Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnjmaster View Post
new take on El Paso, i hate it! The Mexicans in my neighborhood have good parties every weekend but they wont talk to me much cuz imma GRINGO! i wanna fiesta! lol
Take over a case of beer and they will let you in.

No seriously. I hate to say this about my peeps...if you take the time to be friendly they will open their house to you. Sometimes we are not very outgoing.

I will go as far and say go out of your way to be friendly and they will throw a cookout to meet you and marry you to their oldest daughter (just kidding about the daughter comment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
On the flip side, all the people in my neighborhood will take a plate of food to my house if I don't go their parties.

Imagine that!

Not all Hispanics are the same! Some are quiet, some keep to themselves, some are super friendly, etc. It's almost like Hispanics are like all other races and cultures and have individuality and are not clones.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnjmaster View Post
new take on El Paso, i hate it! The Mexicans in my neighborhood have good parties every weekend but they wont talk to me much cuz imma GRINGO! i wanna fiesta! lol
Those might be family parties where it's pretty much the kinfolk only.

What you often see -- the family all gets together on the weekend. And again the next weekend, and the next and the next and the next. Sometimes that's what they do, get the whole family together, eat and drink beer every weekend.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:13 PM

14 posts, read 44,210 times
1 first impression-thank you God, this place is so much bigger than Hinesville Georgia!
2 thing that you first noticed [insignificant or not]-where's the green?
3 one thing that u liked-so much shopping
4 one thing that you immediately disliked-it was sooooo windy!
5 where are you from?-North Carolina
6 thing that made you miss home?-lack of green, skylines, friends and family
7 your ultimate conclusion after being here atleast 1 year-haven't been here for that long yet
8 was your first impression correct or totally off?-correct
9 would you consider stying in el paso after the military?-no, and not that I don't like it here, I am just very much in love with the east coast and miss my friends and family so much.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,949 times
first impression: I really liked the mountains.

2 thing that you first noticed [insignificant or not: the mountains, no grass or water, the heat.

3 one thing that u liked: the mountains

4 one thing that you immediately disliked: the lack of green and water

5 where are you from? Buffalo NY

6 thing that made you miss home? the green, the lake, the food, the festivals and free music, the change in weather

7 your ultimate conclusion after being here atleast 1 year: only been here a few months and dont know anyone really...soooooo I cant answer this

8 was your first impression correct or totally off? so far, correct

9 would you consider stying in el paso after the military? NO I miss home

Old 09-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Regarding #6, there are festivals and free music here too - especially in the downtown area. Make sure to read El Tiempo in the Friday El Paso Times and also read El Paso Inc. Many, many festivals and free events go by unnoticed.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
I've been to El Paso hundreds of times, but I had never served there.

My father served there for 2 years, in Ft. Bliss. He liked it, but it was really hot there during the summers. 2 of my siblings was born in the Army hospital there in Ft. Bliss.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:04 PM

158 posts, read 471,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post

1 first impression Wow look at those mountains, how beautiful.

2 thing that you first noticed [insignificant or not] Every single person we encountered was friendly and smiling. Wonderful.

3 one thing that u liked The culture here, I absolutely love it.

4 one thing that you immediately disliked Staying in temp quarters with swamp coolers. I really didn't like the swamp cooler after having lived in refridgerated air all of my life. Sorry.

5 where are you from? A few decades ago I was from Kentucky, now I am from everywhere.

6 thing that made you miss home? It doesn't have to do with El Paso it has to do with Bliss, we spent a very long time at Hood and it is a huge instillation. I'm past that now though

7 your ultimate conclusion after being here atleast 1 year We've only been here a few months and I can't see our opinion changing about El Paso ~ ever.
8 was your first impression correct or totally off? It was correct, we have become very attached to EP and we will be very sad to leave.

9 would you consider stying in el paso after the military? We have actually discussed that, and we both would either want to stay as long as we can or come back and retire here. That's how much we have come to love EP. (We've never been anywhere until here that we even wanted to stay longer or come back to much less retire there.
My responses in blue.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 AM

Nice post Armywife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: