Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
Northeast gets a bad rep, but it's pretty peaceful out here, and the traffic is fine. The only drawback is that there are very few good places to eat out here.
True, but I look at it in a different way. With the North/South Freeway, we have the advantage of going east or west for dining and shopping, rather than going from side to side......and, most days I consider it a blessing the northeast isn't overrun with malls, restaurants and such. It keeps our part of town more pristine, quiet and no traffic jams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 PM

28 posts, read 102,764 times
I live in 79936 and I have ADT for the day, and my 12 ga at night. Poor soul that tries to break into my home after 6 PM.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
EL PASO CRIME RATES 2008 (rates per 1000 population)

I combined police department 2008 crime stats by ZIP code with 2008 estimated populations by ZIP code to generate crime rates per 1000 population below.
Looks like mixed results for 79924 (Andress high) area as i can live with that for my favorite part of EP.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM

194 posts, read 440,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsp View Post
true, but i look at it in a different way. With the north/south freeway, we have the advantage of going east or west for dining and shopping, rather than going from side to side......and, most days i consider it a blessing the northeast isn't overrun with malls, restaurants and such. It keeps our part of town more pristine, quiet and no traffic jams.
+1

Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Mr. Siete,

Exactly what aspects of your research surprised you? Do you care to be more specific?

I only ask out of curiousity. There is so much bias regarding the "best" areas of town, where to live, etc. and yet, many El Paso residents don't even know or are familiar with certain areas. They base their opinions on heresay.

I'm not surprised about my zip code rating - 79904. I've lived on the west and east sides of town for 20+ years; ten years in central close to the Rose Garden, and the last ten on the southern edge of 79904 in the northeast. I am happiest with my current place of residence and yet the northeast is the most maligned and misunderstood area of El Paso.

But, I do understand people recommending the areas they know and are familiar with. To each their own, as they say.......lol

Thanks for all the time you took in putting this together.
This is true, people base on heresay. I also wonder if any of the statistics on "low-crime" are related all to an inept police department. I know an entire family that drives without drivers licenses, have illegal registration, and no insurance and nothing ever happens. If they get stopped, the cops don't treat it like a big deal. I also know of a house in my area that has constant drug dealing, the neighbors complain yet nothing ever happens...ever.

I think its funny when people will live in a particular neighborhood based on heresay as well. Especially the typical "west side" verses "east side" argument. The truth of the matter is, so much of this city is homogenous..meaning it all looks similar. You can be in neighborhoods on the east side and their virtually indistinguishable from the west side. Same ticky-tack houses, different location, that is all.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 PM

28 posts, read 92,773 times
I live in the 79938 area and I love it out here.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
This is true, people base on heresay. I also wonder if any of the statistics on "low-crime" are related all to an inept police department. I know an entire family that drives without drivers licenses, have illegal registration, and no insurance and nothing ever happens. If they get stopped, the cops don't treat it like a big deal. I also know of a house in my area that has constant drug dealing, the neighbors complain yet nothing ever happens...ever.

I think its funny when people will live in a particular neighborhood based on heresay as well. Especially the typical "west side" verses "east side" argument. The truth of the matter is, so much of this city is homogenous..meaning it all looks similar. You can be in neighborhoods on the east side and their virtually indistinguishable from the west side. Same ticky-tack houses, different location, that is all.

But there is a difference in neighborhoods -- I think. To me the old part of El Paso has an entirely different feel to it than the new parts. Even the mulberry trees that provide lush shade in some older yards in Central or South but aren't allowed in the new subdivisions and there's no room for them anyhow. In some neighborhoods -- especially on the East side, you see backyards of cement and pools, palm trees, big houses with a lot of flat roofs and clay tile roofs.

Then go over to Sunset Heights or the area close to downtown near Montana, parts of Kern and the houses are old and have a wonderful style, or they are little, cottage style. The far Northeast the neighborhoods are new, lots of driveways with boats, clean yards, more peaked roofs. In the Lower Valley and Upper Valley you can still see a few glimpses of a rural life -- large country estates mixed with trailer parks and boxy little older homes, bigger yards and some green but then of course the gated communities of big houses on tiny lots built about a foot apart.

For me, when I go to another side of town, it feels like I'm in some other city.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
Be carefull with crime statistics very carefull. Just throwing numbers around is like giving a kid a machine gun.

Notice UTEP and Downtown SEEM to have more crime but guess what - on any given day or night both areas have many more people than their resident population. People shopping from Juarez, Students, street people. Downtown has few residents so its population at any given time may be 20 times the number of its residents -that's why the numbers per capita swell. The same with 79902. 79902 is pretty safe and friendly but parts are full of traffic and people as it includes hospitals UTEP and EPCC and Montana , Yandell Sts etc.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
Reading your response to your "research" Mr Siete its obvious you are clueless as to research methods and demographics. Not only that, but as you pasted this research without understanding it -its been "monkey see monkey do" with the responses such as Danielone now saying he will never go downtown because of your raw statistics.

Think about what I wrote and that will explain why downtown and UTEP areas came out much worse than they are.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I think the statistics are helpful and clear up some people's other notions and nothing really surprised me about the rates or numbers.

Even the bad kinds of crime like assaults, we all know that violent crime here tends to be gang related and domestic but also some of the street people most likely have more problems. Someone can be stabbed to death on the block you live, and you can still feel very safe because you aren't running with some gang, you're not spray painting your symbol over those of others.

The robbery and larcency stats also didn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso