Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:34 PM

134 posts, read 317,951 times

Advertisements

I've heard people say that El Paso is the capital of southern New Mexico but its obviously in West Texas, not to mention its a cousin of Chihuahua.

Its unique position and culture reminds me of Istanbul; bridging two different worlds with lots of other flavors mixed in - giving it a unique identity all its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Here is a map of the cultural regions of Texas. West Texas is #11; area #12 is also called The Trans-Pecos or Far West Texas:

Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,031 times
I agree with malamute" El paso is El paso nothing more, nothing less.
I have been here over a year now not once have I felt like I was in west Texas just El paso.
To me El paso is more like NM then TX.
At the same time it is all by itself to.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times
Our "beloved" city leaders have helped isolate ELP from the rest of Texas. The City of El Paso will continue to get shafted until the leaders get with the program and start to "play Texas Politics". I hate to say it but that is the hard truth.

Most El Pasoans identify more with New Mexico or Juarez. WHen I moved to Austin I saw Texas Pride for the first time in my life. When in ELP I wear my Texas (UT) garb. When I am in ATX I wear my UTEP and ELP t-shirts. But I love ELP and am gonna move back soon.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
Our "beloved" city leaders have helped isolate ELP from the rest of Texas. The City of El Paso will continue to get shafted until the leaders get with the program and start to "play Texas Politics". I hate to say it but that is the hard truth.

Most El Pasoans identify more with New Mexico or Juarez. WHen I moved to Austin I saw Texas Pride for the first time in my life. When in ELP I wear my Texas (UT) garb. When I am in ATX I wear my UTEP and ELP t-shirts. But I love ELP and am gonna move back soon.
It's also the fact that the rest of Texas is a heck of a ways away. "The sun is riz, the sun is set and we ain't out of Texas yet." Well when you get to El Paso, you're finally about out of Texas.

I see El Paso as just a place at the edge. At the edge of Texas, at the edge of New Mexico, at the edge of the USA, at the edge of the Rocky Mountains.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:37 PM

479 posts, read 1,294,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's also the fact that the rest of Texas is a heck of a ways away. "The sun is riz, the sun is set and we ain't out of Texas yet." Well when you get to El Paso, you're finally about out of Texas.

I see El Paso as just a place at the edge. At the edge of Texas, at the edge of New Mexico, at the edge of the USA, at the edge of the Rocky Mountains.
so in other words El Paso is a very "edgy" city?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:43 PM

756 posts, read 2,000,031 times
I think El paso could be its own state, it stands by itself.
That is not always a good thing.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 AM

195 posts, read 657,960 times
El Paso is considered Far West Texas which is cool and all. But all in all it is West Texas. You don't hear people calling Brownsville Far South Texas, or Texarkana Far East Texas. There are just stupid people out there. I guess if you reference that map a few posts prior to this it could be considered Upper Rio Grande Valley. I really hope we don't start this whole El Paso isn't Texas conversation again. I will get in it with whoever wants to say some bulls**t like that. There are statelines for a reason, enough said. McCoy!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfmccoy View Post
El Paso is considered Far West Texas which is cool and all. But all in all it is West Texas. You don't hear people calling Brownsville Far South Texas, or Texarkana Far East Texas. There are just stupid people out there. I guess if you reference that map a few posts prior to this it could be considered Upper Rio Grande Valley. I really hope we don't start this whole El Paso isn't Texas conversation again. I will get in it with whoever wants to say some bulls**t like that. There are statelines for a reason, enough said. McCoy!
I mentioned west Texas being flat on some thread, but was quickly corrected that El Paso had mountains. I then mentioned it as being FAR west Texas and there was a lot more to west Texas than way out there nearly out of state and it was very flat and barren. I agree. El Paso is in Texas and therefore, it is part of Texas. This "stands alone" thing is strange. Many think Texas stands alone as well.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,463 times
some companies on e- bay say beautiful west texas land... near big bend. ??? hunh!!! how can deep south texas be considered west?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso