Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 12:40 PM

79 posts, read 326,565 times

Advertisements

acckkk! June 1st is fast approaching and we still haven't decided where we want to rent. I originally wanted to rent in the Chapin High school district, but have had no luck in finding a place under $1000/month.
So now I am looking at Santa Teresa or Horizon.
I have a high school freshman who is an exceptional band student and a bit of an over-achiever (teachers pet, nerd...whatever the kids feel like calling him). I also have a very active 4 year old who LOVES walking to the park on a dialy basis.
We currently live in Rio Rancho, NM and have grown to appreciate the suburb lifestyle. Any suggestions on which direction we should go?
Also, how would it work with living in NM and working in TX? Do you still have to pay state income taxes if you work in TX and live in NM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:39 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,191,620 times
Default Depends...

If you are referring to taxes on income earned at your job in Texas, then no. You are fulfilling the tax laws of Texas already, and it does not matter if you live in New Mexico, or Colorado.

However, if you have any other income, risidual, investments, etc., then you will need to report that income in New Mexico and pay taxes on it.

If you telecommute, then it becomes a problem, just don't tell anyone you do that in New Mexico.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,097,548 times
Horizon and Santa Teresa are on opposite ends of the city - I live near Chapin and am surprised you haven't been able to find a rental in your price range. I might be able to post a link for you later with a rental property manager.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,423,812 times
Not 100% sure but you may have to pay New Mexico income taxes regardless of where you work since you would be considered a resident of New Mexico.

Per below:
"2. What is New Mexico's personal income tax rate?
New Mexico uses a four-bracket, graduated-rate table ranging from 1.7% to 5.3% of taxable income.
3. Who is required to file?
Two situations require you to file personal income tax returns in New Mexico:
1. If you are required to file a federal tax return with the IRS and you are a New Mexico resident, you
must file a state income tax return.
2. If you are required to file a federal income tax return with the IRS and you are a nonresident with
income or loss from any business transaction, property, or employment within New Mexico, you
must file a state income tax return"

more info on the link http://www.tax.state.nm.us/oos/PersonalIncomeTaxFAQ.pdf

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,702,106 times
I'm pretty sure you only have to pay NM income tax on income earned in NM. You have to file, but you will get credit for income earned elsewhere.

Don't know about schools in Horizon City, but the school district that includes Santa Teresa is not too great.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 AM

4,246 posts, read 11,979,901 times
Like others have said but disagreed with until I seen the property tax.

100k home in NM = $800/yr at most
100k home in Tx (EP) = 2000/yr at minimum

But then again good luck finding a home in Santa Teresa that's under 150k and updated. Most houses right across the border are pretty small and ghetto for far to much money.

Ruidoso in a great location that never breaks 85 in the summer has a tax of around 400 bucks for a 80k home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso