Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:28 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,549 times

Advertisements

I believe the plan is called "El Paso Downtown 2015 Plan", so I'm not sure if that date is indicative of when we should expect the renovation to be completed by. I would expect to see a modest to significant change compared to how downtown is currently perceived, though.

There are lots of infrastructure improvements going on downtown currently with streets, etc. As for the quality of life stuff, I would say the renovation of the Internation Hotel to the Hilton DoubleTree will be a major victory downtown. This to me is a major blemish to the El Paso skyline that had to be acted upon. Scheduled completion is Feb. '09. I remember reading somewhere that the Plaza hotel will be undergoing major renovation in the next 30 months either as a new luxury hotel or as condos. There are other projects going on like the construction of the new Federal courthouse and a new 18 story office building. Unfortunately they're razing the old Federal Reserve building (which I don't agree with), but such is progress..

The new history museum and public library areas are also a recent improvement to downtown that is really nice. I particularly like to take my dogs for a stroll through the northern part of downtown like this area. So I guess the revitalization is already impacting people like me.

Refer to the complete plan here:
http://www.ci.el-paso.tx.us/downtown_plan.asp (broken link)

News on International Hotel:
http://www.elpasotimes.com/search/ci_5499938

News on Toltec/new Office building:
http://www.elpasotimes.com/search/ci_5552503
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplifestyle View Post

The results:

A regional toll authority that will generate funds for infrastructure (yay!).
The members will appointed, not elected (boo!).

A plan to renovate downtown (yay!).
That will likely shut down small business and effectively steal people's land (boo!).

More contracts for El Paso businesses (yay!).
If you know the right people (boo!).
Lets hope that these do not come to pass for EP...I know when i lived in Jacksonville they had the JTA or Jacksonville Transportation Authority who are appointed but has done a good job on the feeway projects there including the massive Dames Point Bridge and Loop I-295 expansion around the city. Its being proposed up here in ABQ and not sure how it will play out in the future (enjoyEP any info ?).

Also on the newspapers here are the corruption charges with the former state Senate President (arargon) and former Mayor of ABQ (schultz ) about kickbacks in the new metro and county Court Houses construction. We just convicted reciently the State Treasurer (vigil) on federal corruption charges so this kind of stuff can happen anywhere and people should keep a watchful eye but lets not stop progress if its legal at the same token. Thats my 2 cents worth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso