Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 8,001 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I am looking for some suggestion to where in El Paso is best to look for to live. My husband just got offered a job for CBP (customs and border patrol) and we have to move to El Paso. We currently live in Florida and we've never gone to Texas so we have no idea how it is over there. We have a 2 year old daughter and we are trying to figure out where we should look to live that has good schools and is safe. We are trying not to live close to the border just because of his job. I would really appreciate if anyone that knows El Paso can give us some suggestion. I am very scared since we wont have anybody but each other and we dont know the area. Thank you in advance .

Ruth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 AM

730 posts, read 1,894,896 times
Well, if you surf this forum, you will find SEVERAL threads related to this issue. And you will find a wide variety of opinions. Everyone will have good and bad to say about any region of the city. Many transplants post here, so you will get a lot of "outsider" perspective also. I am one.

We live on the far (northwest) westside. When we moved here(less than 5 yrs ago) we knew no one here but folks we met recommended this area because of the commute to work (near UTEP). We chose this area also b/c we understood that schools in that area rate pretty well (Franklin High School pattern) and that can only help resale of our house.

I guess there are many factors we have to know to suggest a place for you to explore. OH, when you surf any of the threads, especially relevant to anyone moving to El Paso, most of the "haters" are off the forum so don't pay attention to those comments (haters meaning those who do not like outsiders-well, except maybe one, but I guess this person will be out of the country for about a month).

Last edited by Caltep; 07-03-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth123 View Post
Hi everybody,
I am looking for some suggestion to where in El Paso is best to look for to live. My husband just got offered a job for CBP (customs and border patrol) and we have to move to El Paso. We currently live in Florida and we've never gone to Texas so we have no idea how it is over there. We have a 2 year old daughter and we are trying to figure out where we should look to live that has good schools and is safe. We are trying not to live close to the border just because of his job. I would really appreciate if anyone that knows El Paso can give us some suggestion. I am very scared since we wont have anybody but each other and we dont know the area. Thank you in advance .

Ruth

Well for one there's no reason to be afraid. El Paso is a relatively safe city, and there are a lot of CBP type people living here. It's a lot better than other places where they could be stationed as far as families and schools go. His job may be dangerous at times but it won't be dangerous because of living here.

Not living two blocks from the border would have more to do with other reasons than safety.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 AM

270 posts, read 626,234 times
There a lot of great areas to live, just depends on life style and taste. I live on the west side and in my opinion has the better schools.Third safest city because of several Fed and local law enforcement agencies. Difficult for a criminal to make a living.Politics are typical, a lot of fuzzing, then the dust settles until next time.Weather is great, beautiful city with a unique look. Invest in a good grill and sun tan lotion.Recommend you view El Paso Times to get a feel for the city. Check their and other housing ads.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:30 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
The question is where not to live. You'll get a much shorter answer. Central and by the Airport.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:11 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
[quote=Caltep;9584412]Well, if you surf this forum, you will find SEVERAL threads related to this issue. And you will find a wide variety of opinions. Everyone will have good and bad to say about any region of the city. Many transplants post here, so you will get a lot of "outsider" perspective also. I am one.

We live on the far (northwest) westside. When we moved here(less than 5 yrs ago) we knew no one here but folks we met recommended this area because of the commute to work (near UTEP). We chose this area also b/c we understood that schools in that area rate pretty well (Franklin High School pattern) and that can only help resale of our house.

I guess there are many factors we have to know to suggest a place for you to explore. OH, when you surf any of the threads, especially relevant to anyone moving to El Paso, most of the "haters" are off the forum so don't pay attention to those comments (haters meaning those who do not like outsiders-well, except maybe one, but I guess this person will be out of the country for about a month).[/quote]

LOLOL Now I wonder who that is!!!

To the OP - this forum is full of everything you'd want to know about El Paso. Keep an open mind and you'll enjoy the experience of living in the land of big skies, sunsets that will take your breath away and the unique flair of our part of TX.

I've raised a family here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else - until my husband is ready to retire. Welcome and safe travels.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:14 PM

36 posts, read 119,749 times
I just got here 3 days ago, I'm going to rent a home of exit N. Mesa (79912) and I already like the area and I have a good feeling about it. (I went thru a Real Estate Agent) I drove in circles around el Paso twice, looks like the east/south part along I-10 has more restaurants. And the north/west area is more quiet.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times
Anywhere west of Horizon, north of the national border, south of the stateline, and east of Las Cruces!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 AM

195 posts, read 657,728 times
clever ^, but true

Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth123 View Post
Hi everybody,

Ruth
Hi Ruth,
Hope you don't mind my using your name. I interviewed for a job in El Paso, and looks like I will be getting a 2nd. If so I am in the top 2 candidates for the position. I have never been to Texas other than to fly through, and certainly not El Paso. I see you did similar research in your above inquiry, as I am trying to gather as much info to make an educated decision should I be made an offer. Can you share with me your findings? It looks to me, that the west side, of the Mtn is one of the best areas. Apts for temporary accomodations look nice and are inexpensive. What about shopping, Produce markets, furniture stores etc? Would really appriciate your comments.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso