Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times

Advertisements

Housing: Top 10 Most And Least Affordable Cities

Quote:
The National Association of Home Builders and Wells Fargo have put together an index of the most and least affordable metro areas. The index was created by calculating what percentage of a city's residents making the median income can afford a house in that city. Not too surprising — the Midwest offers a good value with Indianapolis topping the charts as the most affordable city in the US. New York, of course, is the least affordable, followed by San Francisco, which is no shock to anyone who has lived in, or even visited those two cities.
In order to qualify, each metro area had to have over 500,000 people.

Top 10 Least Affordable Cities
  1. New York City, NY
  2. San Francisco, CA
  3. Nassau/Suffolk Counties, NY
  4. Los Angeles, CA
  5. Miami, FL
  6. Santa Ana, Anaheim, Irvine, CA
  7. El Paso, TX
  8. Newark, NJ
  9. Honolulu, HI
  10. Seattle, WA
Top 10 Most Affordable Cities
  1. Indianapolis, IN
  2. Warren, Troy, Farmington Hills, MI
  3. Youngstown, Warren, Boardman, OH-PA
  4. Detroit, MI
  5. Grand Rapids, MI
  6. Syracuse, NY
  7. Dayton, OH
  8. Akron, OH
  9. Cleveland, OH
  10. Scranton, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Interesting.

El Paso actually has some of the best home prices in the nation still for a major sized city and the heating costs in the winter are next-to-nothing, so I consider it a terribly affordable place to potentially live.

However, I do see they were matching it up against median incomes, and incomes are in general lower in EP.

I tell you what though, if you do have a gig in EP where you are getting paid well, it is a helluva lot more affordable than many (most?) big/major sized cities in the US.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
Default I concur

My wife are making approximately the same combined income as we were in CA. Difference is in CA we couldn't afford a house and here we can and in a decent neighborhood as well. I'm sure folks unfamiliar with EP will see us in the same list as SF, LA, NYC and wonder why, especially if they research our home prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Interesting.

El Paso actually has some of the best home prices in the nation still for a major sized city and the heating costs in the winter are next-to-nothing, so I consider it a terribly affordable place to potentially live.

However, I do see they were matching it up against median incomes, and incomes are in general lower in EP.

I tell you what though, if you do have a gig in EP where you are getting paid well, it is a helluva lot more affordable than many (most?) big/major sized cities in the US.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,843 times
I'm no economist, but I gotta cast some doubt on the methodology here. I've lived in Miami and N.Y./N.J. area, and there is no way it costs as much to live in E.P. as it does in these other areas. In terms of housing and food prices, E.P. is far less expensive. Maybe on the property tax end of things, I can see how E.P. creeps up there, but even then there is no personal income tax in Texas, so who F'ing knows?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
On that list El Paso's median home price is $131,000 where all the other cities median home price is $300,000 and $400,000 a home so i'm a tad confused on this.

Big boost for housing affordability - Feb. 19, 2009

Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
But I think factoring in the median income makes it so. A $140,000 house here seems reasonable (or a bargain) to just about anyone across the U.S., especially if they make at least $50,000/year. But if your family income is maybe $20,000 or less/year (family of four), that $140,000 is a little less reachable as opposed to a family with $50,000. I don't think the study is saying this is comparing apples to apples, it's taking into account all the factors that make living in that specific area unaffordable. I will agree the cost of living in Miami or SF is not the same as EP. But as I said in my earlier post, if my combined income in the SF area cannot buy me a cr*** house and the same amount can get me a really good house, then there is your comparison. In fact, when I moved here, my salary was considerably less than my last CA salary (still sort of is) and we still managed to buy a house and maintain a similar standard of living. I'm probably less of an economist so this is my simplistic view.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM

60 posts, read 205,617 times
Two words: PROPERTY TAXES

Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
But I think factoring in the median income makes it so. A $140,000 house here seems reasonable (or a bargain) to just about anyone across the U.S., especially if they make at least $50,000/year.
And the thing is, the *quality* and/or *newness* and/or *size* of home that one can purchase in El Paso for $140,000 is STAGGERING compared to what that $140K will get you in other markets.

In Albuquerque, $140K will get you a mediocre house. In Denver, $140K will get you a fixer-up-er in generally so-so areas at best. In LA, $140K will get you a shack where you would fear for your life - literally. In El Paso, $140K will get you a brand new home in a decent neighborhood with 3 BRs, 2 BAs and near 2000 square feet. A palm tree or two in front to boot.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashman View Post
Two words: PROPERTY TAXES
They are high in EP, absolutely, although this is somewhat offset by the lack of personal income tax there.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
This list looked very odd at first glance. First, I was wondering why Boston is not on the least affordable list, since that city has always been ridiculously unaffordable.

Quote: The National Association of Home Builders and Wells Fargo have put together an index of the most and least affordable metro areas. The index was created by calculating what percentage of a city's residents making the median income can afford a house in that city.

After thinking about it, this really confirms my point that El Paso is a city of minimum wage earners. Yes, there are some good jobs; but apparently far and few between, and perhaps, Fort Bliss residents are helping keep the city afloat. Even to purchase a home at $131,000 (assuming this is an accurate median price) takes a considerable amount of income, especially when you consider the enormous property tax residents here have to pay.

Last edited by 1979; 02-20-2009 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso