Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

And I left off crime. Over in Dallas, you have a lot worse crime. Violent crime. Here if we don't lock the doors at night nothing happens but if we don't lock them when we leave for work we might lose a television. Over there you can be mugged and have to worry if your car breaks down at night, here we don't fear those things. If the money is what you love most -- that's your perogative.

I'd hate to see your electric bill with the air conditioner season about to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
Default I don't know about you

I don't know...you are such a braggart and it's really unappetizing. Do you think your station in life is so much better than anyone who posts here? In the anonymous world of internet maybe you are just full of it. Do you think we always need to know you will inherit your parent's house? It sounds excessively morbid. You have really degenerated from your "Love El Paso or Leave it" rhetoric to just very self indulgent and self centered garbage. I honestly do not know if you offer anything to this forum that is of use to anyone. To tell someone looking for information on El Paso or base housing to "just look it up in a book" is just plain naive. I think most of us who post here regularly are trying to help those coming here and want more than just what they can get out of a book. So, if you are not really into helping anyone, or just hate anyone coming here, maybe you can give it a rest. Really....give us a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
So that means that with all the money I make plus inheriting my mother's house and fortune..I am fixed for life and not have to worry about my financial future..YEs..that Bowie high school graduate,,my father sure knew how to make his fortune..now my parents live on their retirement in ELP which is about $4,000 a month!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Isn't $4,000 a month only $36,000 a year? That is nice but not set for life money.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 PM

11 posts, read 26,281 times
4 grand a month is 48 thousand a year.

It's what I make now, after taxes it ain't so pretty....

Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyteacher View Post
4 grand a month is 48 thousand a year.

It's what I make now, after taxes it ain't so pretty....

LOL, how did I blow that one!

48K is cool if all your bills and mortgage are paid off. I couldn't live on 48K w/ my current bills.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:43 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Most of my son's math teachers have been unilingual anglos.

FYI: The smaller school boards on the east side of El Paso have slightly higher starting salaries and possibly incentives.

$39,500 El Paso ISD
$40,100 Ysleta ISD
$40,150 Socorro ISD
$41,000 Clint ISD
These little wages do not compare to what I am getting paid to teach Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus here in Dallas. I recomend anyone who wants a good wage in any good job leave ELP..look at me ..I made it on my own..AND by the way...I am NOT Anglo..I am a Chicana that speaks both English and Spanish...or should I say..I am bilingual..(I hate those words ..like Hispanic, Latina, and so on)

Old 05-16-2009, 04:32 PM

And has been pointed out in this thread, a lot of people would rather make $40K and live in El Paso than make $60K and live in DFW. To each their own.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:09 PM

I know all about cool desert nites, nice people, and so on..I was in ELP from 1.5 yrs old until I was 19 and left to attend the University of Tx at Austin..and my family still lives there..I go quite often..it is only a little over an hour flight from either Love Field or DFW...I call my mother twice a day so she can let me know what is going on there..My first question to her lately...Mother, is it raining there because I have not seen the sun in 30 plus days..Her answer..You know, my child that the sun always shines here..One of the reasons I miss my beloved hometown!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post

LOL, how did I blow that one!

48K is cool if all your bills and mortgage are paid off. I couldn't live on 48K w/ my current bills.
A huge portion of our teaching salary goes to our retirement fund..which is called TRS or Teaching Retirement System, Income Tax, mutural funds, Roth IRA, medical and dental insurance and what ever we else we chose to get deducted from it!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
These little wages do not compare to what I am getting paid to teach Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus here in Dallas. I recomend anyone who wants a good wage in any good job leave ELP..look at me ..I made it on my own..AND by the way...I am NOT Anglo..I am a Chicana that speaks both English and Spanish...or should I say..I am bilingual..(I hate those words ..like Hispanic, Latina, and so on)
Why would someone think you were from England? Someone from England wouldn't likely use "chuco" as part of their user name.

If you didn't live here until you were 1 1/2, then you're not a native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: