Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:20 PM

52 posts, read 159,405 times

Advertisements

Friends will be visiting us in a couple of weeks so I've been trying to figure out what we are going to do while they are here. I've been looking for free (or low cost) things to do and have found a few recommendations on this forum. We might go over to the Border Patrol museum (has anyone been here? Is it nice?), stop up on transmountain to check out the view and then I was thinking of walking around the downtown area. The problem is that, although we have been living here for 1 1/2 years, I have not been down to that area (I've driven through it but not walked through it). Is it worth the time? Are there nice shops there? What streets are the streets that have the best shopping?
Are there any other places you'd recommend? We live down the street from the botanical gardens (it's on Doniphan) and was thinking of going there. I think it only costs $2 per person to get in...but is it nice and worth going to? I would hate to take them over there only to find out it was a waste of time.
They will only be here for the weekend and I don't want to waste time going to crappy places.

Thanks so much!

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Shopping downtown? Really?

I would not take them there lest they think buying clothes by the pound is the norm!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM

Wow, is it really that bad? I'll probably mark that off my list! Thanks for the info!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,039 times
I don't know. I bought some nice new backpacks on Stanton street for my upcoming trip to Japan and they were pretty cheap. you can probably just see what they have and then if you think it is cheap or something, just leave. But I always go when I am in town!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhome View Post
Wow, is it really that bad? I'll probably mark that off my list! Thanks for the info!
Depending on where they're from, they might think our Downtown is interesting at least. I don't think you need to rule it out -- it's different.

I'd take them to Old Mesilla for sure, and you can shop and have lunch there. The Franklin State Park at least for a picnic but hiking is good there too and the views are nice.

If they like antiques there are some good places up and down Doniphan.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 AM

How far is Old Mesilla from El Paso?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
If you and they like baseball, Diablos games are cheap. Love it when they have .25 cent hotdogs and ice cream sandwiches and $1.00 beer. We also like White Sands (pretty cheap entrance fee...bring your own picnic) but of course right now it's weather dependent and stopping in Mesilla for late lunch early dinner at La Posta afterwards (Mesilla is about 37 miles from EP in/near Las Cruces). Ice skating at the Coliseum on Sundays is pretty cheap. Or the War Eagles Museum in Santa Teresa is pretty good also.

I suppose it depends on what they/you are into. Museums, attractions, outdoor/rec activities, sports?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default How about the beautiful Ascarate Lake?

That should be nice, eh?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:45 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
I always recommend Ascarate Lake. Always a good time.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhome View Post
How far is Old Mesilla from El Paso?
From the West side it's not too far, about 25-30 miles, you would want to take Hwy 28 through La Union and the pecan orchards. You can take them to Stahmanns or one of the other pecan farm stores, they might like that. There are places to eat along the way or after you get there.

The scenery is nice, the whole route is scenic. Beautiful view of the mountains and you drive through some large pecan orchards. You also pass by the polo pony place, the alpaca farms, cotton fields, corn fields, alfalfa. Old Mesilla is an old historic town, La Posta is an old stagecoach stop. The shops tend to be nicer than what we have downtown El Paso -- but El Paso's shops are nice if you like the Chinese-made dollar items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso