Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:25 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times

Advertisements

I posted about this in the Mexico forum, but this also applies to how your tax dollars now are going to protect this family, the mayor of Juarez. Should EPPD foot the bill for this? Has this happened in the past, or is this a one time thing for Juarez/El Paso?

After threats, Juárez mayor in El Paso - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Either he's a US citizen or a permanent-resident and entitled to the same protection as other citizens or residents facing the same threats. I know many Juarenses who have moved to the US due to the violence and threats in Mexico. The drug wars are caused by US demand. We can't pretend it's not our problem.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 AM

430 posts, read 1,339,307 times
As long as he is a US or legal citizen...then ok I understand.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
I can't say I want the U.S footing the bill for all of Mexico's problems but I have no problem with this. A death threat transcends money. I'm fine with it.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM

270 posts, read 626,234 times
The only problem is I dont like the message that he is senting to his city. He should had stood his ground or resigned. LEAD or get the hell out of the way!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
The only problem is I dont like the message that he is senting to his city. He should had stood his ground or resigned. LEAD or get the hell out of the way!
He doesn't have many options 1) resign 2) live in Juarez with a high probability of assassination 3) live in El Paso with a lower probability of assassination. If he resigns I doubt there is anybody who wants to take his place.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
He doesn't have many options 1) resign 2) live in Juarez with a high probability of assassination 3) live in El Paso with a lower probability of assassination. If he resigns I doubt there is anybody who wants to take his place.
What a mess down there!! I recently volunteered to go to Juarez since alot of the Engineers where I work are to scared to pay one of our vendors a visit. I am not scared but hope it does not come back to bite me

Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
Exactly. They're all running like crazy and what does that leave their city? It's like they're all fleeing a sinking ship, and nothing will sink it faster than no one staying to try to fix things. It's foolish to think their enemies can't come over here just as easily, the whole mess will follow them.

We should want a stable Mexico. Open borders is not accomplishing that.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 AM

430 posts, read 1,339,307 times
From what I gather, he has had a house here for awhile. I feel bad for the neighbors. Nothing is stopping people from coming over here to get him. Don't get me wrong. I understand that his family needs protection but I fear for the neighbors and the bloodshed that may spill over here. Not just his but that of others as well. Hell, if
he was my neighbor, I'd have to move my family away.

If the tables were turned and it was our mayor running, I'd feel pretty uneasy.

My daughter had a friend that she used to go over and play with. According to this girls family, her uncle was a high ranking official in Juarez who would visit often. Unfortunatley.....and you may think I'm horrible for doing this.....I no longer allow my daughter to go over to this girls house. I just can't take the chance of something happening to her. Who's to say that criminals wont try to get to this guys family over here. This whole thing is so screwed up.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
They had a story on this on FOX news a while ago earlier this morning. I didn't watch much of President Obama's speech last night. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if he mentioned anything about beefing up security at the border. Or shutting down the border. Or doing SOMETHING about the border.

I haven't been to El Paso in a long time, but I enjoyed the area when i did. That's all the hell this area needs is a bunch of punks steamrolling across the border on a vigilante mission.

This situation is absolutely disgusting.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-25-2009 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso