Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 AM

84 posts, read 339,170 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that most of EP and the surrounding area is 1,000m+ above sea level. Does this mean that those visiting, or moving to EP, will need a few days to fully acclimatize to the higher altitude - or is the difference so small that it isn't noticable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:54 AM

70 posts, read 227,508 times
I don't think altitude will affect someone up to about 4000ft. I live in Colorado Springs we're at 6000ft here and it took me less than a week to get used to the altitude here. When I go back to EP and I jog in the mornings, I feel like I can run forever.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john gunn View Post
I've noticed that most of EP and the surrounding area is 1,000m+ above sea level. Does this mean that those visiting, or moving to EP, will need a few days to fully acclimatize to the higher altitude - or is the difference so small that it isn't noticable?
You can notice it, but after a couple weeks you'll have adjusted. If you come here from sea level and try to run 2 miles, you may find that you are out of breath. What you can notice more depending on where you're from is the arid climate and it's effects. For a couple weeks you'll be thirsty all the time but then you won't be.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:25 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,039 times
I have often heard other outsiders mention about the altitude of ELP..but it has never affected me..must be because I grew up here along with the tons of my relatives here!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Funny you mention that. We had a family reunion in EP two months ago and one of my relatives is an avid runner so he must run every day no matter what. He mentioned that he felt winded by the 4th mile and he usually runs 7-8 miles no problem where he is from (cali).

Old 06-28-2009, 11:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
You might get some nose bleeds

Old 06-28-2009, 01:20 PM

141 posts, read 466,947 times
I had never considered El Paso to be high enough to experience altitude sickness. I have never heard anyone else mention this. I went from El Paso to Albuquerque (about 3000ft diff) and didn't have any problems, but everyone is different. While looking up some info on this subject I found this pretty cool website on altitude sickness:
About Altitude Sickness

Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post
I had never considered El Paso to be high enough to experience altitude sickness. I have never heard anyone else mention this. I went from El Paso to Albuquerque (about 3000ft diff) and didn't have any problems, but everyone is different. While looking up some info on this subject I found this pretty cool website on altitude sickness:
About Altitude Sickness
You really won't notice it unless you're hiking distances such as going to the top of the Franklin Mountains or running over 2 or 3 miles. If you're running 3 miles or so at sea level and then come here for the first time, you'll find yourself a little out of breath for a week or so. Sitting or simply walking, you can't notice any altitude effect.

No one would actually have altitude sickness, we're not that high up.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
normally people have no problems until the are at 3000 ft or more.

Nita

Old 06-28-2009, 03:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post
About Altitude Sickness
you are right, 1000 ft is nothing, shouldn't cause anyone to get out of breath, have nose bleeds or anything else.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso