Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

"Do some of the taxi drivers know English"

Yes -- and the ones that don't will go out of their way to help you -- all you have to do is tell them where you're going -- but ask before you accept the ride before taking a ride. Ask how much to go to such and such -- then there's no surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 07:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I believe all that's over by the Bridge of the Americas -- the free bridge that you can drive across by the Chamizal. There are some big malls. Otherwise if you take a taxi the driver should be able to take you.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 AM

24 posts, read 123,625 times
Default Downtown or Chamizal

When I'm in El Paso, I always take the opportunity to go to Juarez. I disagree with the earlier poster who compared it to Tijuana. Tijuana is dirty and ugly by comparison to Juarez. Juarez has a much nicer, cleaner, and more upscale feel than Tijuana could ever have. Tijuana is far too commercialized and far to designed to cater to the interests of rich Anglos crossing for a good time and cheap wares. Juarez, on the other hand, is much more geared toward local commerce, and so is much more self-respecting and better taken-care-of than Tijuana.

When I go into Juarez, I take one of two crossings. If I want to go into the historic downtown in Juarez, I take the crossing right by downtown El Paso. The architecture in downtown Juarez is wonderful, and the shops and so forth are quite prosperous. There's a little bookstore (in the Libros y Arte Conaculta system) and a bakery there (Pastelandia) that I especially enjoy shopping at.

The other crossing is by Chamizal. I take that one when I want to go to the malls, SMart, and other more suburbia-style shops in Juarez. Few tourists go there, and it's a really nice way to get inexpensive but high-quality everyday items (everyday items like, say, lunch). It's also nice to go into some of the art galleries in that part of town. Walking, however, is tougher. But the bus there is incredibly inexpensive (I seem to remember a 35-centavo fare — which would be about 3¢ to us) — if you don't mind riding in an easter-egg-dyed school bus — standing.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,354 times
Do I need a passport to cross, or is a valid driver's license & birth certificate sufficient?
My passport is missing in action and I am planning on going to see a DJ perform sometimes between Feb. 16th-23rd (not sure of the date yet...)...
I was just wondering the rules regarding crossing and staying for less than 24 hours.

Sorry if this question is tiresome, i just have no idea! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
You need a Passport. Well it seem's to go no, to come back to the USA yes.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — U.S. citizens will be required to show a passport to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, Panama, Bermuda and the Caribbean by 2008, the departments of State and Homeland Security announced Tuesday.
Quote:
Do I need a passport to travel to Mexico?
US citizens have needed a passport to return to the US from Mexico by air since January 23, 2007. For now, you need a combination of a birth certificate *and* driver's license or other state-issued photo id, or a passport only, to visit Mexico by land or sea. If using a birth certificate as identification, you must have the original, with an embossed state seal. If traveling by land, you will need a passport to visit Mexico by January 1, 2008.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 13,298 times
I need to go to the us consulate in juarez is it walking distance at the border and how do I get there and is there places to shop in that area within shopping distance

Old 05-08-2009, 02:38 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Surprisingly the US Consulate site does not show a map: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov

The new Consulate is not near the border and is way out in the boonies across the street from Las Misiones Mall. You'd have to drive or take a bus or taxi from the downtown bridge.

This hotel is across the street from the mall & Consulate (see map)
Map of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cd. Juarez - Las Misiones Area, Juarez, Mexico

Las Misiones Shopping Center Ciudad Juarez

The folks at the Juarez forum may also be able to help you:
http://www.smf.juarez-mexico.com/index.php?board=18.0

Old 05-08-2009, 04:42 PM

102 posts, read 265,840 times
I thought a passport would not be in effect until June 1, 2009 for returning to the U.S.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,362 times
I come to Juarez to go to the dentist and doctor here. Medical appointments are cheap here if you know where to go. I also go to the cybercafe here. Plus eating the real MExican food. I have never gone to Cancun or Acapulco as I am a desert rat!..But I have fun in Juarez nevertheless. I am here now

Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 PM

102 posts, read 265,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
Plus eating the real MExican food.
and where are the good MExican restaurants in Juarez?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso