Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:38 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times

Advertisements

You might want to live closer to campus - in the east-central area of town. Texas Tech/UMC/School of Medicine are at Alameda & Raynolds (i10& i54). Check out the rental section on trulia.com. There are some nice complexes on Viscount between i10 & Montwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanton25 View Post
HI,

I'll be moving to El Paso this upcoming summer for Medical School. I know everyone recommends the west side but does anyone know any good apartments that they can recommend to help narrow the search. Since I'll be a medical student, I don't want it to be too noisy or a place where it is known to have lots of parties. Any help is appreciated, thanks. I would also like to know everyone's opinion on the safety in El Paso.
It depends on how much traffic and driving you want to do. I don't think the west side would be good if you want to live close to the school.

The most risk normal people face in El Paso are the roads. We have a lot of deadly accidents, and don't drive a motorcycle if you want to be safe. The murder rate is not high, and it's almost all gang/cartel related or domestic violence. That's true of all neighborhoods here.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:56 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
I have to disagree with your statement regarding a lot of deadly accidents. They make the news or the local paper but El Paso doesn't have a lot. Also, check your source regarding the murder rate. I believe for 2010 we are still under 10 total murders. You said almost all are gang/cartel related or domestic violence. You are almost 100% wrong on that. I think your opinions are influencing your statements.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,122 times
I'm from Austin so I hope the change won't be too drastic. I would love to live super close to the Texas Tech Health Science Center but, the medical students I have talked to all told me to find housing on the west side since they say you will be closer to stores, mall, and its nicer. Overall, I just want a decent, quiet and peaceful place to live. And for the road safety issues, I'll just be super careful when I drive.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:47 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanton25 View Post
I'm from Austin so I hope the change won't be too drastic.
Oh, it's going to be drastic, IMO. I lived in Austin for 12 years and was born and raised in El Paso, so I have some experience to draw on. And I last lived in Austin 14+ years ago, and the traffic was MUCH MUCH worse than in El Paso, even then. While El Paso's has gotten worse too, you'll be wondering why people in El Paso complain so much about the "freeway gridlock." In fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard "gridlock" as a common term in El Paso. But freeway driving can be nerve wracking, nonetheless.

Other than that, the most drastic change will be culturally. While Austin has a much more eclectic ethnicity, El Paso is majority Hispanic. And the military presence in El Paso is another element not seen in Austin.

Whereas Austin is hot and humid, you'll find El Paso's pleasant evenings and much cooler nights a blessing.

As for apartments, I think that is going to depend largely on where you think is going to be most convenient for you and your needs. It shouldn't be too difficult to find an apt anywhere in town, depending on what your needs are. I much prefer the foothills area of the east side of the mountain to the same foothills locations on the west side.

Best of luck and welcome to the desert southwest!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I have to disagree with your statement regarding a lot of deadly accidents. They make the news or the local paper but El Paso doesn't have a lot. Also, check your source regarding the murder rate. I believe for 2010 we are still under 10 total murders. You said almost all are gang/cartel related or domestic violence. You are almost 100% wrong on that. I think your opinions are influencing your statements.
There are alot of deadly accidents here - just about every other day. Lots are DUI and motorcycles.

I didn't say the murder rate was high - but what murders there are are gang/cartel or domestic violence. Not many random killings here.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
El Paso is a safe city with a mainly suburban feel. As Malamute said, the rare violence/murder is gang-on-gang or domestic violence. I don't believe El Paso has a higher accident rate than elsewhere but it does seem to have more motorcycle accidents and more single-vehicle SUV rollovers. El Paso does have a high rate of uninsured motorists - I give old cars with Juarez plates extra room.

The apartment complexes advertise everywhere - including trulia.com, apartment.com etc. Use maps.google.com (Google Street View) & maps.bing.com (birds eye view) to get a more honest idea of the complex & the area.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
El Paso has under 10 murders for 2010?! That is awesome. Here in Houston some years it almost averages 10 murders every 2 weeks. To read that murder rate, I would consider El Paso very safe considering it's population is between 750,000-800,000 people. That is what I would personally call a very safe big city. I would recommend more people to move there just for the public safety aspects, let alone the beauty of the whole desrt southwest area.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There are alot of deadly accidents here - just about every other day. Lots are DUI and motorcycles.
I wont waste time debating what "alot" and "lots" are. That parts in bold are incorrect though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't say the murder rate was high - but what murders there are are gang/cartel or domestic violence. Not many random killings here.
I did not say you said the murder rate was high. I said you were incorrect about the type of murders. The murders in El Paso County are not gang or cartel related. You can say they are mostly domestic violence depending on how loosely you use the term domestic. But yeah, you were incorrect to include gang or cartel violence in regards to the few El Paso murders.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
As Malamute said, the rare violence/murder is gang-on-gang or domestic violence.
No, he is incorrect regarding the gang-on-gang part.

Quote:
"The situation in Juárez is being studied by the federal agencies, by the local agencies," Crimes Against Persons Lt. Alfred Lowe told ABC-7. "We look for signs of spillover so that we can intervene before it becomes a homicide."

Police say unlike Juárez, where drugs fuel most of the murders, El Paso's homicides are mostly cases of domestic violence.

El Paso Police have a clearing percentage of 96 percent, according to police officials.
Even the cases of domestic violence quoted above wouldn't fall into what people traditionally think of when they hear the term domestic violence (i.e husbands against wives).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso