Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 32,585 times

Advertisements

Mom purchased 2 lots in Horizon City (sight unseen) after being widowed, in 1969. She paid for the land in full, over the years. The land is basically worthless -- in the desert, on the extreme outskirts of the "city" in an area called Shadow Mountain Estates. No roads, no utilities, no nothing. Rather than continuing to throw her money away, she decided to forfeit the land, and stopped paying the taxes and assessment fees. She received a letter recently from DELGADO ACOSTA SPENCER LINEBARGER & PEREZ, the law firm hired by the Town of El Paso to recover delinquent taxes. They informed her that they would be filing a lawsuit against the property to foreclose the lien for delinquent taxes, and that they would not seek any personal liability from her. This was good news. She just wants this land to "go away". A day later, she received a letter from COLLECTIONS UNLIMITED TX INC, demanding payment of assessment fees totaling $1991.80. When I called the Horizon City Improvement Association to ask about the fees, the young woman who answered the phone chuckled and said that the company "got into trouble" over the fees, because they're being collected from property owners who derive absolutely no benefit from the fees, and probably never will. Has anyone else received such a notice? If the land is being foreclosed, is Mom liable for the fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 16,200 times
Default Scam or Not

I have refused to pay the dues to Horizon Cities Improvement Assn as they did't live up to their promises to help develop the Mountain Shadow Estates development. The property is worthless. Now they have passed my back due fees on to a collection agency. I don't think you can sell the land as no one is going to buy it.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM

730 posts, read 1,894,752 times
Heard there is going to be a TV report on a city that was going to promise everything but delivered nothing. I think the report is called "El Paso's Lost City"...maybe this is what they are referring to. Forgot what station.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 15,910 times
I am looking into this for the inlaws. They also have a letter from COLLECTIONS UNLIMITED TX INC.
What did you find out?

Old 01-10-2010, 03:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
You might want to ask a lawyer. One thing in El Paso, the developers are allowed pretty free rein here and they have their political connections but I don't see how the city of El Paso can collect taxes on land outside the city.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 32,585 times
In response to JDEROUSSE: I haven't learned much about COLLECTIONS UNLIMITED, other than they seem to have bought this mailing list, and are trying to collect whatever they can. They've mailed my mother several notices over the past year and a half, out of the blue, each with a different amount allegedly owed. I requested -- in writing -- that they send me a copy of the deed she signed, and an exact breakdown of the amount that she allegedly owes. Did not get the deed, but the breakdown they sent included years that she didn't even own the property! Further evidence that this is a real scam. They HAVE NO real records. I actually called a few times, just to see what they would say. The first time I called, the woman I spoke to was not interested in clarifying anything for me. She just wanted THE MONEY. So I hung up and did nothing. Then another notice came. So I called again. Same woman, but this time she sounded flustered, shuffled papers around, and didn't know any details. She wanted ME to refresh HER memory. That was not happening, so I hung up. Haven't heard anything since. But I'm quite sure that another letter will come, maybe not this week, or this year. But it will come. I'm not worried. I think they're just trying to squeeze whoever they find is still alive (my mother is 86). If they don't succeed with a few threatening letters, they move on to the next name on the list.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 15,616 times
I have been paying my mother's taxes on her four lots in Shadow Mountain Estates. Just getting around to doing some research and it appears the best thing is to default on the taxes and walk away. Any opportunity to donate the land or do something else given it isn't worth anything?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 15,395 times
My ex husband bought this lot in 1968 while serving overseas in the military. We have been divorced for 26 years, so imagine my surprise when I got a collection letter saying I owed $795 in back taxes, 1/2 of which is interest. I tried to go thru the proper chanels to get copies of the deed, association documents, etc., but all I rec'd from the collection agency was a copy of the accrued monthly charges and interest. They're threatening to file a tax lien that will show up on my perfect credit. I've been stalling them by asking for additional documentation, but I feel helpless. I think we should all file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General's Office.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 23,444 times
Default In Spring 2010 we also received a letter demanding back homeowner's fees.

We also got a letter from a collection agency demanding $2500 for back homeowner's fees and a $2500 fee from the collection agency. We have not heard from this association in over 20 years. Also, my husband bought this land in the early 70's has never seen it and it is paid for. My husband was out of work for several years in the 70's and never paid any taxes on this land either. We figured it had been sold at Auction for back taxes. We never heard from El Paso about the taxes. I think this might be a scam too.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 23,554 times
I am trying of get rid of the lot from Mountain Shadow Estates, but no real estate broker wants to handle, since there are no utilities and it is considered as raw land. I would like to donate this lot to a charitable organization, does anybody knows one who is interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso