Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:18 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,843 times

Advertisements

I'm good for a double and beef stew burrito once a month [burp]. Though, if anyone can unlock the secret to finding a seat at the Montana location, I'd like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
Though, if anyone can unlock the secret to finding a seat at the Montana location, I'd like to know.
Which is funny because they had the biggest parking lot (before the new eastside locations opened). You could easily park at the Montana Chicos but could never find somewhere to sit.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 PM

111 posts, read 267,045 times
i liked the round hot dogs from there. the screaming goat formerly known as chucos tacos in austin serves rolled tacos. i think they're better than the real thing.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default People like it for simple reasons...

It is what it is. If you go into the Amazon forest, you will find people who eat huge roaches, break open tree bark to pull out juicy, and I guess tasty worms.

It is something people like, you don't have to. If you don't like it, just say 'I don't like it'; you really cannot question someone's taste, you've no control over it.

That said, I know it's not healthy whatsoever, but it satisfies a craving that is unique to El Paso. I loved the burritos, hotdogs smothered in the green chile, and of course the tacos swimming in the sauce... and I'm not ashamed to admit, I put the bowl to my mouth and drank the hot, now green-from-the-chile sauce along with the 'plastic' cheese after eating the tacos!

I say plastic cheese because once in a while when I get a visit from a family member from El Paso, they bring some back, and that cheese will last a year in the fridge, and never goes bad... they should take that stuff on space missions to Mars, because they can wake up in a year and still eat it!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Only place I know that only accepts cash and has security guards on site. And I've never been just what I've heard. I'll make my way there one day.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 AM

524 posts, read 1,370,039 times
I like Chicos Tacos..it was the place to hang out when we were at Burges High School..when I come back to El Paso..I may eat there..what I really like about it is the sauce!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It is what it is. If you go into the Amazon forest, you will find people who eat huge roaches, break open tree bark to pull out juicy, and I guess tasty worms.

It is something people like, you don't have to. If you don't like it, just say 'I don't like it'; you really cannot question someone's taste, you've no control over it.

That said, I know it's not healthy whatsoever, but it satisfies a craving that is unique to El Paso. I loved the burritos, hotdogs smothered in the green chile, and of course the tacos swimming in the sauce... and I'm not ashamed to admit, I put the bowl to my mouth and drank the hot, now green-from-the-chile sauce along with the 'plastic' cheese after eating the tacos!

I say plastic cheese because once in a while when I get a visit from a family member from El Paso, they bring some back, and that cheese will last a year in the fridge, and never goes bad... they should take that stuff on space missions to Mars, because they can wake up in a year and still eat it!
Yes, some people like that kind of food, just like some people love the food sold at carnivals and street festivals -- which is really not all that great.

I think the worst thing with Chicos is that it's become what El Paso is known for as far as food, it's the food that El Paso is famous for having when in reality there is much much better Mexican food here that isn't recognized.

People will come from out of town, go to the "famous" Chicos and that's how we'll be remembered and some will like it but many will see it as the rather tasteless greasy junk food from a can that it is. They might not get past Chicos and have a real New Mexico chile relleno or tacos like you find at Valens on Doniphan or the food at Good Coffee that is more genuine.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:28 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Kiki's and Cattlemens are also both El Paso gems that are very well known nationally. El Pasoans and former El Pasoans are the ones making a big deal out of Chicos. Kiki's, Cattlemens, and a few others are simply known nationally because of their quality.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:57 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgar477 View Post
i liked the round hot dogs from there. the screaming goat formerly known as chucos tacos in austin serves rolled tacos. i think they're better than the real thing.
Chucos Tacos in Austin blows Chicos in El Paso out of the water....not even in the same league.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:00 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
That is more perception than fact. Again, there are only five locations. Some people by default hate things that are perceived as hip or popular. That is one of the reasons there is a love/hate opinion of Chicos Tacos. I don't think anyone can prove what the majority of El Pasoans push as El Paso's claim to fame. Even if you could, what is so ridiculous about people loving Chicos Tacos?
Nothing. I eat there as much as I can when I am in El Paso. But it is the perception that you mention that makes me laugh at people when I ask them..."What makes El Paso famous?" And they say "Chicos Tacos".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso