Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:26 PM

272 posts, read 1,062,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adotsondds View Post
I am a native Washingtonian, living back in the Seattle area...and cannot wait to leave...this time for good! I lived in Phoenix for a full year, 2 years ago and loved it...kicking myself for ever leaving! I have tried to move back, but even for a dentist the jobs are scarce. I have great job offers in Tucson and El Paso. Can anyone give me a comparison of one or hopefully both cities in relation to Phoenix? How much smaller? Safety? Housing? Direct Flights? Things to do-love hiking,biking,food,culture,outdoor living? Near by attractions? Ease of meeting people? Weather? Nearest body of water for boating? Nearest Winter skiing? These are a few of my ?...overall...Would you recommend it for a early-thirties professional woman? Thanks so much!
Well it depends on what you are looking for. You say that you have two great job offers in Tucson and El Paso so I will focus more on the two cities. Both metro areas have about the same population(Tucson 1 mill, Greater El Paso 925k) and growing. If feeling secure from crime is important to you than El Paso wins hands down. El Paso has consistently been rated the second or 3rd safest city over the last few years. El Paso usually averages about 14 murders per year while Tucson averages 55-60. As far as weather then El Paso also wins hands down since both cities' winter temperatures can average in the low 60's which is great. But Tucson's summers can be hellish while El Paso's although hot and with the eventual triple digit day are much more moderate. If you are into Mexican food then El Paso wins easily leaving Tucson in the dust. If you are into outdoor activities both cities offer plenty of hiking, biking and nearby water sports. El Paso is the only city in America where a big state park sits right in the middle of it. TPWD: Franklin Mountains State Park Wyler Aerial Tramway is the only tramway opened to the public in Texas. TPWD: Wyler Aerial Tramway There is also Hueco Tanks State Park where you will find people from all over the world enjoy rock climbing and misterious pictographs thousands of years old. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...s/hueco_tanks/

If you like fishing, boating or other water sports then Elephant Butte is only 1 hour 45 minutes north Discover Elephant Butte Lake, New Mexico
If you like skiing then I think El Paso has the edge since the renowned Ski Apache is only 2 hours north in nearby Ruidoso, New Mexico. Ski Apache in Ruidoso, New Mexico the best Ruidoso and New Mexico Skiing and Snowboarding The world famous Carlsbad Caverns are only 2 1/2 hours away. Carlsbad Caverns National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

As far as nightlife both cities are severely lacking when compared to Phoenix.

As far as cultural history and events El Paso has more of that than Tucson. There is the El Paso Mission Trail The Mission Trail Association El Paso Texas
with missions as old as the 16th century. El Paso is also home to one one of the biggest outdoor theaters in the western US in Viva El Paso VIVA! El Paso | Welcome

Last edited by usmc el paso; 02-12-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 PM

270 posts, read 626,349 times
MC, WTF, next vacation I take, I am getting you to arrange it for me. This is some good info.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 PM

272 posts, read 1,062,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
MC, WTF, next vacation I take, I am getting you to arrange it for me. This is some good info.
LOL. I wish we could put a sticky for all of the El Paso attractions since there are some people that say that there is nothing to do in our area. I would be willing to provide more than enough links.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, El Paso has much better weather than Phoenix or Tucson, which get really hot and El Paso does not, socially you'd be better off there than El Paso. El Paso is okay for families but not too good for singles unless like the above poster said, you're part of the Juarez elite, then it would be great.
Can anyone explain to me, what the Juarez elite is?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
You have to take into consideration the poster who said posted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: