Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:09 PM

42 posts, read 98,641 times

Advertisements

I wrote a thread over a week ago about some info on El Paso.....I was worried about finding a job in my field of work (dental) because I am not bi-lingual (some posters said it may be a problem). So, I contacted a dentist in the El Paso area and he said that it would help to speak Spanish, but didn't think it would be a deal breaker. So now I am wondering about something else. My husband and I would like to live on the West side of town because it would be closest to his job, but I have been searching houses online and many of the ones that I like are in other zip codes. Could I have some opinions of the "safer" zip codes to live in? His work would be located in Anthony,TX and the closer we can stay to that, the better.
How about home security systems, is having one worth it? Can anyone comment on the airport (accesible flights, good prices, etc.)? We have a dog.....are there any dog parks, kennels that are recommended? One more thing.....is there an art scene (galleries, indie movie theaters, museums)? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
I know you asked for zip codes but anything on the west side is going to be okay. There is random crime but there is not a crime problem. I would not worry too much about staying extremely close to Anthony. Anything west of downtown will keep you pretty close.

El Paso is a border town, so being able to speak Spanish is always a plus. There is no way around that. In my experience only, not speaking fluent Spanish has never been a problem.

IMO, you don't need a home security system in El Paso.

Be wary of the negative opinions on this forum. A lot of people are going to quickly tell you that art, theater, and museums are not popular here. Don't believe the hype. Get on as many email lists, subscribe to newsletters, read the newspaper. We get broadway shows here. Many many exhibits come through town. There are fairs and exhibits all the time. You just have to be looking for them. There is a lot more to El Paso than drinking. You just have to keep an ear to the ground and seek out the events. They are here.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 PM

"I know you asked for zip codes but anything on the west side is going to be okay. There is random crime but there is not a crime problem. I would not worry too much about staying extremely close to Anthony. Anything west of downtown will keep you pretty close."

I asked for specific zips because I am not familiar with El Paso and all of the online realty websites that I look at divide areas by zip codes. Are the zip codes ending in 28-32 on the West side of downtown?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:21 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,105,317 times
This should help. Anthony is in the top left corner of the map.

http://www.elpasotexas.gov/it/_docum...ide(34x40).pdf

Old 06-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks, Mistabinks! Don't know how I would have found that on my own.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,929,401 times
Anthony has gang problems & is a little too far out for my tastes. If you live closer to Artcraft/Redd/Mesa you will have more conveniences.

I'm not a dog owner but If I was a dog I'd want to stay at the Southwest Animal Care Complex on Country Club Road. I often see the dogs playing out in the large yard & sometimes enjoying the pool.
Southwest Animal Care Complex User Reviews - Santa Teresa, NM 88008 - Citysearch

The main westside ZIPs that I'd consider are 79912 (suburban/shopping/west slope of mountain) and 79932 (upper valley/trees/more rural with new subdivisions). If you have children then being in the "right" school catchment area is a consideration.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:04 PM

730 posts, read 1,885,393 times
I like our airport...pretty accessible and parking I think is very reasonable. I don't think I've ever experienced it being crowded like the hubs. Except for going to other parts of TX, I think most flights are not direct, probably the biggest drawback I have experienced flying from here.

I think having UTEP contributes greatly to the region's arts. I also like the Plaza Theater, especially with the advent of the movie series in August. I can't afford concerts, so this was a good inexpensive option for my fam.

I like Westside, especially the 79912 area. Considered UV, but when we bought, not as many options there (really liked the Willows). I agree with school feeder pattern comment if you have kids.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Anthony has gang problems & is a little too far out for my tastes. If you live closer to Artcraft/Redd/Mesa you will have more conveniences.

I'm not a dog owner but If I was a dog I'd want to stay at the Southwest Animal Care Complex on Country Club Road. I often see the dogs playing out in the large yard & sometimes enjoying the pool.
Southwest Animal Care Complex User Reviews - Santa Teresa, NM 88008 - Citysearch

The main westside ZIPs that I'd consider are 79912 (suburban/shopping/west slope of mountain) and 79932 (upper valley/trees/more rural with new subdivisions). If you have children then being in the "right" school catchment area is a consideration.
Thanks GarySiete! We don't want to live in Anthony...just close enough to where my husband doesn't have to drive more than 20-30 minutes. We want to stay as close as possible to all of the "action". Which brings me to another question...just for the heck of it. What are your thoughts on the downtown area? Any good lofts or homes for sale in that area.

As for children, we don't have any and don't plan on ever having any, but thanks for the advice!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,929,401 times
Not much action downtown. Your best bet for non-suburban /downtown-type action & nightlife is closer to UTEP, Cincinnati Street/Mesa & Kern Place. Many bars & university types.

Kern Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Kern Place is extremely popular with college and university students. The area is known for its glitzy entertainment district, restaurants and coffee shops who cater to both business patrons and university students. After UTEP's basketball and football games, UTEP fans pack the Kern Place area for food and entertainment.
Kern Place contains Cincinnati Street a small bar district, with bars including Hemingway's, Crawdaddy's, GeoGeske (G2), 02 Lounge, Cincinnati Street Bar, Dane's Steakhouse, Loft Bar, Fellini Film Café, Mini Bar, Marco Polo Dive Bar, Muse, and Kern Place Cigars, a cigar shop. Also considered part of the "Cinci" nightlife district are several businesses on the opposite side of Mesa St. including Black Market, Kush Lounge, Toro Burger Bar, and Zepplin's, a popular live music venue. The cross-street is Mesa located directly across from the University of Texas at El Paso. This bar scene has grown over the years and has attracted thousands to its annual Mardi Gras block party as well as after sporting events or concerts. This environment has a mix of what a big city bar scene should provide except it's scaled down. Young men and women make up the majority of the crowds who stop in between classes or after work. Weekends fill the parking lots and sidewalks.
There is an embryonic "loft"/old industrial area west of downtown (W Overland) & I believe also east of downtown but not much in the way of surrounding restaurants/stores. Downtown is dead after business hours.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Why El Paso? Why not Las Cruces? Cheap taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso