Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM

729 posts, read 2,066,634 times

Advertisements

For what I have heard from folks in Austin this city wanted to stay a small hippie town back in the 60's and 70's. The city leaders tried to discourage big corporations from settling here. Well they could not stop change and progress. That gave way to a big problem with the infrastructure. The city could not keep up with the inflow of new residents in the late 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Anybody that has lived here can tell you that we have a big problem with traffic. With the new tollways it has alleviated some of the headaches but not by much.

ELP must shed this isolation, small town mentality really fast! The troops are coming...they will bring their families...they will drive their cars... they will buy new homes. ELP must keep up or else face years of infrastructure headaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrobinson73 View Post
The way I see it, there are 2 different things going on.

I cannot fathom why El Paso doesn't cash in on the whole "wild west" theme? i mean, think about it ~ there is a thread on here that talks about El Paso "standing on its own" how its not really part of texas, much less west texas an yadda yadda yadda. Ok then! BE EL PASO! and El Paso is the "wild wild west!" Sheesh its not complicated! hehehe.

someone suggested the cowboy boot capital of the US ~~ great!!!! Make it that! Start focusing on the historical parts too! There is a cattlamans steakhouse in Fabiens that is supposed to be really cool. On the website it says its a full working ranch, with a rattlesnake pit and petting zoo ~~~and even has had movies filmed there. That is the place I plan on taking any and everyone who comes to visit me ~ cuz that is to ME what I imagine *el paso* as. Why can't el paso capitalize on that kind of image?

He he there is also Marty Robbins and his song ~ do something with that ~ make a billboard that says "down in the west texas town of el paso ~ you'll find a great place to stay for a few days" ((okay i suck at slogans, but you get my idea?)

Ok i'll stop rambling, but i just don't get why its such a problem. I dont even live there yet, and im soo frustrated at the city leaders/political leaders. Im not saying you gotta spend a ton of money building new things ~ just clean up and be creative and show what you do have with PRIDE ~~~

letting it stay icky on I -10 cuz you want to stay a "small city" or what ever just makes NO sense to me.............. If el paso could just have a more positive image, it would be able to thrive..................

Good post! I think the wild west theme is a good one because people who are intrigued by El Paso usually cite that one.

And I know some people don't like it but El Paso really is a good central location for some good side trips. If someone spent a week here, there are some pretty nice day trips. Carlsbad Caverns, the Gila Cliff Dwellings. Ruidoso. Of course they all have their own hotels closer.

Or maybe we should play up the military. It's a big big reason people are coming here, and military retiring here has always been one way people relocate here. Too bad the old Fort Bliss barracks near downtown aren't a museum of some kind.

El Paso has always been too willing to tear down it's history, the old Fort Bliss is still standing, it would make a good historic spot to visit. Near I-10 and everything.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 AM

479 posts, read 1,293,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Good post! I think the wild west theme is a good one because people who are intrigued by El Paso usually cite that one.

And I know some people don't like it but El Paso really is a good central location for some good side trips. If someone spent a week here, there are some pretty nice day trips. Carlsbad Caverns, the Gila Cliff Dwellings. Ruidoso. Of course they all have their own hotels closer.

Or maybe we should play up the military. It's a big big reason people are coming here, and military retiring here has always been one way people relocate here. Too bad the old Fort Bliss barracks near downtown aren't a museum of some kind.

El Paso has always been too willing to tear down it's history, the old Fort Bliss is still standing, it would make a good historic spot to visit. Near I-10 and everything.
History buffs would love that idea of visiting Old Fort Bliss. My husband is very excited about seeing stuff like that ~ and it even ties into the "wild west" theme ~ there is just so much history in El Paso!!! Its a shame not to capitalize on that!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:15 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
The way I see it, there are 2 different things going on.

#1. Anyone who is NOT familiar with El Paso gets this idea in their head that El Paso is like the "wild wild west" and with that comes a "preconceived" idea about what it looks like. So then when they are driving through on I 10 and it looks like DOO DOO......very poor run down, the kind of place that just looks depressing ~ it is just a huge turn off /dissapointment.

I can't tell you how many times now, since i've been talking with people about moving and stuff, when they find out were getting stationed at Bliss ~~~ the first thing I get is "oh, wow im sorry"...........and i laugh and ask why, and I get "oh well we drove through there once, its so ugly your going to hate it. Very poor and run down, that sucks I hope you get out of there soon!" and then I ask "well have you ever been in El Paso other than the freeway?" "no and why would I want to?"

Maybe its a pride thing with me, I dont' know, but I am not even THERE in el paso yet, and I take it personally that people feel sorry for me that Im going to be living there, and that they think its so ugly. AND THEY DONT' THINK ITS UGLY B/C OF THE DESERT ~ ITS THE LAY OUT AND SET UP OF THE CITY ON I 10! Anyone who hates the desert is not going to like ANY city in the desert ~ it woudln't be just El Paso that they didnt' like! I have told everyone that they need to drive through there and check it out before they form an opinion ~ but hehe so far no one that i know of went back just to do that

#2 All it would take is just really emphasizing what is already in El Paso. Clean up the areas on the free way. Maybe plant some cactus and native el paso desert sort of stuff. Create some bill boards, INVITE people to look around. Nothing that takes tons and tons of money ~ sure it will cost some, but what doens't cost these days?

I cannot fathom why El Paso doesn't cash in on the whole "wild west" theme? i mean, think about it ~ there is a thread on here that talks about El Paso "standing on its own" how its not really part of texas, much less west texas an yadda yadda yadda. Ok then! BE EL PASO! and El Paso is the "wild wild west!" Sheesh its not complicated! hehehe.

someone suggested the cowboy boot capital of the US ~~ great!!!! Make it that! Start focusing on the historical parts too! There is a cattlamans steakhouse in Fabiens that is supposed to be really cool. On the website it says its a full working ranch, with a rattlesnake pit and petting zoo ~~~and even has had movies filmed there. That is the place I plan on taking any and everyone who comes to visit me ~ cuz that is to ME what I imagine *el paso* as. Why can't el paso capitalize on that kind of image?

He he there is also Marty Robbins and his song ~ do something with that ~ make a billboard that says "down in the west texas town of el paso ~ you'll find a great place to stay for a few days" ((okay i suck at slogans, but you get my idea?)

Ok i'll stop rambling, but i just don't get why its such a problem. I dont even live there yet, and im soo frustrated at the city leaders/political leaders. Im not saying you gotta spend a ton of money building new things ~ just clean up and be creative and show what you do have with PRIDE ~~~

letting it stay icky on I -10 cuz you want to stay a "small city" or what ever just makes NO sense to me.............. If el paso could just have a more positive image, it would be able to thrive..................
A great post mrsrobinson . Also remember the city council approved the $1 billion in road bonds late last year to rehabilitate I-10 which will include monies to beautify it which should start in the summer 2009.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
History buffs would love that idea of visiting Old Fort Bliss. My husband is very excited about seeing stuff like that ~ and it even ties into the "wild west" theme ~ there is just so much history in El Paso!!! Its a shame not to capitalize on that!
There is even a cool old ghost fort -- Fort Selden -- which is interesting and historic, very scenic. Not too much of it is standing but it's great for history fans. All those, and the stage coach routes -- that restaurant La Posta is in an old inn from a stage coach stop and Old Mesilla has some nice history.

Last edited by malamute; 04-09-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
There is even a cool old ghost fort -- Fort Selden -- which is interesting and historic, very scenic. Not too much of it is standing but it's great for history fans. All those, and the stage coach routes -- that restaurant La Posta is in an old inn from a stage coach stop and Old Mesilla has some nice history.
cool ~ where is fort selden? See that kind of stuff is cool if you ask me

Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 AM

Attractions | Southwest | Fort Selden State Monument | New Mexico Magazine Links Directory (http://www.nmmagazine.com/links_directory/listing.php?id=1034 - broken link)

http://www.nmmagazine.com/links_directory/user_media/logo/images/1034.jpg (broken link)

It's by Radium Springs just north of Las Cruces. It's mostly in ruins as it was decommissioned long ago but you can see the outlines where the old walls are partly standing and there is a little museum. Douglas MacArthur spent some of his time there as a boy when his father was stationed there. It was also where the Buffalo Soldiers were stationed.

It's nice because it's close by, it something to do when you want to go for a drive.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Fort Selden State Monument (http://www.zianet.com/focus/places/selden.htm - broken link)

Another website with information.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Attractions | Southwest | Fort Selden State Monument | New Mexico Magazine Links Directory (http://www.nmmagazine.com/links_directory/listing.php?id=1034 - broken link)

It's by Radium Springs just north of Las Cruces. It's mostly in ruins as it was decommissioned long ago but you can see the outlines where the old walls are partly standing and there is a little museum. Douglas MacArthur spent some of his time there as a boy when his father was stationed there. It was also where the Buffalo Soldiers were stationed.

It's nice because it's close by, it something to do when you want to go for a drive.
Hey thanks for the info malamute!!!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:35 AM

730 posts, read 1,894,896 times
Default Our outlet mall

Our outlet mall is fine, and more development around it may make it worth stopping for, but the fact remains, you see it when you are on your way OUT OF TOWN with another city only 38 miles up the road. Folks coming from the other direction may stop there but if only that traffic sees the outlet mall as a place to stop, there is revenue out the tail end. Las Palmas is just another large strip mall that you see anywhere...most folks will probably not stop except to eat or use the bathroom but not hang out for more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Almost everyone knows about the outlet malls in San Marcos; the city is nice enough without it, but most people never go into the city, they go because of the malls.

And they come from far away; I have family in Mexico, DF, that drive up all the way just to shop there once a year. We go now and again ourselves, and we live in Houston.

Of course, there are plenty of stores in Houston, but the outlet malls have much better selection, and better prices, all consolidated on a stretch of I35.

So, maybe El Paso can try that?

And take note of this, I recall when the outlet malls in San Marcos first came into existence, they were ugly, and not big at all. But becuase people kept coming, the place kept growing. Each year stores would be added, so 25 years later, it is really something.

They tore down the original warehouse looking buildings and replaced them with modern California style shopping centers. There are huge tax revenues for the city, and it has spurred business all around the area. There is even a new Embassy Suites down the road, and it's in the middle of nowhere basically. That gives you an idea of what it means, that is, many people travel just to shop there and stay at the Embassy Suites.

Of course, it's been mentioned several times in several threads, an amusement park of some sort would be nice. El Paso lost out to San Antonio for Sea World, but San Antonio already had the Riverwalk going for it.

The bottom line is this, there is always a beginning. El Paso, nor any of us can expect this to happen overnight, but what El Paso and everyone else needs to understand is that you must start somewhere. With the exception of natural wonders, nothing has ever materialized out of thin air. One must make a start, just like life itself.

So far, El Paso has not done anything on a grand scale. So what if it takes ten years, or even 15? El Paso will be there ten years from now, and if El Paso begins now, that will be ten years ahead of schedule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso