Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 AM

14 posts, read 27,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrena View Post
Mike b1: My wife and I bought land at sunset ranches. We bought it sight unseen. It took us about 3 or 4 months of researching and investigating before we purchased. We are under no false pretense that we could have water, electricity, or any other amenities brought to the land. We know it would cost to do this. I have only 1 question concerning all of this. We know a well will cost around 10,000 or so. Wind turbine, solar panels or a generator system will vary in price for what you need. Cell service I hear is a hit and miss the farther from town you get. The question I do have is the septic system or some form of sewage disposal? What do you use or suggest? My email address is rickrena2@yahoo.com. Please feel free to let me know what ever you can. Thanks

If there is anyone out there that can answer my questions from yesterday that would be appreciated. I have done a lot of research but would still like some answers first hand. I do have another question. How deep did they say the wells were on an average. Does any one know what kind of contaminates are found in the water? I guess that is 2 questions. I was never good with math. LOL Thanks to whoever can help me. My email is rickrena2@yahoo.com.
[LEFT]
I know that your post is several months old, but I lived in Sierra Blanca for about 5 years. It was a while ago, but friends tell me it hasn't changed much.
As for your last question, sewage is usually handled by some sort of septic system. These can vary widely, and Hudspeth County does not meddle in the affairs
of others, unless there is a public safety issue.

Above is a typical septic system. The idea is that solid waste sits in the non-porous primary tank until it liquifies,
and is passed to the secondary tank, where it is absorbed into the ground.

The ground in this part of Texas is so porous, that the primary tank can be very small, and the secondary system can be 50 feet of 4 inch pipe, with holes
perforating the entire length. This pipe is then buried about 3 feet under the surface.

In my case, I took a 55 gallon drum to the firing range, and put about 100 holes in it, and buried it about 5 feet deep, with a PVC pipe
sticking up to the surface. 5 years, and no problems. The tank empties out almost immediately, and with constant use, the
solids decompose, and are absorbed into the ground.

(And this was in town)

There may be some regulations in the city proper, but out in the sticks, anything goes. In fact, the very fact that you own 20 acres, exempts
you from a lot of regulation. You don't need building permits, or inspections. (But if you are not an experienced carpenter, have someone look it over for you)

You can do your own plumbing, and electrical. (Being legal does not mean it is wise.)

I live south of Dallas now, and for the past 20 years have been using a system I put in myself. It consists of 1 500 gallon tank, and 100 feet of pre-made commercial leech line.
See below.

No permit, no inspections, and I bet I put a LOT more liquid into my system than you will out there. Total cost: $700.00, of which $200.00
of it was rental for the use of a backhoe for the day.

Hit me back if you want / need anymore information. Use this address: painless@starband.net

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,094 times
Many areas of the country have hard pan. I live in northern pennsylvania. Hardpan is all over up here and it is farmed on. Believe it or not. Yes, we may have more readily available water. However, there are ways to get water...and eventually it will be piped in, drilled in and pumped up via wind mill. I am sure the water table maybe quite deep nevertheless it is still there.
Eventually everything will be there...roads, electric, water, just like everywhere else in the USA.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,977 times
I am trying to locate a piece of property I bought south of Dell City, in 2006. I have a map, but the precise location is yet to be discerned for me. Can I send the map, and it's location be identified on mapquest, please? Let me know an Email address.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,109 times
If you have the longitude and latitude of the site, you can use Google Maps to find it. It'll give you a map and satellite views, and you can zoom in and out. You'll need not just the degree, minute and second values, but probably below second values as well, for a precise location. Example: 32 26' 38.5" N 106 03 40.5" W. That I typed in at random. It's just off US 54 north of Orogrande in Otero County, New Mexico.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:58 PM

How do I get the Latitude and Longitude from the;

Legal Description: Guadalupe Ranch, Block 69, Tsp 2, Section 22 T&P, Lot 39B.

Property in Hudspeth County, Texas. Dell City.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:00 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,109 times
I don't know. You might want to go to the Hudspeth County Courthouse and talk to them. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,107 times
We are thinking about buying land out in hudspeth county and was curious how easy it was to establish before we jumped on the deal. We don't have much but the land prices seemed to be cheap can someone please tell me what all it takes to get established in that area and what are the best first steps.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasullivan1987 View Post
We are thinking about buying land out in hudspeth county...can someone please tell me what all it takes to get established in that area and what are the best first steps.
Have you read the entire contents of this thread (all of the posts)? Then do a search on the El Paso and Texas forums for a number of other threads that have discussions about living conditions in rural Hudspeth County.

A short summation of all the posted information would translate to something like: It's NOT for sissies. It's a harsh and unforgiving environment.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,907 times
Default water collection

You can use a well water for drinking, because of the heat and sun in the area you can set up areas where you place the well water, shallow pools we can call it, you then place plastic over the top of the shallow pool, under the tarp is your jug and a funnel, you then place a weight in the center of the tarp, the sun will evaporate the water, the bad stuff stays behind in the shallow pool and the distilled water being evaporated then goes up and forms condensation on the plastic, it then runs down to the low area and the droplets form and start dripping into the funnel and fill your water bottles, having a few of these set up will give you plenty of drinking water daily, it is low cost solution for drinking water. Use of the well water for the showers and toilet works great and the drinking water is easily solved with no chemicals that you get with the city water for drinking. I am lloking at buying some land and relocating there for my retirement, I came looking to see what the water situation was like, I appreciate all the people taking the time to post their hard earned knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso