a lawyer who is representing the city, said "the judgment is still the judgment -- that (City Charter) is an issue that would have to be resolved."
Luther Jones, who has served as one of Castro's lawyers in the case -- her lead lawyer is John Mobbs, and Doris Sipes also has signed motions on her behalf -- said he thinks the appeal suspends the judgment as applied to the City Charter provision.
"Ms. Castro is not presently indebted to the City of El Paso in any amount," he said. "The Judgment for Attorney fees is on appeal and therefore not enforceable at the present time, thus Ms. Castro is not presently indebted to the City and therefore the Charter provision you have cited is not applicable to this present set of circumstances."
Borunda said a party with standing -- such as an opposing candidate or one of her constituents -- would have to pursue the issue.
As for Castro's appeal, Borunda said the parties still are waiting for an appeal court to set a date for oral arguments.
Until the final ruling, she is not indebted to the city and is in no way a crook.Legalities are legalities any way you look at it.
I'm curious ''Ken C'' as to why you are going so ''overboard'' here to print out City Charter statutes etc and yet you claim to be a lowly ''concerned'' voter in a simple city council race. No not the mayor's race which will have more of an effect of the city and your day to day life but a city council race .

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 04-30-2009 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Changed Around - 6/3

Old 04-30-2009, 08:26 AM

430 posts, read 1,342,187 times
Like TO said.......I got my popcorn ready. LOL!
I'm finding this all very interesting. You know, not too long ago my parents were talking to her and my mom had mentioned certain accusations that were being made against Castro. Castro actually told my mom that people were just jealous and looking for anything to discredit her. She stated she wasn't worried because she will be elected again. She wouldn't even actually address any of the issues. She lost my folks vote.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 AM

507 posts, read 1,662,350 times
[see comment]
You are taking Ms. Castro's side too seriously! [see comment]

The fact of the matter is, I talked to alot of people in the Northeast and just about all of them are not fond of Melinda Castro.
She's not winning next election. Believe that.

Last edited by Bo; 05-02-2009 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: We discussed this via DM.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I'm curious ''Ken C'' as to why you are going so ''overboard'' here to print out City Charter statutes etc and yet you claim to be a lowly ''concerned'' voter in a simple city council race. No not the mayor's race which will have more of an effect of the city and your day to day life but a city council race .
I just thought this "dead" thread needed some life. I do this in other forums just to revitalize threads that interest me.
As to printing out anything, I just used the link provided by the poster I responded to.

In regards to Alucard's (dracula...cute) comment about his parent's encounter with Ms. Castro, I agree that she does so those things, but not without basis, she is only human after all.
She did not direct her comments towards any particular opponent though and I thought that showed class. If it was me, I'd be calling names and other unflattering remarks, but that's just me.
Have you seen the slate of candidates that are running against her? In yesterday's newspaper, there were several candidates for the various positions stating their positions on issues and only one other of Ms. Castro's opponents came across with any viable and reasonable replies on those issues poised before them.
I am just an ordinary "joe", but I do like to offer up my opinions for discussion without getting into flaming wars and accusing others of foul play. It makes for a lively forum don't you think?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The section in red above is a comment by Castro's lawyer - not a ruling.
I am not a lawyer but the city attorney cites case law to support his position in the PDF I referenced above.
I'll let the high priced talent battle it out and add to city expenditures & my taxes.
Popcorn?
Is that popcorn jalapeno flavored?......I luvvvvvvvvv spicey popcorn.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 AM

430 posts, read 1,342,187 times
Mine is lathered in butter. Got grease all over the keyboard.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
You are taking Ms. Castro's side too seriously!
The fact of the matter is, I talked to alot of people in the Northeast and just about all of them are not fond of Melinda Castro.
She's not winning next election. Believe that.

Talk about mudslinging. I'm merely siding with a candidate of my choice. Moderator cut: orphaned
I've actually only met her once, but have had several communications with her via e-mails and telephone conversations concerning issues that affect my area. In all those incidents she offered a timely reply as well as attempts and solutions to my questions and issues. Previous reps for my area offered little or no response in past endeavors on my part. That alone is enough cause for me to support her in her re-election bid.
Y'all can vote for whomever, but, from what I've read of the other candidates, they offer little in regards to making a difference for the NE area.

Last edited by Bo; 05-02-2009 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Updated quote to match original./Orphaned-the deleted portion was orphaned by the edits to the quoted post.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Mine is lathered in butter. Got grease all over the keyboard.
<--------------------------------drops off a supply of PC wipes to clean up your keyboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso